Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? about A.R.E. shells & bedrugs

Old 10-20-2001, 10:37 AM
pilot10
More Turbo

Anyone have any experience with those shells with the full door in back- the one that replaces the tailgate(MX model). I'm looking for a shell for my new 01 f150, sc, reg side, sb. My previous truck, stolen 6 weeks ago, had a cab high Raven cap. Looked good but functionally wasn't quite there. The A.R.E. shell looks pretty cool down at the camper shell store. Is it worth the extra $$$?

Also anybody using the "bedrug" bed liner? How does it work? Is it holding up?

Thanks
Tim

Old 10-21-2001, 12:50 PM
gr8builder
New User

I have an A.R.E. lid, not what your looking for I know but as far as quality goes it's great. I put a bedrug in my 2001 supercrew last Feb and LOVE IT. Wouldn't own a truck without one. (unless I hauled rock salt or something)

Old 10-21-2001, 02:15 PM
nitro94
Posting Guru

No problem with my bedrug.

2000 XLT Flare Supercab Sport 5.4-Auto-355LS-Tow pkg-Bedrug-Xtang Tonneau

Old 10-22-2001, 09:14 AM
pilot10
More Turbo

Thanks for the input. I'm going to get the bedrug soon. As far As the shell goes I think I'll go with The ARE but I'm undecided on the rear door set-up. It's an extra $659!!! I'm not sure I can convince my wife w/o any testimonials. She already let me upgrade from XLT to Lariat w/o too much of a fight. But hey who knows.

Old 12-14-2001, 09:08 PM
Twinbulls
Senior User

I have the ARE DCU cap with tool boxes on each side and ladder racks,I still have my tailgate,as for the cap it is made heavy duty w/aluminum Structure But the walls are made w/.030 or .040 aluminum skin and dent very easy.They should add a skin on the inside of the unit to protect it from moving or shifting loads that go BANG then dent the skin. I have a few dents from the inside and a one from the outside. Silly little dents but For $1600 I want it to fight harder to resist those dents and dings.

I did have a steel cap that lasted for over 14 years and fought very hard,had only 1 dent but got cancer.But it was very heavy as the ARE DCU is very light.

The only thing I would do is add a skin on the inside walls as soon as I got it.To late now for this one.
I use this truck for work everyday, heavy duty work!!
I dont see the cap wearing out just looking beat up,I do take care of my trucks.As my other Ford F-250 went 14 years and 327k miles.
Just think how you are going to use it.
Good luck
Tim