Virginia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

January VA Chat Thread... All Welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by MissIndependent
blasted weather...29* now and the pipes froze last night. grrr...my useless lease agent has done nothing about it besides tell me not to put my space heater under the house...
probably better off doing what my brother does.. his house has a crawlspace under it which has all his pipes running... first year he moved in the pipes froze 3 times on him.. what he found to do was to take his drier vent hose and "feed" it under the house... then he just ran the drier for awhile... itd thaw his pipes out after a bit... when hed moved in hed been wondering what the 2nd hole in his wall was for there... dunno if thats why it was there but thats what he uses it for...

Originally Posted by HillbillyRockstar09
Indeed it is good to CLEAN it every cpl of years! trouble is last year the basement was being redone(by moi) and for some reason i just never used the fp and the year before the only reason i even down to the basement was to let the dog out back LOL but this year with everything done and all Ive just been too busy to schedule someone to give it a good cleanin.

The TH is raggedy as far as the electric is concerned and there are still two of the orginal toilets left! the other two have been replaced LOL Its a great nieghborhood but thier wasnt a lot of thought put into the design/bldg. of this devolpment LOL I gues the late 70's wasnt a "creative" period for home construction here in FFX Co? LOL
TH??

Old 01-03-2010, 09:09 PM
HillbillyRockstar09
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TH??[/quote]

LOL sorry bout that: TH=TownHouse....

Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
ahh... well least it gives ya something to do... little fixerupper...

Old 01-03-2010, 09:46 PM
MissIndependent
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all right, i'm way past angry now...do any of you know anything about tenants' rights in virginia or how to lodge a complaint about a violation of the virginia residential landlords and tenants act? we have been without running water since i woke up this morning and our property manager has done absolutely nothing, which seems to me to be in clear violation of the act. she seems to think that since we "aren't the only ones in this boat" that it's ok and told us that we will have to "just wait until the pipes thaw." bull****, imo- the top 10 hits when i googled what to do about frozen pipes said call a plumber to thaw them by handheld heat source and then keep all the faucets dripping to prevent re-freezing. although my guess is they are insulated poorly if at all and probably burst by now...

i miss running water even more than i miss a running truck

Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
sorry dont know a thing about them kind of laws...

youll have a long wait till they thaw on their own... ntm dripping faucets wont keep them from freezing and will run up ur bill in the end... i still say try the drier trick if you can get the outlet hose long enough to get under there...

Old 01-04-2010, 06:39 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning VA......

Old 01-04-2010, 10:48 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 224 Likes on 182 Posts
Good morning Virginia!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Good Morning Virginia. Fair bit of snow on the ground this morning. Must have snowed all night.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
Happy Christmas and a Merry New year mah peoples!!

2010, new year, new time for change. . .don't hope for bigger and better things, make them happen

Sorry about the frozen pipes, I would suggest a heat blanket over the froze pipes or a space heater blowing over them or in the room they are frozen in. I would assume being where you are it is ground water and you will probably find the well pump is either out doors or close to a wall or under the house or something and frozen. . .or otherwise exposed to cold *** temps

And for trailer wiring. . .I don't know much of anything about wiring. . .it's damn near magical to me and beyond understanding

And if you guys don't see me again for a month, I am spending my online time obsessing about living aboard and starting boat shopping

Ta-Ta!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
i figure shes got a crawl space under the house so those pipes are exposed under there....

Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Franken-Truck
Postmaster
hopefully nothing has split. . .they have the foam pipe insulation sleeves you can put over them. . .not sure if that would help any though in the future

Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
yeah... problem with crawl spaces is freezing pipes are a commonality... even with the insulators it still happens... best way try and combat it is to have all the vents closed up best you can so the heat that escapes through the floor can keep the crawlspace warm along with the pipes...

Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning VA.....

Coffee is on!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MissIndependent
all right, i'm way past angry now...do any of you know anything about tenants' rights in virginia or how to lodge a complaint about a violation of the virginia residential landlords and tenants act? we have been without running water since i woke up this morning and our property manager has done absolutely nothing, which seems to me to be in clear violation of the act. she seems to think that since we "aren't the only ones in this boat" that it's ok and told us that we will have to "just wait until the pipes thaw." bull****, imo- the top 10 hits when i googled what to do about frozen pipes said call a plumber to thaw them by handheld heat source and then keep all the faucets dripping to prevent re-freezing. although my guess is they are insulated poorly if at all and probably burst by now...

i miss running water even more than i miss a running truck
not too sure on the laws in Va but in the MD -Dc area you contact the housing authorities-yes running water is a must
do a google search ya might find something on there
close up any and all openings under the house -and sparky made a great suggestion about the dry vent-if it's doable in your case good luck

Good morning to the great state of Virginia

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 224 Likes on 182 Posts
Good morning Virginia!

Quick Reply: January VA Chat Thread... All Welcome!