Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight in-bed for Winter Traction

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:09 PM
BigSix1
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
How slow do you guys drive over bridges in the winter? I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone here. Everyone keeps saying "Slow down when you're about to cross a bridge." but I don't know what's "slow" enough? 60 mph? 50? 40?

It's funny.. seems like most of our bridges around here are always curved. It's almost like they want you to slide into the wall, heh.
That's easy--go no faster than the speed at which you're willing to crash.

But I'm actually being serious.

As you no doubt already know, most bridges freeze faster than the attached roadways, as the air under the bridge is usually colder than Mother Earth, under the roadways.

Curved bridges are definitely worse, as they require greater steering authority (traction) to negotiate than simply running in a straight line, with ZERO "lateral g-forces."

Do ALL of your slowing down before you enter the bridge--ESPECIALLY on a curved bridge. Hitting the brakes while on a curved, icy bridge is an excellent way to:

a) make the evening news, and
b) be home late for dinner--if you're lucky.

It might help you to imagine that the curved bridge is really a curved section, marked out by cones, on a frozen pond.

Can you "shoot the cones" at 60 mph, in a CURVE, on a frozen pond, and not hit any? Are you SURE? Then that's how fast you can do it on an icy bridge. Most people without Scandinavian last names (or French ones, like WRC-champion Sebastian Loeb) would not reliably be able to "drift" a pickup truck, at 60 mph, ON ICE, in a curve, and guarantee being able to stay within the cones. And instead of merely hitting a cone if you miscalculate, bridges usually have a nice drop-off on both sides....

So...less than 60mph, would be my suggestion.

As a general rule, consider dropping at least 10-20mph off of your winter road speed, for the bridge. MORE if it's a curved bridge. EVEN more if there's other vehicles around.

Oh--and be sure you "telegraph" your attention to slow down, for the bridge, to the people tailgating you, by tapping your brakes just enough to light your brake lights, before you actually start slowing down. They may be "texting" or playing with their Ipod, and not even aware that a bridge is coming up, and thus not ready when you actually do start slowing down, in advance of crossing the bridge.

Again, I seriously suggest you go no faster than you want to crash at. The ice is much slipperier than packed snow, which can be sometimes be negotiated at highway speeds, if no one is nearby, on a limited-access highway, and the road is straight.

I find it helpful to do "brake tests," occasionally, as the temps drop, to see how slippery it's getting, by braking carefully (when no vehicles are anywhere near me). Of course, that just tests the roadway--again, you must assume the bridge is frozen.

If you can find a frozen parking lot, to practice on, that may be beneficial to you, but scope one out NOW, so you know where the storm drains/potholes are, so you don't eff up your suspension, by hooking a storm drain while sliding sideways.

If you're lucky enough to find a flooded/then frozen parking lot, definitely spend some time finding out how useless your brakes are on pure ice, and how "tail happy" your truck may get when turning and braking at the same time.

Another general rule: Do your braking in while headed straight ahead.

Many road racers try not to combine braking and turning, as the combination can easily exceed the traction of their front contact patches. It is a worthwhile mental exercise to attempt to visualize this: if you're already using 100% of your available traction to stop, and you introduce additional demands on the available traction, by applying lateral g's (i.e., by turning) there can be only one result: a loss of traction. Most likely understeer (front wheels turned, but sliding straight ahead). NOT where you want to be on a curved, icy bridge.

Oh...and not to sound like a broken record, but most of my years of winter driving have been with studded rears, which do provide increased braking authority over non-studs, not to mention helping to curb oversteer (where the rear tries to pass the front). Not having studs would require even more caution, obviously. In fact, this winter, with my F-250 4x4, will be my first year without studs in 20-plus years.

Hope this helps. And to anyone who finds fault with my attempt to help the OP, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly, but I've been driving on the frozen highways in the Northcountry, near Canada, for 30 years. YMMV.

Big Six

Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in truck driving school in salt lake city, they taught us to "float" bridges. simply means to have enuff momentum to carry you over the bridge, while taking your big fat foot off the accelerator. take your foot off that gas pedal!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by BigSix1

As you no doubt already know, most bridges freeze faster than the attached roadways, as the air under the bridge is usually colder than Mother Earth, under the roadways.

