Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Looking for other C series owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Southgate
How much would you want for the doors, (or one), and the fenders? Dan
Dan, I will need to check with a wrecking yard to see what doors are going for and come up with a price. Why don't you email your phone number to me at beutlerfire32@comcast.net so we can talk.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Soils To Grow Farms
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike2366
Hi Mike,
I have a 1971 C-900 That started its life as a Ward LaFrance Pumper. I bought it at auction in 1997, took the fire apparatus and put a 16' Scott grain body on it. Sure is a good truck and does a lot of work for us. It's truck # was 511 as a fire truck and if you look close you can see a small 511 right ahead of the doors.
Great looking truck. Do you know what the cab and chassis weight is with out the body on it?

I have a C 8000 and I need to find the approximate cab and chassis weight. I want to put a water tank on it but am restricted to axle limits. Before I spend alot of cash on this I would really like to know the bare cab and chassis weight. Thanks
Jack

Old 04-01-2012, 01:12 PM
stangftl
New User
Hey, y'all.. New kid on the block, here. I've owned a '78 C-7000 for about six years, that I bought for a hurricane "Rescue-Racer" down here in (usually) sunny So. Florida. Naturally, we haven't had so-much as hint of a storm since (I think the state owes me big-time).. ..

I found it on eBay up in Oklahoma (I grew up in Tulsa), flew up and drove it back. As best I can tell, it started life as a city-tractor for Mayflower Moving (found traces of orig paint), but was converted by the owner of an electrical company to be his big-bad Boss Truck. It has a Cat 3208 with 5X2 gears (man), and tops-out around 60-65MPH but, open country, I got about 16MPG. Not too shabby for an old tank like this.

It was high adventure driving the truck home, and we truly got to know each other in the "biblical" sense. Among other things (somewhere in Arkansas), I learned about how to deal with hydraulic clutch issues (DEF bench-bleed the master BEFORE installing). I know how to "slip-shift" the gears without the clutch, but killing the engine at every stop-light was a bit more risk than I was willing to take. As we get to know each other better, maybe I'll bend a few ears with more stories...

(By the way, the fellow with the traces of found orange paint probably has a Roadways Freight veteran)...

Cheers...
-Stang

Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Originally Posted by Soils To Grow Farms
Great looking truck. Do you know what the cab and chassis weight is with out the body on it?

I have a C 8000 and I need to find the approximate cab and chassis weight. I want to put a water tank on it but am restricted to axle limits. Before I spend alot of cash on this I would really like to know the bare cab and chassis weight. Thanks
Jack
Jack,
Finding the bare chassis weight can only be done by running it across the scales. We weigh each chassis when it comes in, as every truck is different based on the engine, transmission and various options. The manufacturers do not provide that info. A general rule of thumb used in the fire truck business is a steel water tank is going to weigh 10 lbs per gallon, as water weighs 8.33 lbs per gallon, so based on your material you should be able to come up with a good estimate of weight. You will need to take axle/spring ratings and wheelbase into consideration.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM
stangftl
New User
Sound advice, Mike, and I really enjoyed hearing about the family legacy with your smoke-eater. Scales can be found at just about any truck-stop, but they can also often be found at household moving agencies, recycling yards, and land-fill/dumps. A call to the nearest Mayflower/United (etc.) agency can usually get you a tip as to the nearest one...

Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM
stangftl
New User
Okay, kiddos.. Here's your chance to move to the big-leagues. Things just are what they are, and "Clyde" is on the auction-block. It breaks my heart, but it closes Saturday (05MAY) at 6PM (EST)...
1978 DIESEL FORD CAB-OVER C-7000 UTILITY-BODY, 3208, FULL AIR-BRAKES 1978 DIESEL FORD CAB-OVER C-7000 UTILITY-BODY, 3208, FULL AIR-BRAKES | eBay

Old 06-02-2012, 05:54 PM
madrid london
Senior User
truck parts

by now you probably solved your window track search. Dennis Carpenter, has parts.
I have a 1973 C706; old JC. Penney's 24 ft box truck.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 PM
stangftl
New User
It's been several weeks since the auction, but the re-list was successful, and the truck is awaiting shipping to Mexico, by way of New Mexico. The transaction has been a bit convoluted, but the money is in the bank. Still, once again, I digress.

Helping arrange for shipping, I took Clyde to the local recvcle yard to hit the scale, and got a bit of a surprise. The truck is rated for about 24k GVWR, but crossed the plates at only 15,500#s (with a half-can of fuel). If you're gonna' mess with big-trucks, it's worth your while to think like a big-truck driver. The difference of real-world weight might have a significant effect on your insurance rates and, depending on your state, might also change your status for plate rates. The scale-ticket also puts the truck comfortably in the non-CDL category (full air-brakes not withstanding). But that's another arguement...

Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 PM
madrid london
Senior User
1973 C 706e

i have purchased and restoring an old JC Penney delivery and am also looking for advise and part sources

Originally Posted by Southgate
Is anyone still following this thread? I just joined the forum mainly for this topic, the C-cab Ford. I'm hoping to take delivery of one real soon, a 1980, and am joining to share the experience here, as well as learn what I might need to as well. Dan

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 AM
madrid london
Senior User
Mike-fire32 i read somewhere in a post that you were parting out a truck, do you have a good steering column???

Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by stangftl
The scale-ticket also puts the truck comfortably in the non-CDL category (full air-brakes not withstanding). But that's another arguement...
The scale ticket tells you absolutly nothing as to whether or not it's in Non CDL territory.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
C-900 parts truck

To everyone who has asked about parts from the C-900 fire truck I purchased to part out, I must appologize to you for not responding. A few factors that have played into that include that I have not been on this site in probably 6 months (and I'm the one who started it), I have not touched the truck in several months and at this point, I am going to leave it driveable until I am ready to completely tear it apart. I may even leave it complete and use it as a flat bed, only time will tell. If I get to a point where I am tearing it apart, I will post it on here. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Speeddm
New User
Here is a couple pics of our 66 C600. Next tag is to flat deck it and paint her.

We use it every week at our sign shop.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 AM
madrid london
Senior User
C600

nice lookin engine. you obviously rebuilt it. did you have to lift the cab off to pull engine ??

Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Speeddm
New User
The cab tips far enough to pull it out. It was very handy having the boom lift that could pull it's own engine.

I didn't have time to build this engine so I bought a rebuilt.

We were going to replace the truck with a new one ton but that damn truck works so well. we are going to do a mild restoration and keep it in service.

Does any one know where I could get a service manual for this truck? Even a parts manual. Would help.

Quick Reply: Looking for other C series owners