7.5L Ford 460 Oil Cooler Heat Exchanger Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 08:43 PM
ranch-verteran
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not a old thread some of us are around.

ok not sure exactly what youre are trying to do or where you are at,

get a oil filter delete kit, use a remote mount dual filter settup. 1 is a micron filter ant other is standard. with the oil and fuel quality these days the micron helps alot.

theres a space that a filt will fit and bolt to on the drivers side in front of the tire below the air filter. you have to cut the plastic fender well for acess. i use a mud flap to cover up the area that is bolted in. makes quick changes of filters.

i added a manual oil pressure gauge. if it drops 5 psi change the filter. the oil will last up to 10k miles even if not using synthetic. i still change every 2.5k but dont always have the time.

the oil cooler i run a large hydraulic cooler in front of the radiator, 1 of my trucks i mounted bac besides engine with a fan. either way work.

the oil lines go from the filter to the cooler to the engine. so its always getting cooled down oil feeding it which helps. the cooler has 1/2 to 1 inch internal lines so its non restricting.

on the radiator hose i think its a 390/427 if i recal, i got the part numbers for napa on a file somewhere. there is radiator hoses that have diferent size ends that will fit. i got a few diferent types. i got 11 of these 460s and everyone is a little diferent. easiest way to find a hose is take a metal rod and bend it to the rough shape needed for the hose and length then look at what they have at the store.

another thing is add a coolant filter. it makes a huge diference. with the ethonal fuel even e5 these engines will run 100 degress hotter on top of the motor. i put a temp gauge in on the rear of the block and 1 on the fron of the bock. i had defective 1 zip tied to the top of the valley to get some readings. when pulling hills watch the rear temp gauge it will heat up. the port is by cylinder 8 for the gauge. if that hits 220 back off on throttle.

i got 11 of these and a few parts trucks, close to 40 fords overall. i parked my 460s due to fuel quality and e5+. my trucks are heavy and i tow almost every mile. so heat, oil filters where constant problems. my 1 truck i put a 4 inch body lift, cut the core support and created a 4 inch air dam over the radiator into the engine. it dropped everything down 150 degrees in the engine compartment. just is alot of work to retrofit a dozen trucks when theres a idi in every scrap yard just needing fuel.

any questions ask away. these are good engines and keeping what i have of them. just waiting to get time to mess with some 3d printing and do some work on these to see what can be unlocked power wise. the cooling system and the heads are the weakest link. i have had my fair share of head gaskets, steam pockets in blocks blowing holes outward an into cylinder bores. have had good luck repairing them.

1 thing is make sure the lower hose has a steel spring inside of it. if it doesnt it will collapse. had this happen several times. i know 1 truck didnt have it and i thing i use a irigation hose or could have been turbo fex tube. i cant rember it was laying around what i had. there is collant hose that is pre bent or can be bent to shape. hydraulic shops have it. there is some hoses rated for 600 degrees that are suction and form fit as well. i know alot of these parts have been discontinued. but theres still options out there. thin wall tubing is another option with hoses as well.

have fun, hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Lt.Redbeard
3rd Gear
7.5 struggles

Originally Posted by F350JOHN
It's my long dead thread. I had well documented pictures, but FTE let them disappear due to site changes. Sadly, I sold the truck way back in 2006ish. So I can't go take a quick look. There is a standard replacement hose that mounts right up. Share some pics of what you're doing, and I'll try to help.
I will have to take some pictures tomorrow. But basically I have a new style B50 90degree adapter to replace the aged oil cooler. I purchased the dayco hose that was suggested by multiple sources. The outlet for my water pump is 2 inch and not 1 3/4. So that rendered the dayco suggested hose useless. The hose is my biggest problem at the moment. Next is the position the 90degree adapter is able to be clocked. Anything facing the back of the block is no go. The 9oclock position ( pointing straight out to the front) is not preferable but may be my only option. Or even higher.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:51 PM
ranch-verteran
5th Wheeling
where did you get the 90 degree fiting? that very well could be the problem itself. pictures help. i will check thru and see if i cant find part numbers for you. might be a few days.

the fitting should face down and under the serpentine belt. not back nor forwards.

i cant upload a picture but do have 2 that show the angle of that hose position. did a quick search of the dates i know i bought that hose, bothtimes had the engine out and not seeing it off hand. i can find it although. see if you cant get some pictures up and will help with this. pm if you need the pictures i have if it helps.

Old 12-10-2023, 09:02 PM
Lt.Redbeard
3rd Gear
7.5 struggles

Originally Posted by ranch-verteran
where did you get the 90 degree fiting? that very well could be the problem itself. pictures help. i will check thru and see if i cant find part numbers for you. might be a few days.

the fitting should face down and under the serpentine belt. not back nor forwards.

This is how it is set up with the ford 90 degree adapter

its not a great picture but gives the idea of what I am facing.

Old 12-11-2023, 07:55 AM
ranch-verteran
5th Wheeling
that filter should be facing down not forward like that.

filters should never be in a flat position. always up and down or else they wont work corectly.

also need to orientate the filter down so you can pre fill it.

if youre trying to get easier acess to the filter so its not tight to the frame rail and cross member then need to a go to a remote filter mount it as i did. again vertical not horizontal.

get the filter in the corect position and the coolant hose will fit corectly.