Curved bridges are definitely worse, as they require greater steering authority (traction) to negotiate than simply running in a straight line, with ZERO "lateral g-forces."

Do ALL of your slowing down before you enter the bridge--ESPECIALLY on a curved bridge. Hitting the brakes while on a curved, icy bridge is an excellent way to:

a) make the evening news, and
b) be home late for dinner--if you're lucky.

It might help you to imagine that the curved bridge is really a curved section, marked out by cones, on a frozen pond.

Can you "shoot the cones" at 60 mph, in a CURVE, on a frozen pond, and not hit any? Are you SURE? Then that's how fast you can do it on an icy bridge. Most people without Scandinavian last names (or French ones, like WRC-champion Sebastian Loeb) would not reliably be able to "drift" a pickup truck, at 60 mph, ON ICE, in a curve, and guarantee being able to stay within the cones. And instead of merely hitting a cone if you miscalculate, bridges usually have a nice drop-off on both sides....

So...less than 60mph, would be my suggestion.

As a general rule, consider dropping at least 10-20mph off of your winter road speed, for the bridge. MORE if it's a curved bridge. EVEN more if there's other vehicles around.

Oh--and be sure you "telegraph" your attention to slow down, for the bridge, to the people tailgating you, by tapping your brakes just enough to light your brake lights, before you actually start slowing down. They may be "texting" or playing with their Ipod, and not even aware that a bridge is coming up, and thus not ready when you actually do start slowing down, in advance of crossing the bridge.

Again, I seriously suggest you go no faster than you want to crash at. The ice is much slipperier than packed snow, which can be sometimes be negotiated at highway speeds, if no one is nearby, on a limited-access highway, and the road is straight.

I find it helpful to do "brake tests," occasionally, as the temps drop, to see how slippery it's getting, by braking carefully (when no vehicles are anywhere near me). Of course, that just tests the roadway--again, you must assume the bridge is frozen.

If you can find a frozen parking lot, to practice on, that may be beneficial to you, but scope one out NOW, so you know where the storm drains/potholes are, so you don't eff up your suspension, by hooking a storm drain while sliding sideways.

If you're lucky enough to find a flooded/then frozen parking lot, definitely spend some time finding out how useless your brakes are on pure ice, and how "tail happy" your truck may get when turning and braking at the same time.

Another general rule: Do your braking in while headed straight ahead.

Many road racers try not to combine braking and turning, as the combination can easily exceed the traction of their front contact patches. It is a worthwhile mental exercise to attempt to visualize this: if you're already using 100% of your available traction to stop, and you introduce additional demands on the available traction, by applying lateral g's (i.e., by turning) there can be only one result: a loss of traction. Most likely understeer (front wheels turned, but sliding straight ahead). NOT where you want to be on a curved, icy bridge.

Oh...and not to sound like a broken record, but most of my years of winter driving have been with studded rears, which do provide increased braking authority over non-studs, not to mention helping to curb oversteer (where the rear tries to pass the front). Not having studs would require even more caution, obviously. In fact, this winter, with my F-250 4x4, will be my first year without studs in 20-plus years.

Hope this helps. And to anyone who finds fault with my attempt to help the OP, perhaps I didn't explain myself properly, but I've been driving on the frozen highways in the Northcountry, near Canada, for 30 years. YMMV.

Big Six
Hey BigSix, thanks a lot for writing all that - what did that take you, 25 minutes?

