Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

GM Quadra Steer

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
What is going on inside there that you need to change SYNTHETIC fluid in a Dana 60 every 15K miles?
It probably has something to do with the bearings and outer axle tube seals. Dodge also recommends 15-30k fluid change intervals on their AAM 10.5 and 11.5 axles.
I am not trying to convince anyone, it's only my own opinion, and they could GIVE IT AWAY FOR FREE, and I still wouldn't take it. But then, I don't want a 1/2-ton truck in the first place.
It was also available in Suburban 2500s, and one of Delphi's test trucks was a Super Duty.

My point is the vast majority of GM forums all say the Quadrasteer system is reliable with very few problems. If failed often you wouldn't see people on the forums recommending them. Reliability is basically a non-issue with the quadrasteer system. You basically should be more concerned about the truck falling apart around the rear axle, then the axle itself.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
As much as I love computer-controlled engines and what it gives us, I'll take my steering the old-fashioned way - ball bearings, spool valves and hydraulics. I can't imagine what would happen if I decided to maneuver on the highway and I had an electrical issue.

Anyway, I'm out Last-word-itis is taking effect

Old 08-10-2010, 08:50 PM
hammerhead90
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like you Krewat, and I agree with everything you said.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
As much as I love computer-controlled engines and what it gives us, I'll take my steering the old-fashioned way - ball bearings, spool valves and hydraulics. I can't imagine what would happen if I decided to maneuver on the highway and I had an electrical issue.

Anyway, I'm out Last-word-itis is taking effect
Hydraulic steering systems can fail in interesting ways too
YouTube - ‪ANTITHEFT -STEERING WHEEL VIOLENTLY SHAKES WHEN TOUCHED‬‎

Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 PM
hammerhead90
Elder User
Thats not a failing steering system. It's an anti theft device. He says it like 5 times in the video... and in the title

Old 08-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Sorry, but that is a failed rotary valve in the power steering system. Someone in the comments even said the same thing happened to them. No anti-theft system would ever use something so inherently dangerous.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM
M88
Mountain Pass
Looks like a normal case of death wobble in a solid axle!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dam thats fricken crazy..

i never seen a power steering system fail like that before...imagine if that happened while driving..

YIKES...

Old 08-26-2010, 09:37 AM
12ozd
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Lead Head
It was also available in Suburban 2500s
Bossman has a suburban w/ it,never a single issue in 160K mi.
Actually got it for his wife,to replace an expedition.She says it is easier to drive, and park.
It definately feels different driving it.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:20 AM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Everyone that I've ever talked to that had it loved it and never had any problems with it. I'd take it on any truck if it was available. It wasn't purchased often because it was packaged with a bunch of high end options that were like 5-7K.

I would go out on limb and guess that there have been less problems as a percentage of production with the Quadrasteer than the 6.0 diesel or spark plug blowouts on the mod engines.

If this was a Ford option there is no doubt that it would be regarded as the best thing since bread was sliced around here.

Mike

Old 08-28-2010, 10:47 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by BLK94F150
I would go out on limb and guess that there have been less problems as a percentage of production with the Quadrasteer than the 6.0 diesel or spark plug blowouts on the mod engines.
If there were as many in production as the 6.0, or even more-so the Ford modular motors, I'm sure you'd see a lot more people complaining about it.

If this was a Ford option there is no doubt that it would be regarded as the best thing since bread was sliced around here.
Not by me

Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,159 Likes on 2,203 Posts
spark plug blowouts on the mod engines.
spark plug blowout on mod engines is the fault of the person that was too lazy to put the new spark plugs in properly. not fords fault.

i have put hundreds of spark plugs in mod engines, and torqued them properly. i have never had one blow out.
on the other hand, people that put plugs in hand tight, or gorilla grip the plugs in, complain about the crappy design when the plugs blow out because they loosened up, or the threads were ripped out of the head from over tightening.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
To get even further off-topic, it also has to do with corrosion and how long they are in there....

Old 08-28-2010, 12:17 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
If there were as many in production as the 6.0, or even more-so the Ford modular motors, I'm sure you'd see a lot more people complaining about it.

Not by me
Like I said, I would guess that as a percentage of production that there were less problems with the quadrasteer. I have never heard anyone that actually owned one have a bad thing to say about it. Then again I haven't talked to very many owners.

Even mod engines with plugs installed at the factory popped them out. Even though in the case of the 6.0 and mod plug popping user error had a lot to do with many of the problems, there were still significant factory flaws.

I don't see why quadrasteer wouldn't be reliable. It seems pretty simple to me. Steer axle with an actuator that the computer controls. Fail safes to center.

Mike

Old 08-28-2010, 01:16 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Plug comes loose and pop goes the spark plug especially if you have detonation issues or forced induction. Just got done checking all 10 plugs on my dads truck to make sure they were tight before his trip in a few weeks. I'm willing to bet the majority of the people who had plugs blow never check them, like my neighbor.

Quick Reply: GM Quadra Steer