1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent windows, gauges, radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 PM
ShaunGreen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OKAY!!! Here is the best answer I found to the issue.

The OD wire runs inside the shifter, every time you shift the wire rubs and eventually it wears down the insulator. Once this happens, slowly all of these things start to go batty, and as this is happening, it is killing your instrument cluster. I would say at 110k miles check that wire for wear.

Once your cluster is destroyed it is time for a new one or have it repaired. if you get a new one you must have it synced up to your vehicles specs by a professional.

So far I just removed mine, it was killing my battery after the guages went all wacky, and my 4x4 wouldn't engage. I charged the battery, removed the instument cluster, and its working until I get my new cluster, no windows, no radio, but 4x4 works and truck is acting better

Old 04-14-2015, 07:29 PM
jdaniels
New User

I just repaired a cluster from a 2004 F450 with this problem. Granted if your not a tech with the proper tools it can be daunting. not sure what part of the repair did it but this should help a few out there. I resoldered the left and right side of the large 9s12 Micro and the left and right sides of the smaller IC to the right and all my problems were gone. I used regular fine rosin core solder, electronics grade solder station with a pencil tip. and solder wick. For the Micro, flood the pins with solder, use the solder wick to pull back the excess and use a magnifying glass to ensure there are no shorts. On the smaller IC I just re-flooded the pins and checked for shorts.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Tintman100
New User
Just soldiered one pin and it worked

I found this thread very helpful. I opened the back of the instrument cluster and checked the pins as indicated in the photo of the previous post. You need something small and you need to be careful the pins on the chip are very delicate. The pin on the right side 14 up from the bottom looked good but when a little pressure was put on one side it moved. I used a very small pencil soldering tip to heat up and reflow the solder. It worked and seems to have solved the problem. I hope this helps!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 PM
pinnick
New User
I have same problem. When DC voltage goes over 16.3 it clicks off. Will have alternator checked .with all accessories off. Lights included

Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Javo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jdaniels & Tintman100 THANK YOU! I have been dealing with the no windows and no radio thing now for about 3 weeks. I have traced wires, replaced relays and checked fuses with no solutions. My problem has been about 95% of the time though, to the point I was surprised when they would work. I pulled my IC yesterday and started checking those pins and sure enough, I found a loose one. Mine is on the top side of the chip however so you have to check all of them. Unfortunately, I don't have a pencil tip soldering tool but my wife does work with some radio guys who are fully equipped for this type of situation. Even if you had to take it to a local shop somewhere it couldn't be more than $20-30 to have it done. Sure beats the cost of a new one or a rebuild. I am going on vacation but will have this repaired when I get back. When I do I will post the results here, but a loose pin on that chip sure seems like it would be the issue.

Reps sent to you both. Thanks again, I have spent hours researching this problem and you two were the only ones I found with pictures and detailed information. I suggest this fix go into the Tech Folder since it's such a big issue.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:42 PM
rheuer13
New User
I'm having some of the same issues with my 05 F150 5.4L. Brake light is on all the time, When I start the truck my back up sensors beep then automatically shut off, My cruise control works intermittently, occasionally my interior light will come on while I'm driving.... Could all this mean a bad PCM/ECM?

Old 03-28-2016, 06:19 PM
DNK-HD
New User
Originally Posted by rheuer13
I'm having some of the same issues with my 05 F150 5.4L. Brake light is on all the time, When I start the truck my back up sensors beep then automatically shut off, My cruise control works intermittently, occasionally my interior light will come on while I'm driving.... Could all this mean a bad PCM/ECM?
All of my issues were cured by replacing the instrument cluster. For some reason, Ford uses the cluster to control everything. You will have to have the new cluster flashed with your VIN and mileage before it will work properly.
GOOD LUCK!!

Old 03-31-2016, 05:28 PM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DNK-HD
All of my issues were cured by replacing the instrument cluster. For some reason, Ford uses the cluster to control everything. You will have to have the new cluster flashed with your VIN and mileage before it will work properly.
GOOD LUCK!!
DNK-HD, tell him where you got your cluster that solved all of your problems!

Thanks again for the opportunity!

We specialize in repairing and rebuilding circuitry in automotive modules. By repairing these components, CBM offers customers an alternative to high cost replacement parts and a timely solution for malfunctioning vehicles.
Visit us at www.CircuitBoardMedics.com or call us at 800-547-2049.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:17 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that I know you are a sponsor I will keep you in mind for all these issues.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 AM
pullmeup
New User
ralphie

could this be the relay behind the ashtray paired with the flasher?

Old 06-04-2016, 03:54 PM
CircuitBoardMedics
SPONSOR
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pullmeup
could this be the relay behind the ashtray paired with the flasher?
I think that we had already determined that the instrument cluster was causing his problems. Here's a link to our rebuild service for the cluster:

2005-07 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Repair | CBM

We have replacement clusters ready to ship that come fully programmed with mileage and engine hours too:

2005-07 Ford Super Duty Instrument Cluster Core Exchange

We specialize in repairing and rebuilding circuitry in automotive modules. By repairing these components, CBM offers customers an alternative to high cost replacement parts and a timely solution for malfunctioning vehicles.
Visit us at www.CircuitBoardMedics.com or call us at 800-547-2049.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:22 PM
BobbyB69
5th Gear
Freaking Ford

Originally Posted by Jmatthews
Lots of people have had this problem including me, I haven't found any sure shot cure. Some people mess with the relays and such, I just bang on the dash above the radio and it all starts working again.
I've beat on the dash 2 of my 95 F150 when my blower quits working my tach quits working my windows quit working my radio light goes off and wipers go straight up in the which is vertical my windows go down really slow when it happens and they don't want to come back up my tach drops to zero and my blower is like very lightly blowing air but not strong that I hit the dash it all comes back on again and I can't find out the problem either somebody out there please help us. If I turn off or disconnect the blower harness under hood all worked. Is it my blower or??????.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Billy2316
New User
BCM

Originally Posted by dpigme
thanks for the info
but my truck is a 02 there is no gem behind the fuse box
i think the gem is in the instrument cluster
if any of you know
or any other suggestions
i need help
is behind the radio on the firewall

Old 02-28-2021, 02:22 AM
Jim Brobst
New User
Ford excursion

I have the problem that the gauges windows radio, going on and off sometimes,how can I correct the problem?

Old 02-25-2022, 07:41 PM
scurling
Freshman User
Well, my 2004, F250 SD, with 65000 miles has the same issue. No intermittent trouble, I just went to start it last week, and I had : No windows, interior lights, instrument cluster, or radio. Everything else works. Has been no problem up until this issue.

I have had a trickle charge on the vehicle for a couple of months since I work from home (2 years now), and don't use my truck every day. Hope that didn't add to the trouble.

So glad I checked out the Forum. I'll be looking for the instrument cluster problem, and the wire short posted in the Excursion section.

Quick Reply: Intermittent windows, gauges, radio