Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Sliding door parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:33 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts
That program was intended to get drivers to trade in their gas guzzlers to more efficient new vehicles. The target vehicles were those that got combined 18 mpg or less, and the only Aerostars that were not eligible were the 4 cylinder versions as they had higher mileage ratings.

But really, most of us who own Aerostars would not have gone for the deal, since we have them for their functionality (see the on-going thread on "What Good Is An Aerostar"), and there was no equivalent new vehicle that can replace it. Furthermore, no new vehicle in a similar class would have gotten sufficiently better mileage to qualify.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM
asavage
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
. . . for all intensive purposes . . .
Dorman can't even hire people who can write canned responses correctly .

That should read, " . . . intents and purposes . . . ".

Plenty of Aerostars on the roads around here!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:33 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CourierYVR
Fictional Dorman reply:

Dear Jose, thank you for your customer suggestions!

As you are well aware, as the Obama administration implemented the Cash for Clunkers program, we have therefore shifted our product line to the survivors of this government initiative. Unfortunately, the Ford Aerostar, for all intensive purposes, seems to have been the main target for whatever reason.

Thank you for your input!

Dorman Product Customer Relations.

During C-for-C, I saw tons of Windstars/Freestars, but no Aero's, yet there are tons of them driving around, I wonder why?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 PM
CourierYVR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fortunately, there remains plenty of Aerostars on the road. Most of them, and speaking personally as a high mileage driver, seem to be owned and operated by a lessor economically frustrated sector of society. I get excited when I see an Aerostar approaching from the opposite side of the road, or when I am following another Aerostar. But the truth is the majority of the Aerostars that I have come across are severly neglected and suffering from various rust afflictions. I try as best I can to keep my Aerostar running and looking like it was brand new. I am feeling very happy when my Aerostar is running like it was brand new.

Personal Note for asavage: Dorman don't hire people. They outsource their manufacturing to ex-communist Chinese companies.

I would like to conclude with a personal message. I am not an Aerostar fanatic. The Aerostar, as well as the entire automotive industry, has many issues due to competitive manufacturing pressures inclined to keep the end price as low as possible, and to increase the share holder dividends as high as is possible. In the debaticle of engineering vs profit, the profit senerio always wins.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:48 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

It's not just the automotive industry that has pressures to maximize profits; ALL companies that build and sells things have this, so building things "just good enough" is usually good enough. (I work in an industry where "just good enough" is not, so stuff we build tend to be very costly.)

The problems can come when manufacturers take a gamble and cut some corner to save just a little bit of money. If they're lucky, they get away with it. If not, they lose bigger. We the consumers get the net result, sometimes we see it, and sometimes we don't.

One example I'm personally familiar with had to do with a 250 CID 6 cylinder engine that Ford produced in the mid-70's. Some bean counter decided to save one drilling step in the assembly process, the engine suffered insufficient lubrication, causing premature valve train wear. A recall was issued to fix the problem, and to replace the valve trains if necessary.

But it means a lot of the other cost cutting measures paid off, as no significant issues were reported in large enough numbers to justify other recalls.

By the way, what is "debaticle"?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fortunately, there remains plenty of Aerostars on the road. Most of them, and speaking personally as a high mileage driver, seem to be owned and operated by a lessor economically frustrated sector of society.
not me, I'm college educated and a billionaire millionaire who likes the rear wheel drive Aerostar.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 PM
CourierYVR
Senior User
[quote=By the way, what is "debaticle"?[/quote]

A sudden and violent collapse!

Example:

The company's financial debacle left many people jobless and robbed of their life savings. (ruin, disaster).

Old 09-16-2012, 11:49 PM
CourierYVR
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jose A.
not me, I'm college educated and a billionaire millionaire who likes the rear wheel drive Aerostar.
I guess that means we are both college educated.

The difference is your lust for money, and your obsession with inferior low quality rear wheel drive vehicles.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
low quality and inferior is an oxymoron.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

The Aerostar is far from the perfect vehicle, but it works very well as a multi-purpose vehicle that's priced low enough for the general public to afford. Anyone thinking that it's more than that will be disappointed.

"debaticle" A sudden and violent collapse!

Example:

The company's financial debacle left many people jobless and robbed of their life savings. (ruin, disaster).
"debacle" I'll buy. "debaticle" is not in the OED nor MWD, and sounds like a malapropism created by the likes of "W".

Old 09-20-2012, 02:29 PM
themenace1
New User
1993 aerostar

need a sliding door seal.. can anyone help me...
Dennis 510-909-4103

Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
relax courier,
Jose is just jerking your chain. ends when you stop responding to his jerk.
remember, Ted Bundy and Bernie Maddoff were college grads.

A sudden and violent collapse!

Example:

Old 09-20-2012, 04:12 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wander around on these 2 door seal manuf. sites, may find what will work. haven't seen an aero slider door seal kit in years.

Metro Moulded Parts Inc. Automotive Weatherstrip and Rubber Parts

Automotive Replacement Parts, Extruded & Molded Rubber - Lake Zurich, IL - Fairchild Industries

Originally Posted by themenace1
Dennis 510-909-4103

Old 09-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by themenace1
Dennis 510-909-4103
I think it's the same seal as the rear hatch seal, I have a good one if you still need it.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:11 PM
bakada
New User
Originally Posted by bakada
I'm sorry to dredge up an old thread again but in all honesty I cant believe I found this thread. I have a 96 Aerostar and the sliding door rattles like it is open. It drives me nuts. A while back the door jammed up and I pulled a chunk of chewed up plastic out of the bottom track. I thought it was a plastic water bottle cap the kids dropped but after reading this thread it probably was the plastic from the roller. The door isn't what I would call smooth any more but it does close OK it just takes a little ummph to do it. My biggest issue is the rattle. Did I mention it drives me nuts? Last week I finally tried to adjust the door to see If I could quiet it up. I succeeded in sticking the door shut to where I couldn't get it open. I took it to a buddy who owns his own shop (used to work at a Ford dealer) and he was able to use a long pry bar from the inside to pop the latch open. Took him over an hour. (patience of Job that man) He adjusted it as best he could but it still rattles. He suggested maybe a new door gasket to help it seal tighter. I cant find one. I'm still not sure that will do it. The gasket seams to be sealing tight. Did anyone have a rattly door that was fixed by replacing that bottom wheel? I'm willing to do what ever it takes to fix that rattle. If not I'm afraid well have to trade it off.
Thanks for your help
Ok final update. Success. The rattle is finally gone. As mentioned in a previous post I tracked the noise down to something under the rear seat. Thought it was the upper bushing on the Y support of the rear axle. Ordered a bushing. Finally came in and finally had the time to replace it. In the process found the right rear shock upper mount was wallowed out. Looked good at a glance but if you gave it a good shake it moved all over. Replaced the shocks and rattle is gone. Old Y bushing still in place. The right upper mount is close to the sliding door well and the loose shock echoed in it and sounded just like the door rattling on its post. Now I have a smooth rolling, easy closing, quiet door again. Now if I can just get it through my 16 year olds head that its cool to drive the Aerostar to school we are golden. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Sliding door parts?