Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Cam position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 AM
gonefishing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam position sensor

Hello. The check engine light came on in my wifes 96 3.0 aerostar. They ran the code at Advance auto parts and it came up cam position sensor fault. I went for a second opinion at a local garage and they said the same thing. Advance said all I needed was the sensor and they had it for $30 bucks. The garage said I needed the sensor and the piece that it sets on and that they were ford oem parts. The parts are going to cost $230 plus labor!! Has anybody else been thru this? I was going to attempt to change the sensor myself, but I want to make sure it's right as this is my wifes primary mode of transportation. Any and all advice is very much appreciated!
Thanks,
Fred.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:34 AM
copper_90680
Postmaster
Hi Fred:

Welcome to our FTE forum

I'm not familiar with the '96 model, but I do have a manual at home. I'm almost certain someone will come along shortly with the answer. Otherwise I'll skim through the manual tonight and try to get you an answer. In the mean time, don't try to remove that sensor yet, since we don't know what we need to do to put a new one in.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 PM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
partsamerica.com has 3 differant brands for the 96 3.0 priced between 47.00 to 57.00

Old 03-07-2006, 02:58 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your local shop is correct, a special FoMoCo tool is required to install a new camshaft sensor in proper orientation to the crankshaft.
if you are going to DIY, i strongly recommend you download the manual from http://www.fordcds.com/ ...you need the '96 Ford truck cd iso which contains the Aerostar service manual

CAUTION:
Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A (3.0L, 4.0L) or T96T-12200-A (5.0L) must be obtained prior to installation of the replacement synchronizer assembly. Failure to follow this procedure will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine (6007), possibly causing engine damage.

CAUTION:
Prior to the removal of the camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor) (12A112), set No. 1 cylinder to 0 degrees top dead center (TDC) of compression stroke. Then note the position of the camshaft position sensor electrical connector. The installation procedure requires that the electrical connector be located in the same position.

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301).

2. Disconnect fuel charging wiring electrical connector from camshaft position sensor.

3. Remove the CMP sensor screws and camshaft position sensor from camshaft synchronizer.

CAUTION:
Do not move crankshaft (6303) until entire installation procedure is complete. Doing so will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine resulting in possible emissions fault.

Note:
If camshaft synchronizer is to be removed from the cylinder block (6010), proceed with Step 4. If the camshaft synchronizer is not being removed, proceed to installation Step 8.

4. Remove hold-down clamp (12270).

5. Remove camshaft synchronizer from cylinder block.

Installation

1. Attach Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A (3.0L, 4.0L) or T96T-12200-A (5.0L).
2. Align the synchronizer vane with the radial slot of the Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A (3.0L) or T96T-12200A (5.0L).

3. Rotate the tool on the synchronizer base until the tool's boss engages the base notch.

4. Dip gear end into ESE-M2C123-A oil or equivalent to coat gear, thrust washer and lower bearing.

5. CAUTION: Do not rotate crankshaft when syncro positioning tool is on the camshaft synchronizer. Armature tab will be damaged and synchronizer timing may be shifted.

On 3.0L engines, install camshaft synchronizer so that drive gear engagement occurs when arrow on Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A is pointed approximately 75 degrees (3.0L), 60 degrees (4.0L) counterclockwise off the centerline of the engine. This step will locate camshaft position sensor electrical connector to the original position.

6. CAUTION: If camshaft position sensor electrical connector is not positioned properly, DO NOT reposition the connector by rotating the synchronizer assembly. This will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage. Remove the synchronizer assembly and repeat Step 5.

Install hold-down clamp and tighten to 19-30 N-m (14-22 lb-ft) on 3.0L, 4.0L and 23-34 N-m (17-25 lb-ft) on 5.0L.

7. Remove Syncro Positioning Tool.

8. Install CMP sensor and CMP sensor screws. Tighten to 2.5-3.5 N-m (23-30 lb-in).

9. Connect fuel charging wiring electrical connector to camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor).

10. Note: When battery voltage is removed from the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650), all learned values will be cleared and reset to predetermined values. When battery voltage is restored to the PCM, the vehicle may exhibit certain driveability concerns. It will be necessary to drive the vehicle to allow the PCM to relearn values for optimum driveability and performance.

Connect battery ground cable.

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 03-07-2006 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!

The sensor is availible everywhere. But as '96 said, you will need the Ford Tool, I would check to see if Autozone, ect will loan you the tool before buying. Then you can do it yourself.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:58 PM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
That seems like alot of trouble for nothing. I don't know why you just couldn't mark everything before you remove the sensor then put the new one right back on like the old one. But thats just me.

JaY

Old 03-07-2006, 07:18 PM
copper_90680
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 96_4wdr

8. Install CMP sensor and CMP sensor screws. Tighten to 2.5-3.5 N-m (23-30 lb-in).

9. Connect fuel charging wiring electrical connector to camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor).

10. Note: When battery voltage is removed from the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650), all learned values will be cleared and reset to predetermined values. When battery voltage is restored to the PCM, the vehicle may exhibit certain driveability concerns. It will be necessary to drive the vehicle to allow the PCM to relearn values for optimum driveability and performance.

With this information, I would say he can just remove and bolt the new CMP sensor in without removing the base. That tool is only required if you are changing the whole thing, base and sensor.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:02 PM
gonefishing
New User
The garage told me that I have to replace the base along with the sensor. Is that really necessary? The code was cam position fault?

