1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

time to give a little back to a truck that gave all.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:02 AM
northerndave
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's harvest season in farm country. there were 3 or 4 different accidents last friday night all harvest related.

My daughter hit a grain truck with her mustang.

rear ended him. The guy was going to make a right turn off a hwy but he put his blinker on over a mile before his turn so she figured he had it on accidentally. She was closing up on him and going to pass, she looked around him to oncoming lane and saw eyes in the ditch. Probably deer, so she was focusing on that, trying to see if it was a deer coming up on the road. She looked forward again and here the guy was about to turn right, he was slowed to probably 5 mph or less and she was doing 60. I don't think she had time to hit the brakes. Hit him square in the rear axle, tripple axle truck.

Iit was like throwing a squirrel at a T-rex, he hardly felt it. He sure heard it though.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:25 AM
1965f100factory4x4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
must be those dam potato trucks. hate those dang things you never know where they gunna go. every year i almost get ran over by them. but its super cool that she's ok, good thing about old mustang is you can buy almost every part for them.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 AM
northerndave
Elder User
It was a grain truck actually but yeah that's the kind of truck, same kind they use for potatos, sugar beats etc.

Waiting to hear back from insurance company. Meanwhile I have 2 old bumpsides tore apart in the driveway (put on hold) and one 65 mustang smashed up sitting on my car hauler and I've been tinkering with my 77 F150 to make it more road friendly since we're down one set of wheels.

I'll get back after the bumpside project though really soon which is what this thread was supposed to be about. Sorry for the topic derailment.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 PM
young rodder
New User
the grille in the donor truck is a 69 grille because the bottom and one up didnt have connectors as well as the top and one down

Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
young rodder
New User
Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
i believe that grill on that truck is a 68.
but i am positive it is not a 67. cause 67 grills are my favorite and i have been trying to find one. if it was a 67 grill all the bars would be the same size, and the one in the middle wouldnt be any larger than the others.
my previous post explains

Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM
northerndave
Elder User
Hey guys. I'll bump this one up a little bit. I hope everybody can understand that the whole mustang project being lost to an accident really took the wind out of my sails for a while.

I have been working on the old 1970 F250 some though, I have to because it's my plow truck and winter is suddenly here.

What I'm about to show you is pretty much the opposite of the quality of work that I put into the mustang project, by that I mean this is going to be some of the ugliest work you have ever seen. Lol!!

But it's kind of fun for me to just junk something together, it's a change of pace from my typical maticulous efforts (which i am kind of burnt out on right now)

Aint she sumthin?

I'll be getting junk yardishly creative by salvaging materials from the old yellow body pieces to make patches for what the "new" blue body pieces don't fix. Things like this dished area in the rear lower door opening area...

I think I see my repair patch back here on the upper rear corner of the bed side.

The 65 mustang donated a nice holley 4V carb with electric choke to the F250 and the old 360 really likes it.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:11 AM
northerndave
Elder User
This old box is junk so I'm cutting patches from it to use where I need. You can see here I took a lower section to use as a patch for a front fender, same conture so why not right?

The upper patch in that blue fender was cut from one of the old yellow fenders.

you can see here I've harvested quite a lot of metal from the old bedside for various patches.

How embarrasing to post yet it goes with the goal of functionality.

I warned you this was "rough work"

Old 11-24-2010, 08:16 AM
northerndave
Elder User
One of my helpers.

As it sits right now, floor patched as good as it will get this winter, "new" seat in place, doors on... plow frame repaired, It's a functional truck the way it sits. i do plan on pulling the yellow box and bolting on the blue one this week yet.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 AM
northerndave
Elder User
I'm probably going to buy actual stamped repro floor pans in the spring and put them in the right way, like I did recently with my 77 F150.

Before..

During...

After...

I'll do that with the floors on the yellow / blue beast next summer. i'll also do cab corners, cab support repairs, inner fenders, radiator support, a set of hi-boy springs and a paint job. Who knows, the old truck might even get some new tires.

I been eyeballing a set of 255/85 R16's in the new BFG KM2

Tall & skinny

The truck is going to need some bumpers too, front and back. I'll probably build those myself.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Functionality is a way of life here. Without it we would have nothing to drive. Keep up the good work.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't be embarrassed about your work, you aren't the only one doing repairs like that, your just the only one posting pictures of it. (I must confess, I've done more than a few like that myself) As my grandpa has told me "it's an old truck, it don't need anything special." Personally, I'd much rather see a truck cobbled together and actually used for something, rather than a perfect spotless show truck that never leaves it's trailer.

Sam

Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 AM
northerndave
Elder User
Well thanks guys. One thing for sure she's a good runner. Never let me down that way, the old girl is just rusting away that's all.

It seriously is a lot of fun though just junking something together. :grin:

Now when she gets looking a little healthier body wise it will inspire me to go back & redo some of my rougher junkyard dog patch work correctly when I have more time and better weather. Right now the truck is on call for snow plow duty so I have to pick my little windows of work opportunity.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:57 AM
northerndave
Elder User
Actually my cab floor patching is the only really embarassing work so far, the fender patching isn't finished off past rough grinding the welds but I did cut the bad areas out and puzzle fit my patches & butt weld them in, they aren't overlays like my floor job.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:37 PM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave, what a cool project, and I love the story of the truck...got a kick out of the young boy hangin' in the truck during repairs...what stories will he have to tell one day??...
I grew up in the cold winters and loved the plow harnessed trucks "working" my neighborhood. As a 14 year old, they were my competition, as I had been given an old Ariens snowblower from the farm equipment dealership I hung around at...I'd get up extra early and hit the neighborhood, knocking on doors to drum up work blowing the 3 foot post-blizzard snow out of driveways, hoping to beat the local truck guy to it...lots of the neighbors took pity on me I guess....I loved it so much I would've done it for free.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:03 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nice story behind the truck i like how you used pieces of the old parts wherever you could saved you some time and money until you can do it right do you have any pics of the cab mounts and cab corners? that you could post up i'm curious as to how they look i had to replace my floors and cab mounts on my 72 crew keep posting progress it was a great looking truck back in the day even up until you started work on it.

Quick Reply: time to give a little back to a truck that gave all.