Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:30 PM
bsorge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Starting

Hello all,
I have a 2000 F-250 Lariat 4X4 with a 7.3L DTI. For the last couple of months my truck has been hard starting in the morning. When I start it I literally have to let it idle for at least 15 minutes. When it is warming up and it goes to high idle, sometimes it stalls. I know that diesels want to idle and be warm before you drive it and I do this, but lately I know there is something wrong. If I try to drive it before it is warm enough, the truck will go about 100 yards then die. It is very hard to restart it once it dies, and sometimes when it does restart it idles very rough, jumping from about 500 - 1500 RPM for a couple of minutes. Once it is warm and I drive it, the lag for the turbo to kick in is about five or six seconds and it runs rough. Also, once it is warm enough, I can shut it off and start and drive off right away the rest of the day no problems unless it sits for a few hours, then I have to start the process of warming it up all over again. This is not normal for sure. I know that in the event of an emergency I should be able to cold start it and drive right off with no problems although it is not good for it. And if I plug it in over night, then it seems to run a little better. Any ideas? I have not made any mods to the truck other than adding a K&N air filter a couple years ago. The truck has about 134K miles.

Thanks,

Bruce

Old 04-26-2010, 03:36 AM
JJ98
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when the last time you did the fuel filter also check the alternater cuase the the glow plug turn on and off till the engine is warm they use a lot of amps watch your gage you will see it move also make sure the air filter system is clean and if all is good see if there a code