1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

OIL PUMP LEAKING

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 09:45 AM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OIL PUMP LEAKING

Recently took my truck out and drove over 70 miles. Yesterday, I saw a huge puddle of oil. Checked the oil and I was down a quart and half. Before I went on my little jaunt I had checked the oil and it was full. So, are there any secrets to keep the oil pump from leaking?

I have a 1960 Galaxie 292, put in by the previous owner, I just rebuilt it.

Old 05-08-2023, 10:17 PM
Kevin Felton
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is not an oil pump leak. The oil pump is entirely within the oil pan. Try to locate the leak. If it is in the back of the engine, it is probably the rear main seal. If you are really lucky, it is near the oil filter, or just around the oil pan. Everything is fixable, just takes time, money and effort.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:47 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 521 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by mgerdau
Recently took my truck out and drove over 70 miles. Yesterday, I saw a huge puddle of oil. Checked the oil and I was down a quart and half. Before I went on my little jaunt I had checked the oil and it was full. So, are there any secrets to keep the oil pump from leaking?

I have a 1960 Galaxie 292, put in by the previous owner, I just rebuilt it.
There are several gaskets and "O" ring type seals on the pump and tube. You need to gunk it off and find out exactly where it's leaking. Could be something wasn't tightened up.

Originally Posted by Kevin Felton
That is not an oil pump leak. The oil pump is entirely within the oil pan. Try to locate the leak. If it is in the back of the engine, it is probably the rear main seal. If you are really lucky, it is near the oil filter, or just around the oil pan. Everything is fixable, just takes time, money and effort.
Not on a "Y" block.

Old 05-09-2023, 05:12 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 521 Likes on 414 Posts
1955 Ford Part 101: Repairing the Y Block Oil Pump (hotrodreverend.com)
Here is a video on repairing the pump in case you need it.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:46 PM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts
292 is an external oil pump. There is a gasket kit available for them. Also it could be the compression style fitting is how I would call it of the pickup tube that could be leaking and yes the o-ring is available for that as well

Old 05-09-2023, 01:50 PM
skidoorulz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts
292 is an external oil pump. There is a gasket kit available for them. Also it could be the compression style fitting is how I would call it of the pickup tube that could be leaking and yes the o-ring is available for that as well
Sorry for the same thing you replied Crop Duster for some reason your post didn't show before I responded.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:46 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Thank you, Kevin.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:47 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Thank you Crop Duster, I'll give that a watch.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:52 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Crop Duster, Yeah, I'm hoping its just something came loose.

But I was also hoping one of you geniuses might have perfected the external oil pump. Maybe, I'll get some PEX and SharkBite, just kidding

Need to get the Snow Plow all situated for our Summer, I think we'll have a Summer, before I turn my attention back to my 55 F350.

Thanks for the response and the link to the video.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:09 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
If you are certain the leak originates from the pump then you may only need to replace the gaskets and seals and ensure that all gasket and seal surfaces are good..

The oil pickup tube is sealed with a thick rubber ring, almost like a short section of hose. That can be overtighened, which deforms the tube and prevents a seal. This can cause a leak and could be accompanied by other symptoms of oil aeration, where pressure can be much lower than expected and behave erraticaly and possibly cause engine damage.
The tube should be perfectly cylindrical where it fits into the oil pump. If it is not, then the tube must be repaired or replaced.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:48 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Thank you, Charlie.
Ok, I haven't asked this question, but, I think I know the answer; will I have to re-prime the pump if I take it off and change all of the gaskets etc? Please, tell me no and that there is a secret way to re-prime the pump.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:33 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Lube the gears with oil during assembly and it should be fine. You can use an oil can to squirt oil in the pickup tube hole once the pump is mounted as the pump can hold a couple ounces in the free space within the pump.
No matter how you do it, it is wise to remove the distributor to turn the oil pump drive shaft with a drill to ensure that it pumps, before starting the engine.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-21-2023, 11:47 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemccraney
Lube the gears with oil during assembly and it should be fine. You can use an oil can to squirt oil in the pickup tube hole once the pump is mounted as the pump can hold a couple ounces in the free space within the pump.
No matter how you do it, it is wise to remove the distributor to turn the oil pump drive shaft with a drill to ensure that it pumps, before starting the engine.
If removing the distributor makes you a bit nervous - can I get it back in correctly, maybe you could remove the coil wire (preventing it from firing) and the sparkplugs (to reduce the strain on the starter) and, assuming you have a working oil pressure gauge, just turn the engine over with the starter and watch the gauge - hopefully building oil pressure.

BarnieTrk

Old 05-21-2023, 07:37 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Thanks barnie. Doesn't make me nervous, just more work I was hoping not to do. I have the shaft to prime the pump. So, I guess I'll plan a day to check the pump, maybe something is just loose. If I have to go deeper, I'll give everything a good going over, then pull out the distributor.

But your idea seems like a great trick.

Old 05-21-2023, 08:46 PM
Moonlightford
Mountain Pass
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
the 292 y block has an external oil pump. There are O rings galore in the installation. I bought a new pump and an oil pan gasket kit. It has all you need for about $125

Quick Reply: OIL PUMP LEAKING