Sponsored by: Moser

Need New Carb - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:44 PM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
get a Edelbrock carb and call it a day,

there are a number of reasons to get a Edelbrock carb, including no gaskets below the fuel level, thus no leaks, and the ability to change jets without spilling fuel, also Holley's will leak over time, if they are daily drivers, besides why risk a leak? just get a Edelbrock, think of all the dangers a leaking carb could pose, like a under hood fire, also a leaky carb is like a hole in your pocket, all the money is leaking out,

Then there is the tuning factor. The Edelbrock is more off-the-shelf tunable than the basic Holley carbs,

Also the Edelbrock is more daily driver friendly, as the Holley's tend to leak, and from my experience Holly is one lady you don't want in your truck, nothing but trouble from what i have seen, my Edelbrock was basically bolt on, very slight tuning needed, compared to a Holley,

i got a Edelbrock reman 600cfm Performer 4bbl electric choke carb on my Edelbrock performer intake on my 302w, so far it seems like a great carb, it starts every time, even in the dead cold of winter, and the high heat of the Summer,

also from what i can see on the side of my carb, it has WEBER on the side, and i read there the same as the Carter carbs as well,

-Brent

Old 08-14-2009, 03:10 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The one thing i don't like about Edelbrocks is what a PITA it is to adjust the floats.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:11 PM
ddh1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya, I've read quite a bit about the specs on these Demon carbs lately, and I think I will go with one of those next because they are looking really good. However, since I don't have total control on what happens to the truck, I'm working on rebuilding the Holley. Can't say how much it sucks. I'm really starting to hate gaskets. If it wasn't for them, it wouldn't be all that bad. I'm still thinking this carb is gonna give me problems considering its age and that it sat for so long, and if it does, I got a reason to get one of them Demon carbs. Until then, well, I guess I'll just deal with how much I'm hating these gaskets and just rebuild the Holley. Fun stuff, right?

Old 08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
ddh1
Senior User
As for the Edelbrocks, I've been hearing it go back and forth with good and not so good. I've driven the truck with the leaking Holley, quite a bit, haven't really had any problems except really bad gas mileage. But since I've already started the rebuild, and have the rebuild kit, it's gonna get done whether I like it or not. And if I do end up getting the Demon carb and don't like it for some reason, I will probably go to Edelbrock afterward. I really do like the fact that Edelbrock doesn't have any gaskets below the fuel level which is one thing that I really do like about them. But like I said, I'll just deal with the rebuild for now and see what happens. Thanks for all the info though. Definitely gave me some good insight on what I should do. Much appreciated.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:47 PM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
(i am just commenting in a joking tone, no harshness intended)

yeah well when the truck lights on fire due to a leaking Holley carb or any leaking carb for that matter, then Edelbrock will look like the better carb, no matter what people have said about them so far on here,

personally i have never heard a bad word about a Edelbrock carb, now Holley and others, don't get me started, leaking gaskets and every other problem you can think of, besides Holleys can be a pain to get just right when tuning, and someone will say, well you need too understand how to tune them, well i have seen more than my fair share of Holley setups and they all where a royal pain for there owners,

also if you go look it up Edelbrocks are in fact Weber carbs, and if you know anything about carbs the Weber carbs are legends, and are known for the easy tuning, which is what i found with mine, and quality

every one has there own favorite carb in the end, but so far Edelbrock is the best i have seen in the new carb market,

-Brent

Old 08-14-2009, 04:55 PM
1977f150xlt
Posting Guru
reman is a great way to go, and you can save some major change, mine was like brand new out of the box

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...43643/10002/-1

http://store.edelbrock.com/performer...nditioned.aspx

-Brent

Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1977f150xlt
also if you go look it up Edelbrocks are in fact Weber carbs, and if you know anything about carbs the Weber carbs are legends, and are known for the easy tuning, which is what i found with mine, and quality
The performer 1405/1406 is a Carter AFB square bore with a slightly different needle design (iirc, Carter's needles are stepped whereas the Edlebrock's are graduated) - Weber does have their name on these carbs, yes - the way it was explained to me (and my memory is a bit fuzzy on this - my anti-seizure/migraine meds have been playing with my memory lately), Carter bought the design from Weber and Edelbrock somehow got the rights to use the Carter/Weber design for the Performer - essentially, the carb has Weber/Carter/Edelbrock names associated with it but the design hasn't changed much...

One thing to remember about the Performer is that they are factory tuned for sea-level and, if run at high-altitudes, they will run rich however, it's easy to make adjustments to both the power and cruise modes by swapping out the needles, seats, and springs and all this can be done while the carb is in the vehicle - quick and easy - Edelbrock has kits with various needles, seats, and springs available but they're a bit pricey - I bought the kit for the 1405 on my Fury off Ebay - Rebuild kits are also pricey... I do not know if Carter parts can be used with these but I've always wanted to know...

