N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Big V8's & Gas Prices/ Drill Here Drill Now

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know there is no animosity to me or each other that's why i hang out with you guys I'm sure this is something that has been burning in the back of every one's mind for a while i remember as a kid all the oil rigs off the coast in so cal and all over for that matter then one day while i was still playing with big wheels or racing bicycles they just went away so it seemed but then i didn't have a care in the world except for when the next trip to Disneyland was wasn't it great to be so young and care free?

Thanks
Earl W.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
wesFX4
Junior User
Electric car?

Do you guys know how much will your home bill go up to charge those batteries all night? Just wondering, still love the rumble of the V8.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:12 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by wesFX4
Do you guys know how much will your home bill go up to charge those batteries all night? Just wondering, still love the rumble of the V8.
Depends on where you live and if you can get a night-time rate on your power. The way you would find out is to guesstimate the amount of power you would need in kilowatts, and multiply that by your utility's rate.

My guess for the times I have calculated it is that it would be less than 1/10 of what gas would cost you.

I have a south-facing roof, and am looking into installing solar panels to generate power - I can generate enough power for my house and still sell enough power to PG&E for two other homes.

Total cost for everything I need is around $20K, and it will pay for itself in 15 years. The banks are willing to do the loan and I should be able to make the payments with the money PG&E will pay me.

The only problem I see is that PG&E will only make a 5 year commitment to buy the power and the loan is for 15 years.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 AM
wesFX4
Junior User
Thanks a lot, WillyB, it is something that we really need to make plans in the long run.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:09 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wesFX4
According to the Tesla website, it works out to about 2 cents per mile. If it can go 220 miles between charges, that is $4.40 cents per fill up. For the same number of miles in my Toyota Corolla (average 35mpg) I would need 6.3 gallons. At $4.50 per gallon that is $28.29. Even at $2.85 per gallon, that is $17.95. So, I am saving $13 to $24 per fill up for equivalent miles. That is a huge saving.

On the other hand, I can't compare a Toyota Corolla to a Tesla because my Toyo was $14.5k new and the Tesla is $110k. My Toyo will do 0-60 eventually, the Tesla will do it in under 4 seconds. They are apples and oranges as cars, but if I compare pure energy cost for both and all the other things being equal, the Tesla wins, but this scenario depends on electricity prices not rising due to demand.

Now there is a big but there. One of the reasons we are in this high gas price time is partially due to too much demand for oil (you can also blame it on speculation, taxes, lack of refining capacity, etc. as reasons for it.) If everyone started to use more electricity, I mean lots more, there may be supply shortages for that too and the cost will go up. So, if we want to go electric with many more things, we will need lots of cheaper electricity manufacturing systems than what we currently have. I think the easiest solution is nuclear power. It is clean (if there is not an accident), except for clean up at the end of the plant or fuels life. There is also the NIMBY principle of it. Not in my backyard.

As for the rumble sound, I agree 100%. Even hot four and six cylinder engines sound great as the approach redline.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:12 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fastmover
. . . . . . As for the rumble sound, I agree 100%. Even hot four and six cylinder engines sound great as the approach redline.
When I grew up only Ford had a V8 - the great flat head. GM was running its stovebolt six, and Chrysler had a dogie flathead six. Both companies were coming out with V8s, and Ford started the overhead y-block V8, but all the old hot rods were mostly Flathead Ford V8s. Now that was a sound that could get your blood boiling!

Old 06-28-2008, 02:53 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
Wow this is a great thread so much input by all. that is what makes this forum so good when you hit on a good subject everyone puts in and that is what we come here for.
thanks
Earl W.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:49 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
The gap between costs might be closer than Tesla's sight alludes to.

Ever look at your utility bill closely and how PGE (here anyways) starts raising cost when you go over your "baseline usage".

Here, without running AC or Heater, we always are into the 3rd or 4th surcharge for electricity.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:09 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
hey guys now that i have you all here just want to remind you guys of the cruise in at In & Out here is the link

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-the-meet.html

Thanks Earl W.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:19 PM
bigearl1369
Senior User
Hey ***** Whom Hi Jacked you? lol
Earl W.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:01 PM
wesFX4
Junior User
Fastmover,
Sounds good, but when you have a long haul, it will take me 6 days to get to TX, just on food and hotels would not be any savings at all. Don't think gas stations would let you re-charge for free.
Even out here if you go left Walmart is 90miles or right 110 miles barely makes it back on one load. We'll continue checking on them anyhow.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Shortbed
Freshman User
Have we already forgotten that the American oil companies are making record profits?…clearly they have figured out a way to purchase their oil from overseas at a low enough price that they can make a killer profit from it, and still rake you over the coals at the pump. This is nothing but a last ditch effort to sucker the public into letting some of the biggest companies in the world make even more money. I don’t think for a single second that the price of gas at the pumps will go down if they get the approval to drill in the currently protected sites.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Originally Posted by WillyB
Depends on where you live and if you can get a night-time rate on your power. The way you would find out is to guesstimate the amount of power you would need in kilowatts, and multiply that by your utility's rate.

My guess for the times I have calculated it is that it would be less than 1/10 of what gas would cost you.

I have a south-facing roof, and am looking into installing solar panels to generate power - I can generate enough power for my house and still sell enough power to PG&E for two other homes.

Total cost for everything I need is around $20K, and it will pay for itself in 15 years. The banks are willing to do the loan and I should be able to make the payments with the money PG&E will pay me.

The only problem I see is that PG&E will only make a 5 year commitment to buy the power and the loan is for 15 years.

??? I was told that PG & E won't buy back power anymore. That's what I was going to do as well. Funny thing, I start working for PG&E in the next week or two on the smart meter project. At least, my new boss was hinting I would work on that project. So, I'm going to get an education really quick. If PG&E buys back power ... even for 5 years..... I'll jump on it.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:29 AM
wesFX4
Junior User
Then just be happy to pay $10 a gallon, it is a business; all over the world the price is closer to $10 than $5. You should be glad that your EFIE doesn't run on printer ink or evian water.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:50 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mecinoid
??? I was told that PG & E won't buy back power anymore. . . . . . If PG&E buys back power ... even for 5 years..... I'll jump on it.
It gets real confusing - apparently they want to do a one time payment, but will do a monthly payment. However they do not want to pay you based on a measured amount of power, but what they think you will produce.

Check this out:
Performance-Based Incentives and New Incentive Levels Starting in 2007

The Official State Handbook:
http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov/...I_HANDBOOK.PDF

Quick Reply: Big V8's & Gas Prices/ Drill Here Drill Now