1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Accelerates By Itself!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 12:05 PM
AngieW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accelerates By Itself!!!

The dealership is still trying to say that it is driver error. I actually stepped on the gas and not the brake!!!!

Old 11-06-2001, 03:32 PM
Wooskie
New User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

AngieW-
I am still waiting for the diagnosis but I have to tell you what they said to me (are you ready for this?); they said I had the SAME foot on both pedals! It that not a hoot?
(Do you think they would say any of this to a guy?)

Old 11-06-2001, 05:02 PM
Boxter
Junior User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-Nov-01 AT 06:03 PM (EST)[/font][p]The funny thing about that is the spacing issue. I am a pretty big guy. I have a size 11 foot and I can fit my foot between the Gas and Brake pedals. I can only assume that being a woman, that your feet are smaller than mine (or you are a really big woman). So unless you drive with your feet turned at a 90 degree angle, I doubt that the explaination provided to you is correct.

Please keep us posted on what you find out. I have tried to get a flight recorder from my dealership (as well as Ford Customer Care Service) and have be turned down.

Old 11-06-2001, 06:21 PM
Wooskie
New User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

Boxter,
Thanks for the sympathy, you are right...my foot with a shoe on fits inbetween the brake and the gas pedal. I am a small woman (110lbs, size 8 shoe) and it is not possible for me to accidently push both pedals without 'noticing' it. To do it I have to put my foot horizontally across them. I am SURE that I am not driving around like that!

Old 11-06-2001, 09:26 PM
Wooskie
New User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

Ok guys, here is the latest and greatest:
Ford says that the 'flight recorder' did indeed capture an event where the RPM's went up but the accelerator was not touched. I figure this is a break-through! Now I am not some crazy chic that says her $43K vehicle has a mind of its own!
They were also sure that they pin-pointed the source of the trouble by replacing the 'output speed sensor' on the transmission. On my work order they printed it up as the 'TSS Sensor'.
I was delighted and went to pick up the vehicle today. I had a rental from Enterprise, who picks you up and drops you off, and so they dropped me off back at the Expedition. She parked in front of my car. I started the engine standing outside my vehicle to get the A/C pumping before I put the baby in, and the Expedition's chasis lunged forward (car still in park). It didn't move, but it sure did want too. You should have seen the eyes of the Enterprise Girl - she thought she was going to be run over.
Needless to say, a pushed the flight recorder button again (they left it in the vehicle at my request) and went back into the service area and gave them the keys and crawled back into my rental mini-van.
Sorry guys, still no fix, but maybe we are getting close!

Old 11-06-2001, 11:57 PM
Boxter
Junior User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

You got our hopes up! Well at least you are getting it do it. Got a question, how many miles are on your truck? I have about 18k miles (drove alot this past year, but just finished school, so that will help). I ahve had it happpen like maybe 10 times, so on average, I have seen it like once every 1800 miles (averages of course). What about you?

Keep the faith

Boxter

Old 11-07-2001, 01:35 PM
Wooskie
New User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

Boxter-
I have 12392 miles (bought it in Dec. '00). At the time of the fifth surge this past July I had 9586 miles on it. I didn't record the dates of the first two surges but the third surge was on 3/5, the fourth surge in April and the fifth surge on 7/16.
Since July the car has spent about 80 days in the shop. I got the car back on 9/20 with the flight recorder with right over 10K miles on it. It finally acted up on 10/26 with 12319.7 miles.
So to answer your question, I have had 6 surges in 12K miles or 10 months.

Old 11-07-2001, 01:44 PM
AngieW
New User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

You must remember me. I am the guy who drove into my house through the garage in reverse gear. I got my expedition back last week (12k Canadian) to make it look like new. We are still in the midst of house repairs (probably 20k+ Canadian). I keep awakening wondering what happened!!! Ford Dealer said they sent everything to Ford Canada and nil was found. My lease is up next month so I will say bye bye to the white expedition. I sincerely hope the new owner doesn't experience what I went through. Keep in touch!!

