General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The Deepwater Horizon Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:05 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
According to the news on the radio this morning, BP is planning to send a barge down there and try to reclaim the surface oil. That's the smartest thing to do. But my question is this. Once the petroleum on the surface has been mopped up, will there be any hazardous by product left behind?
Good question. But I say one step at a time. You do whatever you can to correct what you are able to. There probably will be stuff left behind, but much less than if they do nothing, or wait even longer to do it.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good reply horsepuller, I worked in the patch in the 80's in Wyo.and Colo. I too have wondered why a BOP the size of a small House failed. But at 5,000' it is not a simple task to go cut the pipe and install anouther valve. The fact they had 8 submersible robots in action says they were (or are) desperately trying to shut in the well. They know all too well what is a stake and how important it is too stop this mess. You can bet the best resources are being used and done as fast as possible. Although we all wish it was faster.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks, Doug. I had some coworkers that came from the patch in Evanston, WY and Rangely, CO.

I just heard on the radio tonight on the way to work that BP is considering cutting off the wellhead and landing a new one in it's place. If it fails the well will continue to flow unchoked. But it is probably worth that risk because the will be the fastest way to shut in that well.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:55 AM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Your welcome Scott; It is a small world , I worked in both those places, no lost love for Rangley it was a muddy town from all the off road traffic. Evanston was my favorite, Worked in Rickman Creek a lot for Amoco, and did a couple of jobs in the Anschutz that was buetiful country with beaver in the creeks, deer and elk and very tight security at the gates.No fishing poles got past those guys....lol.
Interseting to hear that they are going to try and cut the pipe, that would be some interesting video of the whole operation. Maybe if it is succsesful they will put it on the history channel.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Link to pics of the disaster; Oil spill approaches Louisiana coast - The Big Picture - Boston.com

The growing oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico is captured in this image from NASA's (MODIS) instrument aboard the Terra satellite. This natural-color image acquired April 29, 2010 shows a twisting patch of oil nearly 125 km (78 mi) wide. (NASA Earth Observatory/Jesse Allen/University of Wisconsin SSEC) #

Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 AM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stu37d
My bad, they made a WHOPPING 6.73% in Dec last year. Look at the profit margin of Exxon Mobile for the last few years
You left out that Exxon owns hundreds of subsidiaries, most of them very profitable.

And then there’s Exxon-Mobil, which paid more in income taxes than any other U.S. company last year, just none of it to the U.S.:

Exxon tries to limit the tax pain with the help of 20 wholly owned subsidiaries domiciled in the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Cayman Islands that (legally) shelter the cash flow from operations in the likes of Angola, Azerbaijan and Abu Dhabi. No wonder that of $15 billion in income taxes last year, Exxon paid none of it to Uncle Sam, and has tens of billions in earnings permanently reinvested overseas.

Instead, the $15 billion was divided among the countries where Exxon has set up one of its hundreds of foreign subsidiaries. In total, Exxon 122 foreign subsidiaries, including 32 in countries that are officially labeled tax havens by the U.S. government. It has 18 subsidiaries in the Bahamas, and 3 each in the Cayman Islands, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

In each of the last two years, the Obama administration has proposed eliminating the loopholes and incentives in the tax code that allow companies to set up subsidiaries in these low- or no-tax countries, which help them lower their effective tax rate by 20 points or more. Both times, the administration saw its efforts rebuffed by Congress and the Big Business lobby, which means that a $100 billion annual tax burden will continue to be shifted onto U.S. taxpayers (including corporations) that don’t engage in this sort of tax evasion.

But Exxon is not only avoiding U.S. taxes. As Mother Jones’ Adam Weinstein pointed out, the company also has the chutzpah to complain about high taxation, as its website claims that “energy innovation is already on the ropes because of excessive taxes, and it will be forever consigned to the dustbin by any new taxes on windfall profits.” Plus, the Big Oil lobby is currently running ads against what it calls “new energy taxes,” which is actually an effort by the Obama administration to cut $36 billion in senseless tax loopholes and subsidies for the oil industry.

So, to sum up, oil companies complain about high taxation, while paying no taxes and receiving corporate welfare from the federal government. I understand why they’d want to go to great lengths to protect such a sweetheart deal, but there’s no reason for the rest of us to buy it.
Why would Exxon need 20+ subsidiaries in Bermuda? Bermuda doesn't have any oil, there's like ten gas stations on the entire island.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
BP profit of 5.6 BILLION for the first 3 MONTHS of 2010.

BP first-quarter profit jumps, production flat - MarketWatch
LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Oil giant BP /quotes/comstock/23s!a:bp. (UK:BP. 558.50, -17.00, -2.95%) /quotes/comstock/13*!bp/quotes/nls/bp (BP 51.15, -0.05, -0.10%) said Tuesday that its first-quarter replacement cost profit jumped to $5.6 billion, from $2.4 billion at the same point a year ago. Profit attributable to shareholders rose to $6.1 billion, from $2.6 billion last year. BP said that its profit increased primarily due to higher realizations and higher earnings from equity-accounted entities, mainly its TNK-BP joint venture. That offset a lower contribution from the gas marketing and trading business, higher production taxes and higher depreciation. Sales jumped to $73.1 billion, from $47.3 billion. Production for the quarter was 4,010 mboe/d, broadly flat with last year, BP said.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:49 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
I'm getting worried because I am unable to find any satellite photos of the spill later than the 27th of April.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 PM
desperado_18_2000
Posting Guru
Its worrisome to me as well shorebird. I haven't been down to the beach yet to take a look, but I have been smelling it for a couple days now. Going outside makes my eyes sting, and that isn't normal even for where I live.

I just hope the oil leak can be capped, and the mess cleaned up. Even though I know things will probably never been exactly the same as they were before.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,331 Posts
Looks like the containment gizmo is on the way.

Giant box being loaded on barge bound for Gulf - Yahoo! News

In perspective:

The Worst Major Oil Spills in History - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

It's bad, but it ain't the worst, for whatever consolation that's good for.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
So far the oil has not reached the beaches of the mainland here in Mississippi.
With the first of the containment hoods being placed over the main leak point hopes are up that it will not reach here.
BP has reported that they have succeeded in closing the end of the drill string thus reducing the escaping oil to only two points of the piping. This has not reduced the amount of escaping oil however. Giant Container to Collect Leaking Gulf Oil - NYTimes.com
Here is a comparison chart of spill size;
BBC News - How big is the Deepwater Horizon oil spill?

Old 05-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 802 Likes on 613 Posts
Those are some surprisingly big spills compared to Deepwater.
Even the Exxon Valdez.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:36 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
It looks as if the Deepwater spill will get a chance to make the top ten list.
This is a good article with a lot of info.

BP suffers snag in oil containment effort | Green Tech - CNET News

BP suffered a setback on Saturday in an attempt to contain oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico with a metal box when crystallized gas filled the structure, a blow to hopes of a quick, temporary solution to a growing disaster.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:32 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Video of the cap valve being installed on the end of the broken drillstring pipe.
This closed off one of the three leaks. It did not reduce the flow of oil.
the other two breaks simply experienced an increase of flow.
You can see the oil flowing at the 2:15 minute mark.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shorebird
Video of the cap valve being installed on the end of the broken drillstring pipe.
This closed off one of the three leaks. It did not reduce the flow of oil.
the other two breaks simply experienced an increase of flow.
You can see the oil flowing at the 2:15 minute mark.
It's a start........

Quick Reply: The Deepwater Horizon Disaster