Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Guages vs. Digital Monitors

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with digital is you actually have to read them. An analog gauge you just glance over and you see where the needle is at. .. you don't have to focus on them. After a while when you get used to typical numbers. . . you arrange the gauges so the needles point UP when they are normal. . . then its real easy to see when something is outta wack. A needle also give you the ability to see trends easier. . . example. . . when EGT is rising. . you can see how quickly its rising by the rate of the needle. . . try doing that with four numbers!
Timmy

Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 AM
SailCO26
Senior User
My general rule-of-thumb for gauges is that if it changes fairly quickly over a relatively broad span (Boost, EGT, RPM, etc), or has a range/redline, then it should be an analog gauge. If it changes slowly or has a fairly tight nominal range (EOT, voltage, etc), then digital is ok to save dash real estate - esp if you can add a redline warning.

I run analog EGT, Boost, and a Terminator/AeroForce scan gauge on the A-pillar, with a plan for an analog fuel pressure and analog airbag pressures when I put Clay's new 650 dash in (now that we can work w/ the ZF-6!).

Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 AM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Quadzilla with a chip package. the chip is a waist cause it actually screwed up my readings while on the throttle. but the guage part lets me have 4 readings of my choice (coolant,Boost, Tranni temp and EGT's). I am on my second one cause one of the buttons when bad and I couldn't scroll to change anything (warranty), but really once its set I have not touched it for a while.

its ok for guages, but if I did it over again I would go with regular gauges, but its just my choice. for what i does it works for me.

also along with my 4 readings on my pillar I also have three anolog type under the cubby for my in-bed tank fuel level and an extra boost cause I got one gauge for free and a PSI for my VO psi.
between my two boost readings one digital and one anolog there is about a 2-3 difference on psi. but nothing really that big.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 AM
dsrtrdr
Freshman User
This is something that I have been struggling with here lately. Until recently my mind was made up to get gauges. Then I started to read threads describing smog/emissions testing for diesels, and how some mods won't pass. In this case the boost probe and where and how it is attached. It is starting in California, but believe me as with all trends it starts here and migrates eastward. Some day we all be affected. So now I'm thinking digital, maybe once the demand rises the quality/effectiveness will increase. Just my flow of thoughts....

Old 03-04-2010, 03:54 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsrtrdr
This is something that I have been struggling with here lately. Until recently my mind was made up to get gauges. Then I started to read threads describing smog/emissions testing for diesels, and how some mods won't pass. In this case the boost probe and where and how it is attached. It is starting in California, but believe me as with all trends it starts here and migrates eastward. Some day we all be affected. So now I'm thinking digital, maybe once the demand rises the quality/effectiveness will increase. Just my flow of thoughts....
How would gauges cause a failure of emmissions? And why would digital or anolog make a differance?

How can the quality improve?

Old 03-04-2010, 03:59 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Having a probe in your exhaust to monitor EGT's is gonna make you fail an emissions test? I'd say that would be a stretch even in CA!
Don't listen to what CSIPSD says, he doesn't like having any extra gauges in his truck at all

Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would rather have a whole range to keep my eye on instead of a moving number. A red zone on a gauge keeps it easy enough for me to glance and realize something is instantly wrong.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:07 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

I am californian by birth and grew up there, I can see some a hole at an emission testing site failing you because you tapped in to the intake for a boost reading and it doesn't have a CARB number on the plastic flexi hose. They get all kinds of weird about stuff they don't have any business looking at.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:55 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Having a probe in your exhaust to monitor EGT's is gonna make you fail an emissions test? I'd say that would be a stretch even in CA!
Don't listen to what CSIPSD says, he doesn't like having any extra gauges in his truck at all
LOL...

Old 03-04-2010, 05:22 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
i love you gage setup, the way to go.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM
dsrtrdr
Freshman User
Sorry SuperDuty4x4.. I was talking in the line of intake modifications. Clem1226 knows what I'm talking about...here in Cali folks can be real strict and by the book. If it don't have a CARB sticker it will fail. I went through this with a modified Mustang that has a super charger...the guys at the testing site went through it all and checked references on the CARB stickers..PITA I must say...if everything is up to snuff no problems other than the time and the questions asked by the tech.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry SuperDuty4x4.. I was talking in the line of intake modifications. Clem1226 knows what I'm talking about...here in Cali folks can be real strict and by the book. If it don't have a CARB sticker it will fail. I went through this with a modified Mustang that has a super charger...the guys at the testing site went through it all and checked references on the CARB stickers..PITA I must say...if everything is up to snuff no problems other than the time and the questions asked by the tech.
California... it will never make sense to me

Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
if i where you i would move out of California they are killing your constitutional rights on so many ways that i cant count them. i know this sound bad but that is how i fill about it. then you could mod free of your choosing.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

IF YOU GO TO A SMOG SHOP THAT FAILS YOU FOR AN EGT PROBE... GO TO ANOTHER SHOP. This Ca. diesel smog test is very much so at the discretion of the tech. The shop I am going to is only doing a visible smoke test and plugging into the OBD11 looking for hidden DTC's.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 AM
homesteader
Elder User
Who sells the setup that goes right under the little storage compartment. I think it has 2 or 3 gauges and for rocker switches. Can't remember where i saw it .

Quick Reply: Guages vs. Digital Monitors