Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between modern trucks and 30+ year trucks

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:24 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a salesman for a Lincoln-Mercury Toyota dealership in the mid-70's. There were light years of quality and engineering differences between the two manufacturers then but Ford has closed the gap significantly since then. The not so bright idea Mercury Monarch comes to mind. The dealership had to realign the body work, and it was pre-EFI. Even the straight six ran horribly with the spaghetti bowl of vacuum lines in the new catalytic converter era. Plus 20% interest rate during the Carter administration did not help financing the cars.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:22 PM
road_warri0r
New User
Originally Posted by akforceten
that's nice but i will stick with the 30+ year old trucks . mine will out perform any modern truck in load an pulling power . plus if it gets scratched oh well . plus parts don't cost an arm an a leg for the older trucks. i also don't need a computer to fix the truck so you can keep the new piles of $60,000 junk!
I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6 speed which will embarrass your 30 year old truck in every category you could mention, pulling power, load handling, or fuel mileage.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 AM
American Thunder
Elder User
Originally Posted by road_warri0r
I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel 6 speed which will embarrass your 30 year old truck in every category you could mention, pulling power, load handling, or fuel mileage.
My 30 year old truck with a 20 year old motor performs pretty well.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 AM
akforceten
Elder User
hey road_warrior you will be the only one embarrassed when i drag your 2000 dodge around like the pile of junk it is lol as far as pulling power i won't even notice it back there !! dodge 2500 that's all you got, its only a 3/4ton. The truck i have can pull full size school buses with out there axles around very nicely she can haul over 5 tons of anything. she can tow over 10,000 pounds of trailers so your dodge isn't nothing. plus i only have to load the flatbed once then to unload i hit the switch and dump everything

Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 AM
road_warri0r
New User
hey road_warrior you will be the only one embarrassed when i drag your 2000 dodge around like the pile of junk it is lol as far as pulling power i won't even notice it back there !! dodge 2500 that's all you got, its only a 3/4ton. The truck i have can pull full size school buses with out there axles around very nicely she can haul over 5 tons of anything. she can tow over 10,000 pounds of trailers so your dodge isn't nothing. plus i only have to load the flatbed once then to unload i hit the switch and dump everything
Just what type of beast do you have? and what modifications? Maybe I was wrong to think this thread was talking about a production factory truck. With modifications ANYTHING is possible.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 AM
American Thunder
Elder User
Originally Posted by road_warri0r
Just what type of beast do you have? and what modifications? Maybe I was wrong to think this thread was talking about a production factory truck. With modifications ANYTHING is possible.
As was mentioned, 30 year old trucks are a *lot* cheaper to modify than modern trucks. It's a whole different universe. As was also mentioned, 30 year old trucks are tough as hell, because they used extra metal everywhere, and overkill was the best policy. As opposed to today, where they shave every corner to save pennies and the factory's costs for building those new trucks is staggering by comparison. You can take an old Ford, toss in a diesel and some D60s, and you have an unbeatable, (and very affordable) beast.

I'm not saying the new trucks are total crap, because they're nice to drive and all, and I do like the modern Cummins, but there's just too much junk hanging on them for my tastes, and the cost is high. I want it simple and affordable.. My Cummins Bronco cost me about 5k to build in total. I could build TEN of my trucks for the price of a new diesel truck. It's entirely mechanical, even the automatic shifts without a computer. Cheap, simple and tough.

Actually, I will amend my earlier statement, I think new Obama Motors vehicles are in fact pretty crappy, especially with the maxi-pad Isuzu diesel in them. But the Dodge Cummins and the Ford 7.3s (Not a fan of 6.0s though) are excellent.

In terms of what you mentioned about stock vs stock; there wasn't any diesels available 30 years ago in pickups, so you can't compare a modern Dodge Cummins to anything from that era. But I'd take an old 390 big block with cast iron 4-speed transmission in an F250 ANY DAY over ANY new production gas truck. Good Lord, it's like comparing an anvil to a paper clip.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
American Thunder
Elder User
Wow.. you HAVE to post some pics of that thing!!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:19 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oi vei... the testosterone in this thread is about to spill all over the web. Suffices to say that no matter what the age of the vehicle, what you can make it or do with it is limited only by your imagination, time, energy, know how, and the all-important wallet.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM
American Thunder
Elder User
Originally Posted by greystreak92
Oi vei... the testosterone in this thread is about to spill all over the web.
That's ok, the world could use some more of it! haha

Old 07-06-2010, 04:52 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Agreed! Less whining and more get off yer ***!

Old 07-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Adrenaline4X4
Freshman User
Haha this thread is gettin intense.

I think one of the best things about the older vehicle is the comfy cozy cushiony seats! haha

Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Oh yeah, those old seats really make you wanna sleep there (not such a good idea when you're on the highway), that and the boat-like suspension.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:36 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
strange you mention dodge 2500's

couldn't help it...

i personally prefer older vehicles with new technology.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 PM
akforceten
Elder User
Ok my truck started life as a 1972 ford f-250 4x4 highboy. and now its the truck ford never built a 1972 f-350 4x4 high boy

here is the trailer that i tow

and here is the weight. need to add more the stuff inside .

here is the truck

one flat bed with dump

power steering conversion

one 390 bored 60 over with rv cam

duraspark conversion for the 390

pushes a hell of a lot of snow

one d 70 rear axle

ok there you all go thats my truck go ahead an rip it apart an laugh all you want but i know what she can do . an i put her together for about 5k . i did put disc brakes up front . 4speed with granny gear wouldn't trade that in for the world . when i would part out a rig i would cut the remains up an haul it to scrap on the bed .

Old 07-06-2010, 09:49 PM
JohnMcD348
Senior User
So, is that dump bed so that the passengers in the back seat WILL get out when you tell them to?

Quick Reply: Differences between modern trucks and 30+ year trucks