Sponsored by: Moser

why no 6.2 engine yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeckedoutF150
last i heard was the 6.2L will be available sometime in 2009 or early 2010. the toyota is junk i would not look at that even, trans and cam shaft problems!! also talked to one guy the expireances a vibration everytime after he pulls a trailer, toyota fixed it 3 times and told him that he would have to pay for it next time, trailer is a 7,000 pound trailer and truck is rated at 10,300
20 0r 30 Camshafts is a very small number. The Tranny and TQ are the main issues along with the bed bounce and their cheaply built tailgate. Now Tundra owners are experiencing diesel sounding engines.

Ford on the other hand has poor underpowered engines and engine and tranny issues themselves. The only advantage Ford has is the exterior metal, tailgate and frame.

I wouldn't call the Tundra junk. They are just having some rushed to market, poorly designed first build issues.

Ford has been building trucks for much longer and they are still struggling big time with quality issues. I know this first hand.

There isn't a perfect truck out there.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by excaliber551
20 0r 30 Camshafts is a very small number. The Tranny and TQ are the main issues along with the bed bounce and their cheaply built tailgate. Now Tundra owners are experiencing diesel sounding engines.

Ford on the other hand has poor underpowered engines and engine and tranny issues themselves. The only advantage Ford has is the exterior metal, tailgate and frame.

I wouldn't call the Tundra junk. They are just having some rushed to market, poorly designed first build issues.

Ford has been building trucks for much longer and they are still struggling big time with quality issues. I know this first hand.

have you even seen the tundra tested aggainst the chevy and the ford, it does not look good for toyota, look at the silver creek test on youtube, the trucks frame is junk. plus when you buy it you send about, depending on the price onf the truck, $18,000 to $40,000 over to japan. 93% of the sticker price goes over there. toyota also continues to LOOSE quality big time. while ford is making ground. have you been under a rock latly??, consumer reports dont even recoment buying the tundra or the camry anymore. F150 scored higher and the ford fusion and mercury milan are higher in quality than the camry.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
have you even seen the tundra tested aggainst the chevy and the ford, it does not look good for toyota, look at the silver creek test on youtube, the trucks frame is junk. plus when you buy it you send about, depending on the price onf the truck, $18,000 to $40,000 over to japan. 93% of the sticker price goes over there. toyota also continues to LOOSE quality big time. while ford is making ground. have you been under a rock latly??, consumer reports dont even recoment buying the tundra or the camry anymore. F150 scored higher and the ford fusion and mercury milan are higher in quality than the camry.
Toyota's quality is definitely slipping but Ford's past quality has been way worse. Toyota has a better chance of improving their vehicles and getting back to the top that Ford has at staying there.

Toyota can afford to invest millions in research to improve their vehicles.
the Big 3 are lucky to even still be in business. Ford and Chevy keep laying off and losing money hand over fist.
All Ford has is the frame. That's it. I'll counter with where is Ford Built? Mexico?

Maybe if the big 3 built better vehicles they wouldn't lose so much money.

The Tundra is built here employing Americans. Those Ford vehicles only scored higher in initial customer satisfaction. Believe me, Ford initial satisfaction and longterm satisfaction are two different things.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:43 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

You keep spouting that moronic/ignorant 93% figure............you're 100% WRONG!!!

Keep quoting the Ford produced video as your crowning glory....it is also ignorant and self serving. (it's been explained to you numerous times concerning resonance.....you refuse to grasp it) The GM did not do well in that video and there was no Super Duty tested.

C/R rates 1 version of the Camry and 1 version of the Tundra "not recommended".....overall Toy has more cars as "recommended" than Ford.

The funny part about C/R is you probably think they were garbage when always praising Toy and knocking Ford.....now that they give 2 bad ratings to Toy, they are your gospel....

Old 03-18-2008, 12:47 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
They actualy did that...

And they actually did the dumb Toy ads................your point???

All advertising is sensationalized. To say one is more or less than another is just blinders at their best.

Fords ads are the most misleading IMO when they show a Screw or Scab and quote 3,000 pound payloads and 11,000 pound towing.....those models of trucks do NOT have those ratings.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dascro
Where have you heard this? I haven't heard anything believeable about the 6.2. I've heard rumors of everything from OHV to DOHC

I am 100% positive it is basically a mod motor with larger bore centers....

[QUOTE=dascro]
I've thought this for years. But doesn't GM use different body styles for the heavy duty line?[QUOTE=dascro]

If they do, it would be the new model truck........prior to '07, the bodies, interior etc.. were the same.

