2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slick boat ramp - Tire help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the Firestone Destination A/T's, Good traction, very quite on the highway. Never have a problem pulling my 18ft plateboat out of the lake. (in 2wd). Seem to wear pretty good, 20K and not half worn yet.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Horse Doctor
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have launched at a number of other ramps since the incident and have had no problem, even when the ramp was very wet due to lots of boats pulling out.

Maybe it was the worn surface or the algae. Anyway, I have some traction mats that I will try the next time I go back to Lake Bastrop.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:39 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
I ramp an 18' bay boat with an XL&Hankooks too, and I have not had a problem, but algae is really tough to deal with. If you've got a fair coating under the drive tires, you're in trouble. I worked at this Octoberfest thing this afternoon and we ended up with torrential rain causing a major mud slick over grass on the way out up a mild grade and I could not do it. Finally I got way off to the side and backed myself out after about 10 different tries. Just too much truck weight and zero traction, plus sinking into 8" mud.
If I had a trailer, I'd still be there and not writing right now. What really burns me up is the place was loaded with 4x4 Silverados.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:18 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Nobody would pull you out, MisterDave? Man that's sick.. You know another Ford guy would have tried, even if his truck was only 2wd! haha!

I would have tried anywy! Then we'd both be stuck! Haha

Old 10-04-2009, 09:17 AM
MisterDave2
Elder User
I'm sure they would have helped me, but it never got to that. I was real easy through my tries so I never got deep, just couldn,t make the grade up. Nowhere to get any speed up either, just a PITA. If I had my 95 junker with the 33s that went to the boneward, I could have left them a trail to fix, hee-hee.Cheers!

Old 10-08-2009, 06:15 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
Another solution: you have a bass boat that I assume has at least a 150hp outboard? Just have someone stay in the boat and when you're ready to pull out, have them give er full throttle in the boat. gotta give you a little push to get started. Kidding! I vote for more weight in the rear of the truck bed. On my old boat trailer, I flipped the axle so the boat didnt need as much water to float, didnt have to back in as far. Easier to climb into too.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:20 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
On a trip to the lake several yrs ago, I was pulling my boat with my old '72 4 wheeler. 2 old guys in a brand new Dodge were stuck and the water was into their cab with the top of the camper barely showing out of the water. 4am and no tow truck. so I beached the boat, unhooked my trailer and back up to them. first try after cinching a 2" tow strap snapped it. 2nd try I had all 4 33's smoking on the pavement, and damn I pulled them out. The trailer had dropped off of a underwater ledge. I should have let them pay for the strap, but I said, no I had too much fun. Of course 2 guys sitting there in a Chev pickup gave me a thumbs up.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:04 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
You never know Bait, that just might provide a slight leverage providing there's enough water to keep the motor down. I will keep that in mind when my rig is about to hit the drink, might keep everything in daylight. And what ya mean you "flipped the axel"??

Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
He probably moved the axel on top of the leaf springs instead of on the bottom. This was the trailer sits lower allowing the boat to enter the water sooner, keeping the truck further away from the water and funk algae.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:34 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
Thanks, I'm already too low, but I could see how that could help some.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:57 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
heya guys, I hate to hi-jack a thread, but I have a question. I don't want to start a new thread just to ease my curiosity. my neighbor has a steep driveway that is rutted. there is a layer of gravel on top. in order for him to climb the hill in his chebby, he has to take a long run at it in reverse. I do the same, but I do know from experience I can back up it from a dead stop - but my tires spin the entire time. he told me his 4wd '90-some Toyota can climb the hill without spinning a tire in 2wd. I thought he was full of BS, until I seen him do it.

I'm just wondering why his Toyota could climb the hill in 2wd without spinning out when my truck can't even do it? I have a 4.11 gear and locker and we have the same size tires. It's nothing serious, I'm just honestly curious what the difference is here? Weight? His Toy is an ex-cab, so they should weigh pretty close..?

Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
MisterDave2
Elder User
I think just the weight 6. Same reason we're stuck on mud or algae in 2wd, just figure his Toyota is probably 1000 lbs less, the 90s are smaller. I don't really think this is a hijack either, it's basically all the same issue, weight vs traction using plain tires on a slippery surface.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:29 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MisterDave2
I think just the weight 6. Same reason we're stuck on mud or algae in 2wd, just figure his Toyota is probably 1000 lbs less, the 90s are smaller. I don't really think this is a hijack either, it's basically all the same issue, weight vs traction using plain tires on a slippery surface.
Hey Meester, thanks for your time

I don't know about that.. I wonder how much his Toy weighs? it's an ex-cab and mine is a single. I know it's a V6, albeit a tiny one. Something else I thought of, his truck is a manual and mine is an automatic. Even though my engine produces more grunt, he has the option of a Granny gear (correct me if I'm wrong). He has a metal tubing rack on his bed which helps put weight back there - I have a lighter bed than a normal F-150 bed. I guess he must be putting out more power in first gear or something, that's all I can figure. I just thought 2wd vs 2wd my truck would have out-performed his.

I was just curious.. I know my truck can do it too, but I spin the tires the whole way (they are mudders, his tires are all-terrains, which is better on gravvel?). I know his Toy sure impressed me! I always did like those old Toy trucks. They make a real nice sound too.

Okay, sorry for the distraction.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
Yep 6, no argument here. Sounds like a good explaination for sure. You're also more familiar with the details. Sure I think weight in the bed matters too, I just know I want to get a little better settled up before the winter because my old bomb went places the plows couldn't go, this is gonna' be different.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MisterDave2
Yep 6, no argument here. Sounds like a good explaination for sure. You're also more familiar with the details. Sure I think weight in the bed matters too, I just know I want to get a little better settled up before the winter because my old bomb went places the plows couldn't go, this is gonna' be different.
Heya again Meester

I just fount out today he had a bed full of firewood when he drove up the driveway. Makes me feel a little better about my ole' girl, lol.

Man I've been seeing everyone haul firewood lately. We've been having a lot of cool nights already. Like you, I need to get ready for winter.. This will be my first winter up north as an adult. I've never seen real snow before! lol

What was your "old bomb"??

Quick Reply: Slick boat ramp - Tire help