2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

syntec oil or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 PM
819jack
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
syntec oil or not

hey guy's I hear lot's of storys about syntec oils I would like to know what you think of this . I am at the moment debating if ishould go for it .When I bought the 05 xlt the dealer put sintec in it but after i went back to regular because of the price. Now I came across these guys AMSOIL 0-20w full syntec could last 25k miles.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not run a synthetic oil that far without doing an oil analysis to determine how long exactly you can go between changes. A lot will be determined by the driving you do. Is it all highway or in town or a combination. The analysis should be the determining factor on oil change intervals. All that said, my experience has been that synthetic oils don't generally last that long between changes. I'm not saying they can't, just don't generally.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Greg B. on this. From what I've read in articles by automotive engineers, the oil gets contaminates from unburnt fuel, water from condinsation etc. and because of that it still needs to be changed at regular intervels. So in my opinion, why spend the extra money.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
BII Plow Truck
Elder User
Originally Posted by Oldguy4
.....So in my opinion, why spend the extra money.
Ehh, because you bought a $40,000 truck! If you don't want to spend money to keep it up, you shouldn't have bought the truck.

Besides, it's NOT extra money when you factor in extended drain intervals, and less wear on your truck. It's a no brainer and proven over and over gain in independant lab tests. With modern ignition and fuel injection there's hardly any oil contanimation like there used to be with older inefficient engines.

Keep in mind Amsoil states "Up to 25,000 miles" and also states in severe conditions is 15,000 miles.....OR one year which ever come first. Everyone in North America falls into the severe catagory.....so even if you extend your drain interval from 3,000 miles with dino oil to 5,000 miles with Amsoil, you're ahead.

The $50 a year I spend on a synthetic change is worth the extra $20....for in 10 years that extra $200 won't rebuild my engine or tranny.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not saying anything bad about synthetic oils. I think they are good. But before I ran any extended oil change intervals with any kind of oil I would have an oil analysis done. You can have one done at 3000 miles, 6000 miles, and so on until the analysis tells you it's time to change oil. I run Motorcraft synthetic blend in my truck and the wife's Taurus. The oil gets changed at anywhere from 2000 mile intervals to 5000 mile intervals depending on conditions. In the winter we change oil a little more frequently because of a lot of idling. When I tow with the truck I'll change oil at 2000-3000 miles. Otherwise, 5000 mile intervals are good and probably a little more frequent than necessary. On my old 94 beater Taurus I run Castrol GTX and change oil at 3000 to 4000 intervals. 165,000 miles on the old girl and the engine is still good. It still goes along at the speed limit without any oil consumption and gets 24-28 mpg. I wish the body was as good as the drivetrain. Just get the analysis before pushing the intervals too far out so you don't have major engine problems. That way you know for certain you are safe.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by BII Plow Truck
Ehh, because you bought a $40,000 truck! If you don't want to spend money to keep it up, you shouldn't have bought the truck.
You don't need to pay for synthetic oil to "keep it up." ANY commercially available 5w-20 dino oil is sufficient.

Besides, it's NOT extra money when you factor in extended drain intervals, and less wear on your truck. It's a no brainer and proven over and over gain in independant lab tests. With modern ignition and fuel injection there's hardly any oil contanimation like there used to be with older inefficient engines.
I agree with you about cleaner running modern engines, but not so much about the reduced wear. Can you provide any evidence to support this claim?

Keep in mind Amsoil states "Up to 25,000 miles" and also states in severe conditions is 15,000 miles.....OR one year which ever come first. Everyone in North America falls into the severe catagory.....so even if you extend your drain interval from 3,000 miles with dino oil to 5,000 miles with Amsoil, you're ahead.
If you change your oil every 3,000 miles you're wasting oil! ANY modern SM rated oil can last far longer than 3,000 miles. Manufacturer specs on most modern cars suggest every 7,500 miles is just fine. I personally like to change every 5,000 miles or so with dino oil.

The $50 a year I spend on a synthetic change is worth the extra $20....for in 10 years that extra $200 won't rebuild my engine or tranny.
Find me one engine that failed after 150,000 miles because of lack of lubrication! There are many FTE members with well over 200,000 miles on hard worked modular V8s that have never seen synthetic oil!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:10 PM
819jack
Junior User
I hear both of you and you both have good arguments .what's picking my curiossity on this is a buddy of mine is running this Amsoil now for many years in his dodge ram diesel close to 300km replaces the oil once a year and no troubles . I also read the explanation from amsoil why they can go so long without oil changes compared to other brands they say there oil is not syntetised from petrolium base product . It is completly made from engeneered lubricants (from the lab )

Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 PM
GoSkins
New User
I've used castrol full synthetic for almost every mile on my f150, got 141k now. I change every 10 thou, but screw a new filter on after 5. But it's an 02 and I see now this is a 04-08 thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
The idea of running extended intervals is one area I will not argue against! It's a proven fact that modern synthetics can last a VERY long time in an engine.

Switching to synthetics for this reason makes sense. Switching to synthetics and still changing every 5,000 miles based on the myth that your engine will last longer with synthetic oil is a waste.

The benefit is longer oil change intervals, not necessarily better protection.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:25 AM
819jack
Junior User
If I go with regular oil I have to replace it once a month at 40$ cost 500 a year and if I use this amsoil at 80$ a year if it last that long or even change it twise a year I am still a head and a lot less waste for the enviroment .Everibody here seems to agree that syntetic oils are better.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Sounds like it would work well for you. Make SURE you get oil analyses done after 10,000 miles on that oil. Sounds like you do lots of highway driving, so it should be fine though.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:18 AM
1Aauto
Former Vendor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you take into account that the synthetic oil lasts twice as long as the cheap oil it's really the same price ans better stuff. I run Mobil 1 in all of my cars.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:03 PM
819jack
Junior User
Unhappy

yeah believe it or not 50/50 highway /city I wounder what does an oil analasis cost and how much work is involved for me .
another thing I read in most cases to go from oil to syntetic oil manufaturer sugest an oil flush but i also read night mare stories on the results but they wher mostly high milage engine . Some syntec oil companies state that there syn oil has a detergent that also helps in the cleaning of sludge and other deposits.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 819jack
I wounder what does an oil analasis cost and how much work is involved for me
See Blackstone Labs. Around $20 or so.

another thing I read in most cases to go from oil to syntetic oil manufaturer sugest an oil flush but i also read night mare stories on the results but they wher mostly high milage engine.
This is a MYTH! Flushing the oil will do nothing but lighten your wallet! Synthetic oil mixes just fine with what little dino oil is left after a change. Ever heard of a "synthetic blend?" Motorcraft oil is one of the oils known as a "synthetic blend" which is dino oil mixed with synthetic. They mix together just fine and there are no ill effects from doing so.

ome syntec oil companies state that there syn oil has a detergent that also helps in the cleaning of sludge and other deposits.
All oils have detergent additives. Supposedly this is one thing synthetics do better, but it's highly unlikely to harm anything. You could switch to synthetic at any point in your engine's lifespan without hurting anything.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
If I go with regular oil I have to replace it once a month.......
Holy moly, how many km's do you put on your truck a month?

Quick Reply: syntec oil or not