But I'll go out on a limb and say that GM still shares many parts in their truck line.

My understanding was that in the late 90's ford wanted to go with an aerodynamic look which they did. But that style would not allow the installation of the diesel, I think because it couldn't fit the big radiator? So they were forced to split the body styles. I think it worked pretty good then, but the marketplace was very different. Since the end of the aero style, 2004, they have been pushing brand recognition where all vehicles have to have a simliar grill and other styling hints. So we have 2 body styles trying to look like each other.

EXACTLY!!....

Now if you want to talk about a wasteful decision, what about GM making two brands GMC and Chevy, to sell identical vehicles. That is something I can not understand in todays economy.

I disagree.......my understanding is they go down the same assembly line.

The only difference is trim......even Ford has how many different trim/grill combinations??? I don't think it's that big a deal.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bookem15
keep the change you can go buy a couple of toyota trucks with it.

Thanks, man.

A better truck AND a cheaper price....

Old 03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster

You've softened your stance quite a bit and I've always agreed that there are a few "issues" concerning the 1st year Tundra.

But I assure you the sheet metal is no thinner and may be thicker than my Super Duty in the door areas (this does not include the tailgate which is a real screw up IMO)

I have not heard of any tranny issues.....there have been TC issues.

I 100% agree there is no perfect truck.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
dascro
Senior User
[QUOTE=DOHCmarauder]I am 100% positive it is basically a mod motor with larger bore centers....

[QUOTE=dascro]
I've thought this for years. But doesn't GM use different body styles for the heavy duty line?

If they do, it would be the new model truck........prior to '07, the bodies, interior etc.. were the same.

But I'll go out on a limb and say that GM still shares many parts in their truck line.

EXACTLY!!....

I disagree.......my understanding is they go down the same assembly line.

The only difference is trim......even Ford has how many different trim/grill combinations??? I don't think it's that big a deal.
Well I think GMC and Chevy are a mistake for GM for other reasons, but you may have a point with the manufacturing costs.

Are you sure Dodge and GM have the same body style in the 1/2 ton as the heavy duty? I was pretty sure they did something simliar to ford.

Where did you get this info about the 6.2 I have not been able to find any decent information on it?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:29 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
You've softened your stance quite a bit and I've always agreed that there are a few "issues" concerning the 1st year Tundra.

But I assure you the sheet metal is no thinner and may be thicker than my Super Duty in the door areas (this does not include the tailgate which is a real screw up IMO)

I have not heard of any tranny issues.....there have been TC issues.

I 100% agree there is no perfect truck.
How did I soften my stance?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
How did I soften my stance?

You were much more harsh when writing about the Tundra.....here and in other forums.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
dascro
Senior User
You were much more harsh when writing about the Tundra.....here and in other forums.
I disagree. I always thought he was, and still is, one of the more toyota bias people on this forum.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
[QUOTE=dascro][QUOTE=DOHCmarauder]I am 100% positive it is basically a mod motor with larger bore centers....

I've thought this for years. But doesn't GM use different body styles for the heavy duty line?

Well I think GMC and Chevy are a mistake for GM for other reasons, but you may have a point with the manufacturing costs.

Are you sure Dodge and GM have the same body style in the 1/2 ton as the heavy duty? I was pretty sure they did something simliar to ford.

Where did you get this info about the 6.2 I have not been able to find any decent information on it?

Again, I'm not 100% positive concerning current GM's......I am sure about the previous trucks sharing cabs/beds/etc...I don't know why they'd change now.

Dodge, as far as I know shares their cab across the line.....I will defer to anyone who knows different.

Trust me on the 6.2.....

Old 03-18-2008, 01:45 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
I disagree. I always thought he was, and still is, one of the more toyota bias people on this forum.

Correct, but he would end his posts with "But I wouldn't buy a new Tundra........"

Old 03-18-2008, 01:46 PM
excaliber551
Elder User
I'll have to look at my other posts. I'm sure if I said something different it was true.
Put it this way. I'm a long time Toyota owner and I wanted a Tundra until I saw them, drove them and heard about all the issues with them.
They were rushed to market and they cut just about every corner imagineable building them.
Final judgement on them will be when we see them last well past the warranty like all my other Toyota's have with very few problems.

The Tundra is still my first choice but until they put the quality back into the Toyota vehicles like I'm used to, I'll be watching from the sidelines.

Quick Reply: why no 6.2 engine yet?