Gas in Oil -- Yikes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Decade
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas in Oil -- Yikes!

Well over the past couple of weeks I have been trying to track down my problems with low oil pressure...5-9 psi only, oil light coming on, etc. I have only started the engine up briefly a few times to check pressure. I finally had time to drain the oil in order to drop the pan when to my surprise...lots-o-gas in the oil. Now this does make it easier to clean up and I am sure it has helped to clean out some sludge, (just kidding). However, I clearly have a problem.

I am guessing, failed fuel pump.

I have a spare I will install. Any other suggestions on:
1. dealing with the mess that must be inside the engine;
2. checking the old fuel pump to confirm that it was leaking;
3. other causes (the intake manifold was reinstalled last summer with a new carb, no known problems);
4. Any other "kernels of wisdon"

Thanks, Jeff

Old 06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Just change your oil with some straight (cheap) 30wt oil and run it up to normal operating temp.....then change it again and use 15W40 DELO, Rotella, etc.

Spend the money and get a NEW pump (unless you KNOW that spare pump is good)

Also check your carb carefully. It could also be overflowing although not as likely. (you'd know it though....lot'sa black smoke!!)

You didn't hurt the engine probably. Aircraft engines in the "the old days" had a **** in the cockpit for oil dilution.

Although it was only used for shut-down in cold weather......The pilot would pump several squirts of fuel into the into the oil just prior to shutting down so the oil would be diluted for the next mornings cold temp start.

After start up the engine would be run long enough to evap the some of the gas out of the oil prior to take off. not all of it came out...... but it would all be out after the oil temp got up to normal running temp after an hour or so....

As long as you didn't heavily load the engine or lose oil pressure completely you probably didn't hurt anything.

Cheers,

Rick

Old 06-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Decade
New User
Done. New pump. New oil and filter. Now I am running 50 psi oil pressure with 10w40.
Thanks, Jeff

Old 06-09-2008, 01:32 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I don't want to start an oil thread but, 10w40 is not a really good oil for a Y-block....(according to Consumer reports in the 90's it wasn't a good oil for much anything else either)

Most would suggest either a diesel rated 15w40 or straight 30

Glad you found the problem!

Cheers,

Rick

Old 06-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Decade
New User
Thanks Rick. I was planning on changing the oil again very shortly anyway to verify that it was just the pump and not the carb. I will try either the diesel 15w40 or the straight 30w. Jeff