Old 12-12-2023, 05:52 PM
Stormtrooper69
Trailering
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok......I'm going to abuse this old thread.
First, let me say thank you to all of those who have done the hard work before I had to.
I recently picked up a '96 F350 CCLB 4x4 460 E4OD, it only had 134,000 on it and the previous owner kept it in immaculate condition. I searched for a long time to find one in this shape and didn't waste too much time once I had.

On to business.......
I want to ditch that factory water/oil cooler and came here for help. Yesterday I found a 1990 460 dump truck and it had the oil air/oil filter adapter, and today I stopped at the yard and removed the adapter. The original oil hoses were rusted and trash, so I had to cut them for the removal. I couldn't get the fitting out of the block, so I'll go back on Saturday morning with my impact gun and get that out. Not sure if I'll need that fitting, but I'm not taking a chance on not having it if needed.
The filter adapter I removed is covered in years worth of oil and dirt so I have it soaking in the garage now. I'll post the p/n from it once I get it cleaned up in the next day or so.
Let me know if anyone wants pics of it and I'll take some and post. I am going to have to find a new o-ring for the adapter to block seal, I don't think I have any that big on hand right now.

Thanks to everyone for the great info and help on this forum.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:21 PM
F350JOHN
More Turbo
Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper69
Ok......I'm going to abuse this old thread.
First, let me say thank you to all of those who have done the hard work before I had to.
You're absolutely welcome to post your results here. This old thread was a great info source until FTE had issues migrating pictures and links over to their new forum software, years ago. It's a shame so much was lost. But oh well. It is what it is. 🤷

Please post pics! We all look forward to seeing what you've done!

Old 12-13-2023, 11:21 AM
Stormtrooper69
Trailering
Originally Posted by F350JOHN
You're absolutely welcome to post your results here. This old thread was a great info source until FTE had issues migrating pictures and links over to their new forum software, years ago. It's a shame so much was lost. But oh well. It is what it is. 🤷

Please post pics! We all look forward to seeing what you've done!
Will do, thanks!

I got a good deal on one of the plate type coolers during Black Friday sales, and picked up that filter adapter yesterday, so I'm slowly amassing the necessary parts. My truck already had one of those plate type coolers for the transmission so when I add the engine oil cooler I'll make a common rail type arrangement so that I can mount them both to common rails. I'll try and duplicate a setup I made years ago on an older truck that worked out great.

I had to change out my radiator recently due to the original starting to leak at one of the corners of the plastic tank. I wanted to change all of the radiator hoses while I was doing that swap and that's what kicked off this whole idea of getting rid of that oil/water oil cooler. If I was going to fight those lower hoses, I was only going to do the battle once and make things more user friendly for future work. I swapped in one of the Coldcase aluminum radiators. It was a direct fit and so far has worked out fine. The core is larger than the original as well, so that was a nice bonus.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:44 AM
Brandon2019
4wd Low
This thread has been super helpful but i cant help but to notice that everyone either replaced the oil cooler with an oem air cooled oil cooler from the 80s or just deleted the oil cooler all together. I tow a medium sized fifth wheel sometimes and feel that i should have some type of oil cooler. The heat exchanger in my 93 is failing. I cannot find an oem air cooled system at my pick n pull. Even if i did, the parts on these 80s trucks sometimes look a little borderline.

Does anyone have an aftermarket kit that they are happy with that both has the correct hose I.D and comparable to stock cooling ability?

Old 02-28-2024, 08:28 AM
Stormtrooper69
Trailering
I got one of these plate type coolers during one of the holiday sales. You can search around for the best price. I have used these coolers in the past and they were always durable and worked well. I have used them for transmission coolers and engine oil coolers without issue. I never noticed any pressure drop that I would be concerned about. These have some pretty decent sized threaded openings so you can choose which type of hose connection you prefer. I'm planning to eliminate the water/air oil cooler on my truck in the near future using this cooler. I was fortunate enough to find one of the OEM oil filter adapters off of a 1990 F350 dump truck, so I plan to use that to replace the water/air one, but plenty of other folks have used the Ford Racing adapter, and various aftermarket adapters. I have used a bunch of the Transdapt adapters in the past on race cars and trucks without issue, and those also allow you to choose the type of hose connections you want.

You're also going to need a new lower radiator hose when you remove that water/air cooler. I just picked up one from Napa p/n 7927, based on what info others have provided about this type of swap in various threads here.

EMPI VW Oil Cooler - Competition - 72 Plate - Cooler Only - 9265 (jbugs.com)

I'm going to use this DIN Rail to mount the coolers. I have used it in the past without issue and you can mount 2 coolers to a long enough piece of rail without issue as long as you use enough mounting points to the core support.

DIN Rail Mounting, Aluminum, Mounting Track - 18Z758|18Z758 - Grainger

Old 02-28-2024, 05:13 PM
Brandon2019
4wd Low
How do you interpret this? Which orientation is it supposed to be mounted?

Old 02-28-2024, 05:32 PM
Stormtrooper69
Trailering
You can mount it whichever way is most convenient. I'm going to mount mine so that the hose fittings are on the bottom and the oil hoses will be run under the radiator core support.
I have mounted all of the previous ones I have used this way and never had an issue. You could mount the cooler sideways and have the hoses enter and exit from the side, but you'll have more work to do routing the hoses, fittings, etc vs having them come up from under. If you mount it with the fitting pointing to the side you will want the input on the top fitting and the return on the bottom fitting.

The line you have highlighted is just a description of this plate type cooler vs the typical round tube and fin coolers. The airflow will be across the plates vs across the tube/fins.

Hope this helps.