6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Beta 6.0 Spartan Phalanx

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:31 AM
OneTon4Fun
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does Spartan have a price in mind when they release to the public?

Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 AM
KRDiesel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Around a grand is the rumor.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:41 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob.D
Tex, when you set up alarm peramiters will they still function if the guage is not being displayed on the unit? If I had a high limit of 1200 degree's F for EGT's yet I was not displaying EGT's on the screen would it still alarm?
You know that is a very good question. I'll try to set that up with my EOT gauge(something really really really low) and take it off the display and then see if there is a warning. I'm a little hesitant as to rather or not that it will work, but I will try that.

Also does anyone have plans on utilizing the GPS capabilities of this unit?
Not I as I already have a pioneer nav system in hand so I won't need to download that.

Any MPG inprovements over SCT tuning?
As of right now it's in the tenths of improvement, but I haven't really been able to do more highway testing since early part of december. Mainly it's been unloaded(or slightly loaded) city driving.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by KRDiesel
Around a grand is the rumor.
That is almost right as far as what Matt was telling me. I really can't go into more detail then that as Matt has the final say. I can tell you this that if your in the market for most of the others that have digital monitors and a tuner, this should be competively priced for those(I'll have to double check but I think it might even be cheaper then a couple of them), but like I said I really can't go into to much of that as of yet.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 AM
fordmustangfan67
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Tex, now that its after the first did you ever get the new tunes that Matt was talking about earlier. If so what are they and what are they like? Also have you heard any more about when the rest of the betas are supposed to be released yet? I would ask Matt but I'm sure he is tired of hearing that all the time.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Tex, when you set up alarm peramiters will they still function if the guage is not being displayed on the unit? If I had a high limit of 1200 degree's F for EGT's yet I was not displaying EGT's on the screen would it still alarm?

It won't work. I had used the EOT gauge and I had set it to the pathetic high temp warning of 130(I wanted to make sure I hit that mark when I went to town today) and then I put it off the screen and it did not sound of the alarm and when I switched it back up with normal high temp warnings it was reading 197, so it does not work doing that. In fact, I had noticed that all the settings that I had done to do this little test were wipt out when I put it back up on the monitor and I had to redo it with regard to the EOT settings. So bottomline is that you have to have it being displayed in order for warnings to go off. I have to run back into town, so I'll set EOT low again just to see what kind of warnings it gives and report back(I don't know why I didn't think of doing this sooner).

Originally Posted by fordmustangfan67
Hey Tex, now that its after the first did you ever get the new tunes that Matt was talking about earlier.
The tranny portion is going to have to be re-worked because I'm getting a Suncoast re-build kit coming in on Tuesday and having it installed on Wednesday, so he is going to have to re-work my tow tune especially due to how the thing is going to shift now. He is going to have to make it like stock. He wouldn't normally have to do this, but it's because I'm hauling live cargo(horses) and I'm such a high maintance customer that he is having to go thru this.

Originally Posted by fordmustangfan67
Also have you heard any more about when the rest of the betas are supposed to be released yet? I would ask Matt but I'm sure he is tired of hearing that all the time.
I have not, but he wanted me to call him Monday, so I'll will "try"(at my age, I can't always remember) and see what I can when I call with regard to that. It was hectic on his end though, apparently, he is regretting taking a 2 wk vacation for Christmas and New Year's because it's been triple the headache for him since he did that.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Is your tranny going out or are you just upgrading to upgrade? I just had mine rebuilt this week because it was worn out, I just had a heavy duty torque converter and a shift kit installed while it was out of the truck. So far I enjoy the way it shifts now after driving it for a couple hours.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:04 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Is your tranny going out or are you just upgrading to upgrade? I just had mine rebuilt this week because it was worn out, I just had a heavy duty torque converter and a shift kit installed while it was out of the truck. So far I enjoy the way it shifts now after driving it for a couple hours.
2-3 seem to be a little off. A friend of mine had mentioned it seemed off to him in Oct., but I couldn't feel it and now I'm starting to feel something going. Tranny is still holding up remarkably well and the shifting is decent if I roll into it, but if I do a hard launch, that shift just doesn't want to work right.

This is also for me mentally incase both my friend and myself are wrong about it(neither one of use are certified mech. just do our own stuff really) and the tranny I had with the 7.3 went out on me long before my mileage that I have now and I didn't have near the power that I do, so I was actually planning on this being an issue especially when my first foray into the world of tuners was with the Bullydog.

Long story short(too late right) it's a little bit of both really. It seems to me like it's starting to play out, but it's still fairly strong, but I might as well do it and get it done stronger. Last thing I'm waiting for is the intercooler to go and then my truck should be totally bullitproof by then(hoping anyway).

Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Thats good, my tranny just went funky on Christmas eve, started shaking when I put it into reverse then started missing shifts and dropping gears randomly, I still don't know what it's going to cost me though which is kinda scary.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:15 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Thats good, my tranny just went funky on Christmas eve, started shaking when I put it into reverse then started missing shifts and dropping gears randomly, I still don't know what it's going to cost me though which is kinda scary.
Who is doing the install?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

My old mans buddy, I've already got the truck back but we haven't talked price yet, he'll give me a sweet deal but I just don't know what a rebuild for one of these costs at all. The only draw back is that I don't get the North American tranny warranty, but if it craps out quick he'd fix it for nothing.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:57 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
My old mans buddy, I've already got the truck back but we haven't talked price yet, he'll give me a sweet deal but I just don't know what a rebuild for one of these costs at all. The only draw back is that I don't get the North American tranny warranty, but if it craps out quick he'd fix it for nothing.

Converter is the meat and potatoes of it as far as price goes, so that is going to be the high dollar piece. I already know what this is going to cost me and I'm glad that I planned ahead for it otherwise I would be feeling sick right about now.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:12 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Yeah, probably what this is going to do for me is eat my tire budget for this year, so my 20's will have to wait another year.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Blaster7Romeo
Senior User
Also does anyone have plans on utilizing the GPS capabilities of this unit?
There is talk over on Spartans forum about getting a group buy together for the GPS add on

Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Originally Posted by Blaster7Romeo
There is talk over on Spartans forum about getting a group buy together for the GPS add on

I read that, but it sounded like you could get it cheaper if you ordered it that way to begin with. I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 350 that bounces around between vehicles. I just don't want a bunch of stuff suction cuped to my windshield. Wondering how the GPS function works along with monitoring guages on the dashdaq?

Quick Reply: Beta 6.0 Spartan Phalanx