Old 11-22-2001, 08:35 AM
HeyYou
Freshman User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

>[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 26-Oct-01 AT
>11:01 PM (EST)[/font]
>
>Please do! I took mine to the shop almost 2 weeks ago yet
>again for this issue. I was even nice enough to tell them
>about the fix that was posted by HeyYou (the guy with the
>V-10).
>
>However, Ford has so far refused to put a new fuel vapor
>cannister on the vehicle as they cannot recreate the
>problem. And they have "already spent enough time and money
>on fixing a problem tha they cannot recreate". Oh, so that
>means that it does not happen, right Ford? It sounds to me
>that Ford thinks the cost for a vapor cannister (and any
>other part that might be the cause) is not worth the safety
>and well being of me and my family. I seem to remember the
>exact same thought process from Ford when Explorers were
>flipping all over our highways! (Can anyone sense the high
>level of "screw Ford" at this point?)
>
>Please keep us posted as to what was found. Yours may hold
>the answers to all of our problems.
>
>Boxter

Just checking back. I took us over two years to get our dealer to try the cannister fix. At the same time they downloaded all the transmission updates (no hard repairs) since ours came out. It took us over 3 years and 82000 miles to get them to do that. I did it by printing every similar complaint from every web-site I could find and taking them in. That's the problem with "Cannot Duplicate" problems. I guess the rollover problem never got solved because every tech came back from every test drive and never rolled once!!!

My wife claims the engine has raced on her still, but I haven't noticed it. It's been about three months. The transmission performs smoother when not under load, but it still is crappy pulling a trailer.

However, we may have found a fix. We got a GMC Yukon SLT fully loaded and it's like we have died and gone to heaven!!!

Old 12-10-2001, 10:21 PM
Boxter
Junior User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

Any updates from anyone on this?

For me, I have had the EXY Accelerate 2 times since my last report. However, the dealership has stop replacing parts and has given me the "Well, we cannot recreate the problem when we drive it. Will you take us for a spin and make it happen?" excuse. Yeah, cause I can control when and where it is going to happen. I am just that good!

I have even asked for a flight data recorder, but they tell me that they are not aware of any such device, and the computer would get any codes that were tbere (yeah I think that is true and there has not been a single code for this yet).

I am in the process of getting the vehicle replaced under the lemon law. Wait and see deal now.

Please keep us posted!!!!

Old 12-11-2001, 02:46 PM
Wooskie
New User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

For Boxter and Everyone Else-
I don't know where to begin...
You all know I got as far as having the Data Recoding Device installed in my '01. And low and behold, I managed to log an event that actually confirmed that the car took off on its own (no movement of the accelerator or attached components). The dealership replaced the part that I mentioned in my prior post. They felt confident that they fixed it (now the whole thing made sense to them and all of a sudden this was a probably thing where as before it was impossible). They were sure it was fixed but when I went to pick it up and started it, it lunged. I left the vehicle there...
Now for the rest of the story - we had submitted all the proper paperwork to a Lemon Law attorney and they thought we had such a good case that they submitted it (and forgot to call us). Anyway, after the last incident we decided to go ahead and sue. This process takes about 4 weeks before the Ford Attorneys get the paperwork (and you have the option of Ford Arbitration, which sounded more like a set-up since you are dealing with Ford people and not a third party). So we called the attorney and he said we were already 4 weeks into the suit so my husband went back to the dealership to tell them what happened and to see if they could do 'something' for us.
And I am horrified to say I have a BLUE MINI VAN, fully loaded, but none-the-less a mini van instead of my Expedition.
I am sorry to tell you but the Lemon Law really only DEFINES what your car is. I looked at the statics for the Lemon Law to decide in our favor, and it is really poor. Even if you win, best case is just having your loan paid off, some interest returned to you and all incidental costs you put into the vehicle (ie. TV, special hitch)also reimbursed. Then they charge you for the miles too. You won't come out ahead. Each lawyer has a special formula that he uses to decide what amount to sue for. It's not like a return. Your bank account isn't replenished to the 'pre-expedition' condition even if you have a bonified LEMON.
That was why we are in the Windstar now. We were about 10K upside down on the Exp. loan, it had 12K on it, bought it last Dec, and virtually haven't used it since July. The dealership 'gave' us the '01 van at invoice, and 'ate' 5K of our 10K problem and wished us well in the VAN. I was in tears for two days. I am almost embarrased to be in it.
The problem is we bought a Lemon and it is the consumers liability. We learned the hard way. Any other Dealership (Chevy, Olds, Lincoln, etc)all have Arbitration through the BBB which is pretty successful. Only Ford has it's own - wonder why?
I would have probably gone back into another Expedition (I had a '97 that was perfect, we bought the '01 just to update)but that wasn't going to be in their offer and I doubt it will happen to you.
If you are still interested in fixing yours, I can give you the name of the Service Tech and Manager that are VERY familiar with my vehicle and I think they would be happy to talk to you or your service people. There is a chance they fixed my car, but my husband and I were afraid to find out at the expense of a wreck and maybe injurying our 3 kids under 5 years of age. We bought the vehicle for its safety! How ironic - now I am in the safest Mini Van on the road.
Let me know if you need any other information. I hate that I couldn't solve the problem but we needed to move on.
Have a great Holiday Season!

