Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:48 PM
89MUDDOG
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loss of power

I have a 2.9 6 cilinder bronco II and i resently moved to montana, this winter i was starting it just about every day(it was sitting cause it needed new drive shaft) and when i finally got the drive shaft, i started it and there was a huge loss of power, it wont even rev up to 2000 RPM and wont go over 10-15 mph.
i have checked spark plugs and they are all good, and i have checked everything i know how. i let it sit for about 3 months before i was able to fix it, and at first i thought there was water in the gas, so i ran through all the gas and then put good gas in and nothing changed, then i changed the fuel filter, but had to red-neck rig it to make it fit in there. still nothing happened, i do have fuel pressure but maybe just not enough. any ideas of what i could check or do??

Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 PM
89MUDDOG
New User
oh and if i drive it around for a few minutes and let it warm up, the headers get so hot they turn orange and light up my engine at night.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:25 AM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds stupid, but I would check the exhaust for blockage (like field mice and such). You'd be surprised what might 'accumulate' with a vehicle sitting. The water is still a possiblity. Did you run HEET or any kind of water displacement additive through it? Did you try draining the entire tank? Did you check fuel delivery pressure with a gauge? Did you check all your vacuum lines for leaks? Only other possibilities would be revealed by pulling diagnostic codes..... other than something to do with the ignition (bad pickup/module/coil/wires/etc). Gotta be something....

Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 PM
89MUDDOG
New User
well, today i am taking the catalytic converters off because i drilled a hole in them today and the inside of it turns completely orange, and if that is not it i will have it diagnosed. when i drilled a whole in it all sorts of dirt and stuff came out

Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 PM
kernel-panic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're handy with a cheap pipe bender and mig, you can probably make your own converter test pipe and see if the converter is the cause of your problems. Otherwise, you might be able to talk a muffler shop into making a test pipe for you - of course, they will also want to install your new cat and charge you a pretty penny for it should that be the problem... but you can install one yourself fairly easily and avoid the expense.