There's also an off-road kit for these carbs that includes spring-loaded needles and seats that keep the fuel from draining out of the fuel bowl when the truck is on an incline - this kit was build mostly for Jeepers but I've heard of some racers using them as well...

Last edited by Furyus1; 08-14-2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 08-14-2009, 11:14 PM
ps2crazy29
5th Gear
Why don't you try Quickfuel technologies. They have some awesome carbs.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:59 PM
75F350
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Guys are raggin on the Holley and are speaking from experience with old technology. Keep in mind that the Demon in not a Holley. It is a Holley design that has been improved upon. There are several places where any carb can leak, and none above this. Weber, or the Carter can leak internally, in a few cases they form a vacuum leak, and are also lnown for problematic throttle blades. They just do not have the circuitry to make the power that a Holley or Holley design can make.
New technology and new style gaskets, billet metering plates, and upgraded materials help prevent this old time leaking problem. Guys complained about it in the 60's and it came to pass that if the carb got old, they leaked. It is a real simple fix, and super easy to maintian.
Interetsing word, "maintain". Any carb requires it, and all carbs require some tuning.
For those that believe that they can have an off the shelf carb work and it works just fine does not have it tuned properly I guarantee it. I would be willing to bet that a decent tuner could find gains in anyones set up. I am not a great tuner, but I can find more power and often have when others cant.
The Hollet design is and can be tempermental, but this has rewards. Some carbs are more forgiving and can have a wider range of calibration that probably better suits the owner that does not like to fiddle to gain that extra performance.
How many of use check the air in our tires? Hopefully all of us right? They leak right? If not maintained thay can be the cause of a wreck? Sure they can. I mean really. The Holley is not the leaky mess that everyone makes it out to be.
Leaks? The Demon and even newer Holleys, and about every single design made all use newer technology and I dont see to many leaks. Heak, A few of my engines only run a few times a year, and I dont have leaks.
Jet changes? You want to change jets without removing the bowl? The aftermarket has this covered for the Holley.
Power valve blowing out? Baseplate design has been changed to prevent this. No longer a problem.
Driveability? I run Demons on a daily basis, and can get plenty of mileage out of them After all the carb is just a mixer. It mixes air / fuel for the cylinders. Poor mileage is more from improper tune, and a poor booster signal, or improper components creating a slow air situation thus providing a poor booster signal and a very inefficient blend of air and fuel.

Ever wonder what top engine builders and race crews in just about every category of V8 racing are using?
Hmmmm.
Without casting stones, the Eddy design has a very small fuel bowl and this often leads to fuel starvation when used in larger displacement V8's at higher rpm. This small bowl also heats up, and can promote the fuel to boil. This is a problem that the larger bowls of the Holley / design does not have.
Guess this is "the great debate" right? At least one of them, lol.

Its all about the fine tune. Get the mix right and you will feel more power than one can imagine from the same engine, and still maintain a very high caliber of reliability.

I just cant see where the Holley gets such a bad deal. I have yet to find one that I cant make work. Eddy's frusterate me because they dont allow me the tunability I am looking for to reach the full power potential at any throttle position. I know with a Demon, I can have optimum power, and maintian, reliability and mileage.
Its why I run the Demons. (Demons are not Holleys BTW)

Old 08-15-2009, 12:14 AM
ford141
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1977f150xlt
reman is a great way to go, and you can save some major change, mine was like brand new out of the box

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...43643/10002/-1

http://store.edelbrock.com/performer...nditioned.aspx

-Brent

I bought a reman Edelbrock 750 for my 460, ran like crap right out of the box. Bad miss at idle, had to run the idle up high to get it to run at all at idle, tried all of the tuning ideas that Edlebrock had on their website, still ran like crap. Swapped it out for a used Edelbrock 750 my buddy gave me, ran great for about 3 weeks until it started running like crap down low, stumbling off idle, blowing black smoke, etc. Truck is sitting while I save for a Demon...

Old 08-15-2009, 01:37 AM
fordtrucknut
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holley and Edelbrock

I've run Both...My Holley was GREAT!!! I changed the jets right from new...put re-useable bowl gaskets on it....and was good to go....has only given me 2 problems in 20 years....one time the needle and seat stuck...thumped on it with a screwdriver...never been another problem since...i ended up retiring it from letting it sit too long and it got gummed up with old gas...otherwise GREAT Crab...not the best for 4 wheeling...and only because i never did the upgrades!!!

Replaced it with a USED 750 cfm Edelbrock. So far no problems!!!