Sponsored by: DP Tuner

newb in search of 1999+ diesel questions looking at a 2000 f250SD

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you not already see the video?
Anyhow, hopefully it's what you want and need. Best of luck friend.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 AM
malodin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the video you posted, im gonna have him do one for me before i go over there.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:07 AM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Visseroth
looks like 200K on that turbo to me too. Put a WW in it and check it for slop, turbo may need a rebuild.
Visseroth, correct me if im wrong, I am not super knowledgable about turbos, Is'nt that a WW in his pic? My E99 looks just like that wheel. Anyway I have 230,000 and am just now starting to have turbo probelms. I am going to a Beans Dominator D66 when I have the $$$, hope mine last untill I can afford it.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM
malodin
Senior User
60rat, the ww turbo picture is on the first page, it has 2 sets of veins

Old 05-29-2010, 11:46 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I would say that turbo has more than just 200k miles on it. There shouldn't be a notch on the outside edge. If the tips were just rounded off, I'd say you're OK, but that notch has me wondering how it got there? Is there too much play and it's rubbing on a housing?
Maybe a rebuild kit and WW wheel will be enough.

Tires do look a little worn, I didn't know the made white walls for these trucks??

That is a bit of a drive to go look at a truck. It wouldn't bother me because I drive a semi truck for a a living and will have that many hours in by 7AM. If it's the truck you are looking for, Ford, 4 doors, PSD, it'll be worth the travels.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:54 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
With a growing family, get the crew-cab!

You're gonna' be sorry, eventually, if you don't.

Take it from one who has one, and wouldn't want anything smaller.

Pop

Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 AM
malodin
Senior User
farmboy, its possible its got to much play and thats making that notch, but i would believe that on one or two blades not necessarily all of them and they are really uniform from what i can tell. i was more concerned about "dusting" which to me doesnt look like its happened much.

as for the drive i have a friend on the way so will probably stop on the way back and visit.

springerpop, i completely agree with you so we will see

Old 05-29-2010, 12:19 PM
malodin
Senior User
think a d1 axle is good 3.73's

Old 05-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
The turbo looks like it's seen 200K of the stock air box and like it has had some play and that is why it looks like the edges have been rubbed off. It shouldn't look like that unless the bearings in the turbo are worn which means turbo rebuild and a replacement WW. My WW is now new, the old one had 200K on it but without play in the turbo bearings. The E99's come with a stock WW, the later models come with a retarded turbine wheel that causes surging. Not all experience surging but the WW eliminates the surging and sounds cool.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:39 PM
malodin
Senior User
ok to sum it all up
its a
99 f350 crew cab long box 7.3 diesel 203k on it, needs tires some interior work(drivers seat is cracked up really bad, steering wheel is warn) the turbo has seen better days but more than likely hasnt killed the engine due to "dusting" i had him do the oil cap he took a video, but says it just vibrates off, i have yet to see the video(waiting on stupid phone transfers lol) and hes jumped through all the hoops ive asked of him.

with all that being said so far the aggreed upon price is 4k and my 97 ford explorer v8

think fair deal?

Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by malodin
60rat, the ww turbo picture is on the first page, it has 2 sets of veins
Thanks I see the differance now. I think I will take a second look at mine, I was just inspecting condition of the blades, maybee I'll even take a pic for my album

Originally Posted by malodin
ok to sum it all up
its a
99 f350 crew cab long box 7.3 diesel 203k on it, needs tires some interior work(drivers seat is cracked up really bad, steering wheel is warn) the turbo has seen better days but more than likely hasnt killed the engine due to "dusting" i had him do the oil cap he took a video, but says it just vibrates off, i have yet to see the video(waiting on stupid phone transfers lol) and hes jumped through all the hoops ive asked of him.

with all that being said so far the aggreed upon price is 4k and my 97 ford explorer v8

think fair deal?

Yes, and depending on where you live i.e "Snow Belt" could be a great deal if its a 4X4

Old 05-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
No kidding, these things do pretty well in the snow, just make sure you have aggressive tires! On concrete w/snow they are good or even frozen ground but if it gets soft and you get your tires set in ruts then you're stuck, I know, got stuck twice. Next set of tires are going to be aggressive.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:49 PM
60RatRod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Visseroth
The turbo looks like it's seen 200K of the stock air box and like it has had some play and that is why it looks like the edges have been rubbed off. It shouldn't look like that unless the bearings in the turbo are worn which means turbo rebuild and a replacement WW. My WW is now new, the old one had 200K on it but without play in the turbo bearings. The E99's come with a stock WW, the later models come with a retarded turbine wheel that causes surging. Not all experience surging but the WW eliminates the surging and sounds cool.
So now I learned something new today, Why I have been getting turbo Surge. My E99 does'nt have a WW. Here's a pic of my wheel. But Why would my E99 have this? I checked the dates (both door jamb and Engine) it was manufactured in 98 according to door jamb, Engine I.D sticker says 1999, So what could the deal be I wonder?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:50 PM
malodin
Senior User
well i am headed out to look at it wish me luck, seen the oil cap video and it just vibrated off no bouncing or anything just vibration.

one thing that concerns me he says it gets less than 15mpg could a worn turbo be the cause or what?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
less then 15mpg could be temp sensor, fuel not flowing completely, air restriction, leaking up pipes. Something simple, just a matter of finding it.

As to the turbo wheel it could be that it was replaced by the dealer or upgraded to the later model turbo. You can change the wheel to a WW even if it is a late model turbo.

Quick Reply: newb in search of 1999+ diesel questions looking at a 2000 f250SD