Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Fuel Return Line Kits (and viton o-rings)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Cruickie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I tried to order viton o-rings from mcmaster as recommended earlier in this thread but got this email message:

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr will only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada . We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Thank you,

David Ulam
McMaster-Carr Supply Co
330-995-5929

I'm going to try to find them for a decent price locally and also have to find a return line kit.... found this one: FORD 6.9 7.3 DIESEL INJECTOR RETURN LINE KIT 6.9L 7.3L : eBay Motors (item 160398010449 end time Feb-23-10 04:36:53 PST) but for $24 US plus $20 US for shipping I may be able to just get them for less locally. Also on ebay I found these viton o-rings:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-9-7...eaaded552#shId It time's like this that I wish I either was in the US or at least closer to the US. Parts are SO much easier get online there!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have someone here mail you the orings, they will fit in a letter and who knows.lol

Old 02-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Cruickie
Senior User
Great suggestion starmilt.... If anyone is willing to do that pm me. Not sure what the best way to do that but I'm sure something can be figured out (especially if the other party has done this sort of thing before!) I'm also needing to get the actual return line kit, could I do the same with that or is it too big of a package to send as a 'letter'? Thanks for the advice.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered 50... I can split them with you when they get here, just actual cost and shipping to you is all I would want.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
It will not fit in a letter but will in a priority envelope. I have never sent one to canada but I will ask the post master what the cost would be.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:33 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
I ship to Canada all the time... First Class Mail International for a 1lb package costs me about $8

Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Cruickie
Senior User
Thanks VERY much guys!

WarOzz, I'd love to take you up on the offer.... Just let me know how you want to do it.

Starmilt: That's sounds awesome, to get accurate figures the post master may require more info other than just country.... I'm in Nova Scotia and my postal code is B3G 1P5.

Again, thanks a lot guys..... it's nice to see good people are still out there!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
np... will let you know when they get here, should be mid week sometime.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Cruickie
So, I tried to order viton o-rings from mcmaster as recommended earlier in this thread but got this email message:

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr will only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada . We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Thank you,

David Ulam
McMaster-Carr Supply Co
330-995-5929

I'm going to try to find them for a decent price locally and also have to find a return line kit.... found this one: FORD 6.9 7.3 DIESEL INJECTOR RETURN LINE KIT 6.9L 7.3L : eBay Motors (item 160398010449 end time Feb-23-10 04:36:53 PST) but for $24 US plus $20 US for shipping I may be able to just get them for less locally. Also on ebay I found these viton o-rings:6.9 7.3 IDI Ford BioDiesel Viton Injector O-rings : eBay Motors (item 200435225938 end time Feb-09-10 10:54:44 PST) It time's like this that I wish I either was in the US or at least closer to the US. Parts are SO much easier get online there!
I knew that was the case with them 2-3 years ago, I was hoping that it might have changed by now. As far as sending anything up from stateside, as long as it is person to person, it doesn't seem to be an issue if it isn't anything that looks to have much value. Never tried it with anything new though (like injectors for example) to find out what kind of issues arise.

One of these days I need to get the passports etc setup to head south of the border, I'm seriously thinking of getting a bunch of stuff sent to a friends place in NY state (about a 3.5 hour run from here) such as new IP and injectors, GP's and the like. A quick drive down and load them up, away I go. Knowing him, he'd likely help me change them at his place so the only loose ones coming back would be the old used ones anyway!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Cruickie
Senior User
Originally Posted by greywynd
I knew that was the case with them 2-3 years ago, I was hoping that it might have changed by now. As far as sending anything up from stateside, as long as it is person to person, it doesn't seem to be an issue if it isn't anything that looks to have much value. Never tried it with anything new though (like injectors for example) to find out what kind of issues arise.

One of these days I need to get the passports etc setup to head south of the border, I'm seriously thinking of getting a bunch of stuff sent to a friends place in NY state (about a 3.5 hour run from here) such as new IP and injectors, GP's and the like. A quick drive down and load them up, away I go. Knowing him, he'd likely help me change them at his place so the only loose ones coming back would be the old used ones anyway!
As far as getting people to send stuff person to person.... Between WarOzz and Starmilt a plan is coming together and we'll see how that goes. I'm a little nervous because I've heard stories of people getting burned at the border and I've never done this before. But, sending person-to-person with the regular has been recommended to me before so we'll see!
I've got the passport thing sorted out so that's not an issue but the closest border crossing to me is St. Stephen NB to Calais ME and that's about 6 hours away. Also I don't know anyone there anyway! Maybe when I finally get posted I'll be closer to a border!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
If I could figure out a decent system, even legitimately bringing the stuff over, I would seriously think about setting up a bit of a 'distributorship' for lack of a better term for this stuff. Basically try to bring it up in larger quantities, then resell to those here that need it, and as long as exchange, duty and shipping costs were covered, I'd be happy. Anyone here truly know much about importing stuff into Canada?

I think the best thing for this would be to try to contact one good supplier and see if an agreement could be reached for volume purchases...anyone have a good suggestion for that?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I truck a lot of freight through canada and have to have a surety bond to make sure I don't leave anything in canada. Dropping off in canada takes a different bond amd is a whole different animal. If we mail something up there that is as far as anybody is concerned a gift is it subject to dutys.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Cruickie
Senior User
Originally Posted by starmilt
If we mail something up there that is as far as anybody is concerned a gift is it subject to dutys.
Just to confirm, are you asking IF a gift sent is subject to duties, saying it IS subject to duties or that a gift ISN'T subject to duties?

No disrespect intended.... I'm just new to the cross-border thing and I want to ensure I understand properly!

Edit:
I just answered my own question (providing that the information is correct). From the website:

http://www.buyusa.gov/canada/en/guid...consumers.html

it says the following regarding gifts:

Items sent to a Canadian as a gift by another person must include a card or notice indicating it is a gift. Clearly identified gifts worth CDN$60 or less are not subject to duties or taxes; however,gifts greater than CDN$60 are subject to duties and taxes. This CDN$60 exemption does not apply to tobacco, alcohol, advertising material, or items sent by a business or association.

The way I interpret that is if WarOzz sends me the o-rings (definitly less than $60) and someone can hook me up with a return line kit (also under $60 I would think) sent as a gift than I'm good to go (no duties or taxes!)

Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Good luck with mailing stuff from the US to Canada and vsvs. I sent a package to wreckinball weeks ago and it still hasn't gotten there. It'll be a long wait.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I always use the all you can stuff in them one rate priority envelopes to alaska and usually gets there pretty quick.
I just sent a exhaust manifold to a member in michigin and priority was pretty but they only charged 80 cents extra for tracking.

Quick Reply: Fuel Return Line Kits (and viton o-rings)