Old 02-12-2002, 02:21 PM
Boxter
Junior User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

Well, I have finally gotten some where with this issue (well kinda).

Just a quick recap (if you don’t remember all the issues that I have had thus far). 2001 Ford Expy XLT. Bought 01-10-01. Has now 25k + miles. Have had tons of issues (go to this thread for all the details https://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/expedition/542.html ).

Ok, so I have been looking at the Lemon Law to see if I could get a new truck. In my state, you have to pass one of three tests to qualify. I passed all three tests. However, after doing alot of research I learned that just because I have a Lemon, I cannot get a new truck and be done with it.

First of all, Ford, only has to pay the ACV (Actual Cash Value) of the truck. I did a lease, and with all the fees, interest, etc. I would have to pay like $13,000 to get out. Ford was willing to do an equity swap (swap my truck for a new one). No change in monthly payment, same lease term, and lease does not start over. However, Ford cannot lose money on the deal, and since this is a new vehicle going out, hell, way not try and make some money on it. So I was told that due to the miles now, and the miles I used the vehicle prior to anything going on, difference in MSRP, yadda, yadda, yadda, I would have to pay $5,900! And that included a discount from Ford (nice guys they are).

Well, I am to close on a new house in a week and this being the first house, I do not have piles of money lying around.

I have been fighting this for 6 months now. I have seen every stall technique in the book used. But there is a happy ending to this story.

I finally called the guy at Ford and stated that I was tired of dinking around. This had gone on too long and it was only going to get worse as I had all the paperwork ready to go to make a claim with the state. And I would have to have all parties from the dealership there, and there was grounds that the $.40 per mile they were trying to stick me with was too high and yadda, yadda, yadda.

So, as it stands now, I am going to get a 5 yr, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty (no deductible), as well as a TV and VCR installed in the truck. As well they are going to pick up for any req maintenance that needs to be done up to this point. And of course the wash and vac.

I am not sure why, but the truck accelerating on its own has stopped. It had done it a couple of times since last repair, but since Ford was not able to recreate, nothing was done. But I have gone about 3 months with nothing. As for the horns, I am not sure what the issue is with that, but it is livable.

Sure I might have been able to fight my way through and got a new truck, but at what expense? After looking at it, it was just too much.

Wooskie, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I had a bull head and KNEW I was getting a new truck. Yeah, just did not turn out that way. So here ends the saga of my lemon truck. Now it is my truck that I can watch DVDs in (with a little modification).

Boxter

Old 11-04-2002, 08:43 PM
2hi4u2c
New User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

This has happen to my wife and I over 8 times.

Old 11-04-2002, 08:50 PM
2hi4u2c
New User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-Nov-02 AT 09:51 PM (EST)]

Old 11-05-2002, 02:42 AM
Rexster
New User
Accelerates By Itself!!!

Quick Reply: Accelerates By Itself!!!