The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

School vs Work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
School vs Work.

A buddy and I have been wondering:

How do people manage to work full time and go to school full time?

I couldn't afford school so i went to work, now i don't have time to go to school. How do you do it? I know there are people that have. I just can't comprehend it.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I knew a few kids who went to school and worked full time. those who were successful were great at time management, and had very little social (party) life

Old 09-18-2008, 03:52 PM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
Originally Posted by jake00
I knew a few kids who went to school and worked full time. those who were successful were great at time management, and had very little social (party) life
Yeah thats what I'm afraid of. If I loose the right to a little Jagermiester every once in a while (this Saturday ) I'll go insane.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
its easy,

get up at 7am

work to noon or 2pm (depending on what day it is),

school from 1 or 3pm to 5 pm,

work again from 6pm to 9 or 10 pm

home by 11 pm

in bed by midnight,

then start it all over again!

Usually I only work half day on saturday and off on sunday. And alot of the time I dont have to work after school.

I agree though, it is tiring. And I'm horrible at time management. but it can be done.

When i'm done with my Auto engineering degree I hope to be ASE master certified (certified in 2 areas allready, will take 2 more tests in 1 month)
have a solid 4 years as a mechanic under my belt, and then my degree in auto engineering

I think i'll be more prone to getting a job than someone who just lived under mommy and daddy's blanket of financial support and partied every other day.

I guess we'll see.

However its odd, I never really pictured myself being the type of person who would be seen as a hard worker, or someone who would be better qualified for something. But the more I work and go to school the more I can see myself becoming this person.

Every time I start to get overwhelmed and want to give up I just look at some of the people I know. One person has filed for bankruptcy twice, and is on his 3rd house.
The other seems to be able to manage his money better, but is obviously living paycheck to paycheck. They both have to tell the tool guys to wait until friday to cash their checks. That is the person I really dont want to be.

Sorry for the rant, but I guess you have to set some outragous goals. I always picture my girlfriend and I living out in the country w/horses and other animals. I would have a heated/a/c machine shed with a hoist, paint booth, and all the other tools that would go along with the setup. I also want to have a F250 or so with a big ol diesel in it, etc etc. I'm sure most of those goals wont be met, but if I wound up somewhere in the middle I would probably be happy for the rest of my life. And thats what really matters.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
rednekrailroader
Senior User
Monday through Friday I go to school from 7 am to 1:45 pm and then work second shift from 4 pm to 12:30 am. Of course, the fact that they are 45 miles apart doesn't really help any.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:38 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Find ya a decent girl then there is really no need for a "party" life.

I work 12 hours a day 3rd shift on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. I work 36 hours and get paid for 40. I'm study Information Technology, currently taking 5 classes. I got lucky though the 3 professors that will be teaching all of my courses until I'm finished allow us to study and turn in assignments online. So I spend 1-3 hours online after work studying and finishing my assignments for the week, although once every 2 or 3 weeks I'll have to show up on campus for a quiz or test.

So for the most part my weekends suck, work, sleep, and school not much time for anything else. But its all worth it when I've got 4 days free to hang out with my chick or just sit around and do whatever the hell I feel like doing.

That's how I juggle being a full time student who works full time, basically 3 days of hell followed by 4 days of fun.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Dean88
Postmaster
I'm a senior takin a full load of advanced classes (cal, trig, physics) from 8 to 3:30 then I work from 4-10, then I book it to the community college and take night classes from 10 to 12 on Monday and Wednesdays. It gets rough and yes, my social life sucks.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
That's probably what my problem is. I work 8a-5p.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 AM
aaronlockhart
Senior User
Class in the morning, work at night; coffee and red bull in the middle... sleep when your dead.... I know thats not possible but thats what it feels like sometimes... just keep pulling, something will give...