Seriously though that's a huge help. I really appreciate it. The more I learn about Ice and how to handle it I become even more nervous. I'm starting to wish I had a winter beater. lol

Originally Posted by greyghost85
in truck driving school in salt lake city, they taught us to "float" bridges. simply means to have enuff momentum to carry you over the bridge, while taking your big fat foot off the accelerator. take your foot off that gas pedal!
Hey, that's a really good way of putting it. Unfortnately for me I can't float over the bridges, my truck slows down too much.. But, I will try to float it as best as I can and not drive any faster than I'm willing to crach!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:20 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
btw, howz the girl you left behind?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:27 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
She decided her fiance was a better pick. I shouldn't have been messing with an engaged woman to start off with. *cough*

Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
i bet you are way cooler

Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
haha thanks grey!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 PM
greyghost85
Postmaster
he probably drives a geo

Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 PM
ottawaguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't get it....why does everyone want traction?
Winter is a fun time behind the wheel......well, ..until you're looking at a folded hood

But seriously.....Big Six, that is very sound advice all around.
I have been driving for over 25 years now, occasionally for a living.
Put a lot of "ice time" in and I have seen crazy things happen on ice...
I have seen cars/trucks driving down a straight highway, when all of a suddenly the wheels just up and let go of the road. I have seen cars/trucks & rigs crashing helplessly into each other, closing the highway for more than a day....
Not everyone makes it out!!!
There are obviously things that can be done to improve traction like winter/ice rated tires, studded tires or just extra weight in box, but I think that at the end of the day, we all want to be sitting in our favorite chair relaxing in our own way.
Slow it down and make it home alive!

Back to the op's Q.....I just use the weight of my box and/or 2 bags of sand that I put in when I take tools out in addition to winter tires.
The tires are now law in Quebec from December 15 until March 15
A smart move in my opinion.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 PM
blueeyedfordguy
Elder User
yes, that is the exact trick I use all winter (which is when it would be nice to have a stickshift again, but oh well,) automatic or a stick shift, either way let your foot off the gas, and don't reliey on your antilock brakes to make you stop straight on the ice ever! The rear brakes in my opinion should be semi tight too. Not enough to lock up the rear tires. I will at slower speeds ingauge my truck in neutral to stop the small amount of momentum pushing me on the ice. If it is very slick it helps a little. There are many, many tricks I have learned for driving on ice. The MAJOR do's and don'ts of driving on pure and black ice. Wanna know how? Messing around on the ice in junk cars and trucks. When I would loose control I learned time after time how to regain it. That kinda thing. Just me I guess. Might make sence or not. Helps you not to panic when it happens for real!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 AM
87Mater
Senior User
i live in michigan it snows lol i also learnd how to drive with a rwd car with no rear breaks and a high idle. that was a fun year lol

i never had issues with traction (even with the 87 F-150) i am always more wouried a bought stopping or getting rear ended. i am not afraid to slow down and turn on my hazards of some one gets to close. i just drive 5-10mph under the posted limit and if the guy behind me gets upset i move over and laugh when i pass him later when he is in a ditch.

just do not drive like a tard and you should be fine i see more trucks end up in ditches then any thing elts

Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Ricache
Senior User
Originally Posted by Virto
My Great Aunt and Uncle are in Houston, so I hear about it when stuff gets interesting.

What's wrong with the wife's Volvo? They've made some damn good cars over the years.

You know Ford owns Volvo, right?
Volvo's are great vehicles. Ford does own the car division. I just don't like getting into it cuz it's so low to the ground. You get to that age where you don't stoop unless you have to....just love the ease of getting into trucks.

/Ricache

Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Ricache
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigSix1

A bunch is deleted for space.....

Big Six
Big Six - feel like I'm reading what my dad taught me (and I did remember) some 30 odd years ago. Teach your children well.

He did take me several times to a vacant parking lot that was ice/snow packed. We lived in Omaha when this schooling took place. I had plenty of practice back then. Ask the Alaska truckers - you can be an expert on ice/snow until the next accident takes place.....and no one can master mother nature.

I have been very fortunate with snow and ice issues due to what my father taught me. I will call him this evening and thank him.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

/Ricache

Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 AM
greyghost85
Postmaster
i was in wylie over the weekend....why didn't you wave?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Ricache
Senior User
i was in wylie over the weekend....why didn't you wave?
Sorry Ghost - thought you were another concerned citizen warning me about a speed trap...or I'd definitely have waved.

BTW - what is the universal "I'm with FTE" sign? I know bikers do the "low thumbs up".

/Ricache.

Quick Reply: Weight in-bed for Winter Traction