Iowa Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

my job.. warning lot of pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my job.. warning lot of pics

heres more pics of my job, this is the fun side of our shop. It's M&M Custom Finishes outside of Wellman, IA, we have many show winners and can do just about anything from a nice driver to a show stopper, restos to 'rods.

first off..the important ones...

Dupont/Hot Hues..use only THE BEST products for the best results.

sorry, some of these are off my phone too..that explains the low quality.
Steve Gruell's 39 Ford Coupe(1st project from him)

now we are doing his #s matching SS396 Chevelle, we just started on it..

Larry's 73 Mustang Mach 1, 351C/auto..pretty nice car..

Barry Grimm's 55 Chevy 210, by the way we soda-blast all the vehicles we do, so that we can guarantee our work from bare metal to beautiful clear..
before

after

a friend of mine Justin Murphy's 68 Chevelle Malibu(originally a 307 car, now has a 396, SS clone)

Bob Blum's *****'s Gasser, won a national award at the Gasser Nationals, draws a crowd where ever it goes, and has gotten us a lot of attention that we are very grateful for..

and another Mustang, a 70 Mach 1..we just did paint/body on this, the owner did the decals/interior/driveline/etc..

Chevy Coupe that we did paint/body on, the guy is one heck of a fabricator/builder for only having basic tools..

and we do tractors too haha..
International Model 826 'Demonstrator' before we got all the gold tins put on it..

Oliver Super 77

and a way old Case

I will get more as we finish or I upload more..let me know what you guys think, open to criticism whether it be constructive or destructive haha

Old 02-14-2010, 07:14 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks pretty good to me, but just curious what kind of pricetag some of these paint jobs end up with?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:39 AM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
it all depends...from a few thousand to one that we are doing now,and it will be around 25k, we have/had to make a bunch of patch panels, put new floors in, take off and send out a lot of stainless and chrome trim to be redone. Thats a 61 Buick Invicta 4door, I'll upload pictures of it later..she was a lil rough hahah.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have seen that *****'s gasser both at goodguys in DesMoines and was at the last race at Newton speedway last year. Was in the car show and then made a couple passes.

You do some good work

Wish I could afford to have my Galaxie done. body work is NOT my forte and I really have no business even trying it LOL. Probably will eventually have to have someone finish it up and paint it.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
yeah Bob did a couple passes at newton, he told us that they said 'you run too fast for no cage' but that car doesn't usually hook that well. We did his car's paint/body work in ~2 weeks.

rob you'd be suprised at how affordable we are compared to just about everybody else. if it doesn't need a ton of patches made, we can get it done pretty economically.

I'm excited for tomorrow as we are supposed to have a new project coming in, its a 1935Buick, the guy says its a 'Personal Limo' that we are doing the paint/body on. We have already done the grille shell, spare tire covers, and the 4pc hood(huge..its got a straight 8).

Old 02-16-2010, 06:24 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guess maybe I should have you take a look at it sometime and see. I know I would like to have it painted sometime. I did finally got it stripped down and shot with primer this year to get rid of the surface rust. And ti does need some body work but might be worth having it looked at.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
we got another project today..the 35 Buick Model 67 showed up at about 445. The guy says is one of 9 left, and its all original, being restored back to factory. Forgot my camera at work, so I'll get some pictures uploaded tomorrow, its a big car but its got really cool features like;

cruise control
vacuum assisted manual brakes
a vacuum switch that acts similar to a choke when the starter is engaged
friction shocks, i know standard then but I think they're cool
and just a lot of lil odds and ends, can't wait to get going on this project.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:33 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your just the guy i need to talk to. Im going to be restoring my 99 F-150 Ex cab. Bought it rolled over in 02 and bought a brand new cab from ford with all doors and fenders. Had it painted by B & B auto body near wayland, ia. Well now my hood is peeling off everywhere. Paint is flaking off of doors and im pretty sure my Rockers will need to be replaced. Bed is stepside so its fiberglass.

Also restoring a 1969 Grand Prix SJ right now and will be needing paint in the next year or 2.

Thanks
Im wanting to paint the entire truck and do anything i can for RP. Hopefully you guys can get me a quote and we can work something out for next winter.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:13 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
about all I can tell you to do is call our shop, its hard for me to do estimates cuz I'm not nearly as experienced as my boss is at it. he can look at a car and tell you almost exactly the time it will take,he's also been doing paint/body/restoration since I was born(22 years haha).

more than likely the peeling paint is lifting caused from the surface not being cleaned properly or using products that are not compatible, or they just did not prep the surface well enough..there is a bunch of causes to peeling paint, without seeing it, it is hard to say.

check out our website, it has the number on there,646-5267.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:27 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
here are some pictures of our current project, a 61 Buick Invicta 4 door, that was rooooouuuuugggghhhh..some before and progress pictures, we now have the doors/hood/trunk/cowl in primer, the floors replaced, and the metal work done, now its time to prime..
before sodablast:

after sodablast:

floors before(showing you the good section):

and after we replaced what we could.you cannot get full tubs for these:

current state:

and the newest project, 35 Buick Model 67, has an inline 8...pretty cool I think.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:42 PM
fiftyfourdf100
Senior User
here's an update, sorry it's been a while we've been pretty busy on the collision side...

Sylvester's 65 Dodge Polara 500, 426 Max Wedge clone with Cross Ram dual quads

here is just one of his garages, he has a bunch of cars, including an ORIGINAL DART HEMI LIGHTWEIGHT, fiberglass clip, pull up windows, A100 seats, and original Hemi..

Gruell's Chevelle SS(second car we've done for him) fresh out of the booth..

and Petrone's Model A Deluxe, supposedly one of 5 with this top, wheel color, and transmission(something about they switched clutches/bellhousings mid-year)

sorry for the crappy quality guys, these are off my blackberry, my dig. camera went MIA some night...

Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
What a cool job!
where in Iowa is the shop?
I am somewhat familiar with NE Iowa

Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
it is just SW of Iowa City a bit.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Wow! You must really like going to work. And it looks like you do good work. I was wondering where Barry Grimm's Chevy went to. I hadn't seen it in his shop.

Where are you from Duwa's Auction? Might have to stop in next time I'm down there. 'Course drool isn't good on paint....

Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Did you make it down to Duwa's last auction? I was there all day... didn't stay until the end though, just too long for me. He needs to break it into two days, just too big for one.

Quick Reply: my job.. warning lot of pics