Thanks,
Fred.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bottom gear and shaft bushings worn out....how many miles?

also want to check wear in your cam chain/gear set on front of engine...can cause cam sensor PCU error codes

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 03-07-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:29 PM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
Gonefishing:

What I would do is the easiest first. I don't know how hard it is to get to the sensor but, I'd mark where it is sitting before I take the old one off (scratch a line down the side) Take it off and see how it is set. Set the new one to look like the old one. Put the new one on and bolt it down.
Rule #1 Don't make more work for yourself than needs to be.

JaY

Old 03-08-2006, 03:09 AM
krankshaft
Elder User
Here are the instructions again for the CPS removal and installation I also included the pictures for additional guidance. Man browsing that CD to find this took longer then expected with no real search function. Thats what you get when your using an application developed for Windows 3.1 .

CAUTION:
Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A (3.0L, 4.0L) or T96T-12200-A (5.0L) must be obtained prior to installation of the replacement synchronizer assembly. Failure to follow this procedure will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine (6007), possibly causing engine damage.

CAUTION:
Prior to the removal of the camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor) (12A112), set No. 1 cylinder to 0 degrees top dead center (TDC) of compression stroke. Then note the position of the camshaft position sensor electrical connector. The installation procedure requires that the electrical connector be located in the same position.

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301).

2. Disconnect fuel charging wiring electrical connector from camshaft position sensor.

3. Remove the CMP sensor screws and camshaft position sensor from camshaft synchronizer.

CAUTION:
Do not move crankshaft (6303) until entire installation procedure is complete. Doing so will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine resulting in possible emissions fault.

Note:
If camshaft synchronizer is to be removed from the cylinder block (6010), proceed with Step 4. If the camshaft synchronizer is not being removed, proceed to installation Step 8.

4. Remove hold-down clamp (12270).

5. Remove camshaft synchronizer from cylinder block.

Installation

1. Attach Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A (3.0L, 4.0L) or T96T-12200-A (5.0L).

2. Align the synchronizer vane with the radial slot of the Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A (3.0L) or T96T-12200A (5.0L).

3. Rotate the tool on the synchronizer base until the tool's boss engages the base notch.

4. Dip gear end into ESE-M2C123-A oil or equivalent to coat gear, thrust washer and lower bearing.

5. CAUTION: Do not rotate crankshaft when syncro positioning tool is on the camshaft synchronizer. Armature tab will be damaged and synchronizer timing may be shifted.

On 3.0L engines, install camshaft synchronizer so that drive gear engagement occurs when arrow on Syncro Positioning Tool T95T-12200-A is pointed approximately 75 degrees (3.0L), 60 degrees (4.0L) counterclockwise off the centerline of the engine. This step will locate camshaft position sensor electrical connector to the original position.

On 5.0L engines, install camshaft synchronizer into cylinder block making sure that arrow on Syncro Positioning Tool T96T-12200-A is pointing forward parallel to center line of crankshaft. This step will locate camshaft position sensor electrical connector to the pre-removal position.

6. CAUTION: If camshaft position sensor electrical connector is not positioned properly, DO NOT reposition the connector by rotating the synchronizer assembly. This will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage. Remove the synchronizer assembly and repeat Step 5.

Install hold-down clamp and tighten to 19-30 N-m (14-22 lb-ft) on 3.0L, 4.0L and 23-34 N-m (17-25 lb-ft) on 5.0L.

Last edited by krankshaft; 03-08-2006 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:12 PM
JTHill24
Posting Guru
That looks like a Distributor without the cap. Changing a distributor cap you don't need to pull the whole shaft. You shouldn't need to pull the shaft to change the Sensor.

I find that a lot of times that these repair manuals are written to discourage/scare the average DIYs from doing it themselves.

Myself what I would do is put a mark/line down the side of the sensor, shaft, & block.
Lift the old sensor straight up & look at the bottom of it. Then I would take the new sensor put a mark on it at the same spot I marked the old one. Then align the bottom to look like the old one. Then slip it back on the shaft making sure the marks align, bolt it down.

But that's just me.

JaY

Last edited by JTHill24; 03-08-2006 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:29 PM
reever
Elder User
My 96 Taurus had the same problem. It is not as hard as it seems. The problem is usually caused by the sensor falling out of the cap and hitting the vane on the shaft which in turn destroys the vane.
Read the instructions given above. They are accurate. The Positioning Tool is the most important part of this fix. It will make everything go back together as good as new!!
Our local NAPA sells the OEM ford tool for about $36.00.

-reever

Old 07-13-2006, 12:19 AM
kky
New User
Can the synchronizer gear be set electronically?

I was told by a mechanic today, (who took my money for the job), that the synchronizer gear and sensor could be set electronically. Is this possible, or did he lie through his teeth?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Aeroman59
Elder User
Lightbulb CMP sensor

Hi everyone, I have the p0340 fault code (cam position sensor circuit malfunction) on my 3L Aerostar. The motor has 259000 kms on it. There is just this one fault code. I have been looking for info on this for about a week, & just stumbled on your forum, which is an excellent resource. Regarding this sensor & drive unit, it looks to me that if the camshaft lower (sensor drive or synchronisation drive ***'y) unit is not removed then since the worm gear & pinion is not disturbed, then it would be unnecesary to remove, if you just want to change the upper sensing (electrical part of the unit). However if the drive part of the unit is removed or suspected faulty ,then the re-timimg of the drive is neccesary ,which means you then would likely need the installation cap to position the unit before it's bolted down. However you could probably get it accurately enough installed if you scribe the body of the drive unit to the engine block before removal !
This is assumimg the drive unit is in the correct position before removal of course.
HTH, regards
Aeroman.

Last edited by Aeroman59; 12-28-2006 at 05:36 PM. Reason: error in terminology

Quick Reply: Cam position sensor