6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Dreaded Radiator Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM
jrc55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreaded Radiator Leak

Thought I had escaped it with 3 years and 30K on the speedo. Changed my oil Saturday evening and found the telltale signs, streak on the frame horn and a drop on the tank. My '08 6.4 was purchased on May 9, 2007. Uh oh, gonna be 1 day over the 36 months by the time I can get to the dealer Monday. Went by and was told not to worry it would be taken care of whether Ford did or did not. Good dealers are nice to have in today's market.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts
I keep watching mine, so far ok, 33K on the clock. But I am a job 3. Don't think that matters at all.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
I had 2 replaced because of low coolant levels and leaks. I believe it starts from not having the venturi tee in the begining and or not installed correctly. Also Ford found the original thermostats were need to be upgraded.
Having low coolant levels from these then affected my water pump which finally had to be replaced because it was making the system puke out coolant and degas low levels by gases and pukeing. I'm glad they fixed it.
It's been fine now for quite a while. Coolant levels in the degas bottle haved stayed put.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:01 AM
sd convert
Junior User
Yes at 102550 km I noticed that mine started to leak down the tank and onto the frame on the drivers side. As I am always on the road had to replace at the nearest ford dealer. They got me in and replaced the same day. Treated me good but no warrantee on the rad. That warrantee was gone at 65000km. I guess that is really save for ford.
Mine is also a job 3. You just know that there will be trouble with plastic tanks pressed onto aluminum.

Last edited by sd convert; 05-12-2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
pyro2nite
Senior User
I found mine leaking just yesterday. Down the left side. 57500 miles. Also found a TBS 09-23-1. It is about the thermostat and I hope they will cover the rad with it.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:16 PM
sd convert
Junior User
Hey pyro2nite let us know if your dealer is willing to work with you. This may help all of us as these rads are designed to fail!
Thanks

Old 05-16-2010, 05:18 PM
jrc55
Senior User
Picked up my truck Thursday and jumped in it Friday and drove to Panama City for the weekend. When I got off the interstate a little while ago I smelled transmission fluid, figured it was the clunker in front of me. While we were unloading after getting home the left fog light looked crooked. Upon further inspection I found the following, left fog light bracket broken and the lense cracked, cooler on the left side leaking halfway up (both lines are on the bottom), inside next to the grill on both headlight assembly's the outer covers have several cracks and there is no evidence that a rock or something else hit anywhere on the front grille area. Did they take the headlite assemblies off to replace the radiator and kick them across the shop floor? Man wtf is up!

I guess that's what I get for bragging about them this past Monday. Oh well, guess where I'll be in the morning?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:21 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,526 Likes on 1,089 Posts
well that is a rotten deal but not unheard of. I once had my windstar in for service only to pick it up with a bent hood from them leaving a wrench and then closing it.

Of course nothing was said when I picked it up. You can bet who won that battle.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 700 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by sd convert
This may help all of us as these rads are designed to fail!
And why in the world you think they design a major component like a radiator to fail? Do you have any idea how much money this has cost Ford in warranty repairs so far? You think radiators are cheap for Ford to replace? How about EGR coolers and entire engines that get cooked by these things?

Old 05-16-2010, 05:48 PM
pyro2nite
Senior User
Originally Posted by sd convert
Hey pyro2nite let us know if your dealer is willing to work with you. This may help all of us as these rads are designed to fail!
Thanks
Going in Monday or Tuesday. Will let you all know.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 PM
sd convert
Junior User
Hey crazy001
that would be fair to say if FORD would replace on their dime. As I said in my particular case here in Canada my warranty was only good for 65,000km - 40,000miles. It's just that there are a few people that have had 3-4 rads replaced already. We all should not have to worry about, as you stated, such a major component. I'm not trying to stir anything up, I should not have been so blunt with my comment. It is such a great forum with a wealth of info here that has helped my see the good,the bad ,and just learn how these trucks work.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
pyro2nite
Senior User
Just got back from the dealer. My regular service writer was off for the day. I spoke with another one, told him I had a leaking radiator and I believe it may be covered under a TSB and he said "ya they have a bulletin on leaking radiators". We will need to get the mileage and vin and talk to Ford. Takes about an hour for the approval. Sounds like they agree on the TSB, and it will be up to Ford. All this will be done in the morning. Will keep everyone posted.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Tan_Hands
Freshman User
It is crazy how many of us are having problems at the same time. I guess it is a Pure Numbers thing.
Anyway. I dropped mine off at the local Ford dealer for service. I mentioned that I smelled Coolant and was low on it over the weekend. They said OK there is a Bulletin out on it so we will replace it. Also mentioned that the heater didn't work the other day, I'm thinking it was because of the low coolant but why not ask right. So they replaced the Heater core too.
They never said if they checked them or not. Just said they would replace.
I know a lot of you guys don't think kindly of the Service Plans, but it is nice to drop it off every couple months for a oil change and they check over everything that is covered. I don't care why they decided to change my Wiper blades as long as they work when I pick it up and I get no bill.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:13 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
When I had my coolant problems I got the smell in the cab. It was because the degas bottle was pukeing out coolant on the engine. Gases would build in the system then explode it out the degas.
Keep on top of it. If you were low on coolant you could have hurt the pump or egr coolers. Make sure the coolant level stays put (close to the marks) in the degas bottle. Check it all the time for a while.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM
pyro2nite
Senior User
Droped off the truck this morning at the dealer. He said it should be covered under the TSB. They will change thermostst and radiator. The leak was never bad jut a drop ar two running down the left side of the raditor. Never had to put more than a cup of fluid in the colling system.

Quick Reply: Dreaded Radiator Leak