1997 f-250 460 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Hokiewheeler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 f-250 460 exhaust

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to put aftermarket exhaust on my f-250 since the stock stuff is in need of replacement anyway. I'm leaning toward one muffler with dual outlets. Exhaust shop here recommended 3" in dual 3" out Magnaflow. I think I want more aggressive sound than the Magnaflow gives but I've never heard it. Another shop pushes the Cherry Bomb line and is slightly cheaper. Does 3" in dual 3" out seem reasonable for a 460? How are magnaflows? Also, I need a new y pipe and pass. side manifold. I'm leaning toward going with headers but looks like Banks is my only option for a manual trans. Any other suggestions? I'm going to be swapping in a d60 too and I see most headers fit with either ttb or d60 but not both.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:31 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd just go with a single 3". I don't see the need for two tailpipes but if you want the look of two tailpipes a 3"In/Dual 2.5" out will work fine.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second that. The Magnaflow should sound pretty good, though you might want to consider our Wickedflow mufflers too. Bear River Converters - Wholesale distributors of catalytic converters

Cherry bombs are made by Imco, which has less than ideal quality. Most of their stuff looks like it was welded together by a two year old. They can sound pretty good though.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Hokiewheeler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I thought 3" in 2.5" out was more appropriate. I like the look of dual pipes. I hadn't really decided on what muffler I want but the 2 shops I talked to only deal in their one line. I was leaning toward the Hooker Aerochamber initially. My brother has the Cherry Bomb Vortecs which don't sound bad on his Dodge. I read some posts on here that said the Magnaflow robs low end torque. I don't know that it'll matter much with that big stocker cat in there. Maybe I'll just pick up a Thrush from the parts store and have them throw it on. Haha.