Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:19 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's how the ones for the bed are secured:

Old 07-16-2017, 07:18 PM
PDR60
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put a set of Fast Coolers on the F350 ZF5 yesterday. I bought her a couple of years ago and finally put enough miles on her to get to the fluid replacement interval of 60,000. You guys were right about the Mobile 1 ATF. She has never shifted as smooth as she does now. By the condition of the brown fluid I pulled I'm thinking I might need to switch to the severe duty maintenance schedule for the trans. The po told me he serviced the trans fluid before I bought it. Rollover is much much reduced now. I used Fel-pro 55380 gaskets($0.97 each from Summit) instead of rtv. I can't afford to leave the truck sitting for as long as that stuff takes to cure(24 hrs). Besides, gaskets for this install were a snap. Here is a pic of the install.

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by PDR60
I put a set of Fast Coolers on the F350 ZF5 yesterday. I bought her a couple of years ago and finally put enough miles on her to get to the fluid replacement interval of 60,000. You guys were right about the Mobile 1 ATF. She has never shifted as smooth as she does now. By the condition of the brown fluid I pulled I'm thinking I might need to switch to the severe duty maintenance schedule for the trans. The po told me he serviced the trans fluid before I bought it. Rollover is much much reduced now. I used Fel-pro 55380 gaskets($0.97 each from Summit) instead of rtv. I can't afford to leave the truck sitting for as long as that stuff takes to cure(24 hrs). Besides, gaskets for this install were a snap. Here is a pic of the install.
Do you have a temp sensor wired up for the ZF5? Would be interesting to see if you notice major temp differences when working it really hard.

I'm going to make the swap from the E4OD soon myself, and was wondering about a transmission cooler setup for the ZF5 as I'll be continuing to work this truck for many, many years to come!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:19 PM
animator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed a new flywheel, rear main seal, pilot bearing, slave, throwout bearing and 11" upgrade LUK clutch. Simple job.

Also completely removed the transmission and transfer case to clean and inspect. That was a bit more involved...

Attached Images    
Old 07-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by animator
Installed a new flywheel, rear main seal, pilot bearing, slave, throwout bearing and 11" upgrade LUK clutch. Simple job.

Also completely removed the transmission and transfer case to clean and inspect. That was a bit more involved...
I'll take them seeing as you've gone through the trouble and removed them

Oh wait, nvm, they won't fit.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:58 PM
PDR60
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Azryael
Do you have a temp sensor wired up for the ZF5? Would be interesting to see if you notice major temp differences when working it really hard.

I'm going to make the swap from the E4OD soon myself, and was wondering about a transmission cooler setup for the ZF5 as I'll be continuing to work this truck for many, many years to come!
Sensor will go in the at the next fluid change. I have a couple trucks of this series truck and the definite weak link is the E40D. I rebuilt the one in my 1994 150 and spent about $1700 in parts. Its pretty much got every upgrade it could take and a Sonnax valve body kit. It shifts like my old drag car and is holding up real well. I went to the max with it because I wanted to see what it could do. I think it would hold up pretty well behind the 7.3 but there's no substitute for the ZF.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by PDR60
Sensor will go in the at the next fluid change. I have a couple trucks of this series truck and the definite weak link is the E40D. I rebuilt the one in my 1994 150 and spent about $1700 in parts. Its pretty much got every upgrade it could take and a Sonnax valve body kit. It shifts like my old drag car and is holding up real well. I went to the max with it because I wanted to see what it could do. I think it would hold up pretty well behind the 7.3 but there's no substitute for the ZF.
Yeah, I'm trying to see if my buddy with a 5-speed 2WD truck wants to do a swap.

Though I really just want to get a ZF5 with a T-case for when I get a D60 for the front.

With all the hauling I've been doing, I've just been missing shifting my own gears for a better sense of control.

When I pulled a trailer from Florida to here in my Durango last spring, that damn slushbox never knew what gear it wanted to be in!

Old 07-17-2017, 01:58 AM
Laggy
Senior User
I want a zf so bad

Old 07-17-2017, 04:02 PM
CantAffordAToyota
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Laggy
I want a zf so bad
Same

__________________________________________________ _

Today, I fixed the clutch release on my 87 for the 100th time. It will probably break soon again anyway.

Also changed the thermostat and rad cap as well as new coolant as preventative maintenance.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:48 AM
Laggy
Senior User
Started to diagnose a sudden, very nasty misfire/ping/knock issue. Also chasing down memory codes
212 (Tach signal erratic)..probably my SPOUT wiring
334 (EVP Sensor Closed Voltage Higher Than Expected)

I went to check basics. Spark plug wires, all ohm'd fairly well. I had 6 NGK spark plugs, then one AC delco and one Bosch. Plugs all slightly brown, none were wet. Points looked good.
Ordered cap (MSD), rotor, plugs (Accel plugs) and wires (Ford performance 9mm) from Summit.
SPOUT jumper DOES audibly affect timing.
Rebuilding the haggard harness below. ICM plug and SPOUT plug. I happen to have the proper plug and crimp terminals for the SPOUT, as it's an FI plug basically. I bought the 6 pin harness, as i couldn't find the connector/terminals to build my own for love or money.
Name:  IOmSfjc.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  987.7 KB

Unplugged FI connectors one at a time. Each got a little change.
Back probed EGR, ohm'd the EVR. All seemed to check out. Went to start truck for EGR diag and all ran perfect. Strange. Regardless, i'm not running 3 different spark plugs in my vehicle. GTFOH.

Also, gonna run a fuel pressure test in the next few days. Check fuel pressure regulator for fuel seeping thru. Negative. Fuel pressure regulator diaphragm could be worn anyway.

TBC

Old 07-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Laggy
Senior User
Ended up taking out the 3" blocks that PO had installed in addition to factory 4". Still has a slight rake. Looks MUCH better. Discovered that I have a slightly bent lug bolt. I'll knock out and replace soon when I go through the rear drums.

Re-wired the ICM plug and SPOUT plug.

Tomorrow, tune-up bits arrive....

Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 AM
Laggy
Senior User
Old 07-23-2017, 11:51 PM
892504x4
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
Don't have pictures, But finally got the new exhaust in and it's a lot quieter now.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:42 AM
Laggy
Senior User
Got feeler gauges and wire gauges to gap my plugs. I have a Champion gauge that is garbage. It's about .010 off! Unreal. Gonna have to re-gap my wrangler and both my bikes. Now I can tackle my 15k valve adjustment on my Kawi zx6r.

So tomorrow, the f350 gets all new ignition bits, save the coil. I'm gonna do a fuel pressure test and possibly replace the fuel regulator regardless. Misfire issue should be gone. Might have to retest EGR.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Well, I took a hit today shortly after it started raining. I'd already been sitting completely stopped for close to half a minute, when I glanced up to my rear view mirror and saw a car fast approaching, nose down due to brakes locking up. Needless to say I braced myself for the impact.

Now for the photos:

I was very fortunate that my hitch cover took the entire impact. No dents or scratches on the bumper, and no sign of a tweaked frame.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?