Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hesitating/Surging issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really wish someone close to me had AutoEnginuity and would scan it..

Though I think I'm going to have to shell out the $359 to get it myself.. Just afraid of spending that kind of cash and not have it tell me what is wrong with the truck..

Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 AM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Talking to my buddy he told me to buy the IPR "rebuild" kit and he would do it for me. His Excursion was totaled in an accident so I let him take the truck tonight until he gets something else. So I ordered it tonight. We'll see if that fixes it. Worst case scenario is it doesn't change anything and I'm only out 30 bucks.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM
cavitation
Senior User
Crossing my fingers for you!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Thanks.. I'm doing the same.. The rebuild kit shipped today.. It should be here in a couple days.. So hopefully it'll get done next weekend.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 PM
SpectreZ91
Senior User
Ok.. update..

I got the rebuild kit.. Got the UVCH shims.. Oil and filter...

About a month ago I changed the oil when I was doing the caliper pins, but never got to the Shims or the rebuild kit.

Odly enough it seems the jerking and surging has gone away.. I've been very hesitant to post this because I didn't know if it was a temporary thing or not..

I'm not calling it "fixed" or "solved" but just wanted to give an update on the situation.. We'll see how things are in a month or so.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM
99StrokeXLT
Senior User
just read through this whole thread and now I feel involved, haha so I'm subscribing. Plus I'm thinking about doin the IPR R&R so keep us posted

Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 PM
TR6
New User
Subscribing. My 2001 7.3 F250 is doing all of this.
        Does it sound like a transmission problem or a motor problem or both? I'm afraid of the answer....

Greg

Old 03-29-2011, 09:50 AM
        greenwhite1
        New User
        I have a 1997 F350 that has the same surging issue at low throttle. It runs great if I mash the throttle, or it up to temp. Last fall I also had an occasion where I turned the corner and pushed the accelerator with no response. I replaced the TPS and it seemed to improve the overall driveability. I don't know if I would say it was completely gone but now it seems to be acting up once again. Mine has been going on for most of March. I feel your frustration!!!! I too am going to subscribe for any updates. If I figure anything out I will post.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM
        SpectreZ91
        Senior User
        I'll keep updating as much as I can.. I didn't drive it from last thurs-sun. However the 2 days this week I've driven it with no issues.. =(

Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 PM
        TR6
        New User
        Originally Posted by TR6
        Subscribing. My 2001 7.3 F250 is doing all of this.

• Power loss (bogging down) when I mash the throttle down while it is very cold (although it stopped doing this after the weather warmed up here. It only seemed to do it when the truck and the outside air temps were very cold). It would idle just fine. But as soon as put my foot in it, it would act like it wanted to die. Once it warmed up after 2-3 minutes, it ran ok.

• Overdrive light flashing periodically when this was happening. But sometimes it flashes even now even after the first symptom stopped happening (since the weather warmed up). It still has the periodic overdrive flashing light now.

• Surging idle when I put it in park.
        Does it sound like a transmission problem or a motor problem or both? I'm afraid of the answer....

Greg
        Truck seems to be running well now. I took it to a transmission shop. They scanned it and told me the code indicated that the speed sensor was reading incorrectly (it showed the truck was in motion when it was actually sitting still). Transmission shop said it wasn't a transmission problem and was more than likely electrical. Took it back to another shop and they did a bunch of checking with a multi-meter which indicated an anomoly. He asked me when I replaced the batteries. I said I replaced just the one side very recently because it failed, but Walmart said the other battery was fine. He told me that I should always replace batteries in pairs no matter what. Said that he was showing low voltage that he thought may be causing problems at startup. Something about various computer systems in the truck going through diagnostics at startup and perhaps something was getting a false signal due to low voltage. I asked him if he sold batteries. He said yes, but they were overpriced and recommended I go to walmart and buy a new battery. Said it was the cheapest thing to try first and if that didn't work, he'd try some other stuff. I went to walmart and replaced the other battery and the problem hasn't resurfaced since. No more hesitating, bogging, or flashing overdrive light. That was several weeks ago. Is it really fixed with something so simple? I'm rarely that lucky. Time will tell I guess....

Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 AM
        Visseroth
        Posting Guru
        Received 1 Like on 1 Post
        and I thought I was dumping money into my truck! Just installed the fuel pressure gauge, rear calipers, pads, shoes, changed rear axle fluid, changed rear cover (upgrade), fixed the thermostat housing leak, recently replaced the ICP, replaced 4 glow plugs and just ordered a trannie filtration kit and am going to change the trannie fluid since I know it's on it's last legs but I don't have the $$ for a new or rebuilt 6spd atm.
        Even bought a fuel pump with plans to drop the fuel tank and do all the tank mods and replace the pump until I found that I was getting 72psi and maintaining 62+ at WOT.

Anyhow, let us know how it goes and if rebuilding the IPR helps, it is next on my list and I'm thinking I may grab a TPS as well since I'm starting to get a little shutter here and there, specially when it's cold.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
        SpectreZ91
        Senior User
        Well Sorry for not updating this post..

Odly enough I stumbled across it in a search I was doing for something else.

3-16-11 I posted that I changed the oil and it seemed to fix it. I drove around for about 4,000 "ish" miles and it started to surge and hesitate again.. So I changed the oil and it went away.. So I'm going to go with the assumption that it's just because of old oil.

I don't put many miles on the truck a year.. Maybe enough to warrant 1 oil change..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 PM
        greenwhite1
        New User
        I forgot about this thread but just got a notification of a new post. I fixed my trucks and it has been fine all winter. I had a clogged EBP tube. My sensor was so full of soot so I tried to clean it but it made no difference so I replaced the sensor. It still didn't solve the problem. I took my pedal assembly off and checked both my TPS and IVS. I had replaced my TPS one year earlier with an after market one. I could see the meter jump/bounce around when checking the IVS. It was very hard to see and only happened just as a pushed the pedal off idle. (right where the problem was) So I broke down and bought a new Ford pedal assembly and it totally fixed it. Hope this helps others

Old 04-12-2012, 10:30 PM
        TR6
        New User
        I thought I'd give a long term update on mine. The battery replacement didn't cure the problem but an alternator did. I've had no more issues at all since the alternator was replaced. Turns out that my alternator was putting out plenty of voltage, but it was showing anomalies when the mechanic had it hooked to an oscilloscope. Something about the diodes that was putting out uneven power that was wreaking havoc on the various electrical systems on start up. Caused some sensors to read incorrectly among other things. All's well since and it's been about a year now.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 PM
        parkland
        Lead Driver
        Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
        Originally Posted by SpectreZ91
        I don't put many miles on the truck a year.. Maybe enough to warrant 1 oil change..
        xxx miles or every 3 months.

oil even gets old just sitting there because of contaminants sitting in it.

Quick Reply: Hesitating/Surging issues.