Labor time estimates

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:26 PM
wyazel1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Labor time estimates

Any one here know if theres a place online where i can look up how much time shops charge to do certain jobs. I'm assuming theres a book most shops go by. I know what my shop charges per hour but I was wanting to look up an engine swap because i am considering having my engine builder install it mainly because I dont have adequate space and the neighbors prob wouldnt like it much they already hate my truck lol.

So if anyone knows where this info can be found online i'd appreciate it!! i found Mitchell which I think is what most shops use but you have to purchase it. Or if theres any mechanics on here that can look up labor time to do an engine swap in a 78 F150 4x4 400 C6.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:19 PM
wyazel1
Senior User
ok thanks, the engine builder is $75 an hour while most shops run $65 an hour. But I was thinking since they built it they may care a little more about the install and if something is screwed up they cant blame it on the builder since they built it. He told me 'whatever the book says' (not sure which book) is what they charge for labor but i didnt have him look up an engine swap. If the 'book' calls for 16 hours that would be $1200 at $75/hour. Surely it wouldn't be more than 16 hours would it?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 PM
wyazel1
Senior User
You drive to MO and i'll pay you $85 an hour and help you the whole time we could get it done in 16 hrs for sure. I will include all meals and a place to crash while we work also. You should drive back to TN with $1k, and I would get to learn a few things. I've never done an engine swap and wasnt sure if my shop crane will go high enough and i didnt wanna pull the front clip off.

The 16 hrs was just a guess, i have my old 351m in there still so thats to yank old one and install new.