Sponsored by: Moser

why no 6.2 engine yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
1. 310 ponies? where'd ya get that number...motortrend? If so...then that makes sense why you only need the top horsepower number.....Ford hasn't released hp numbers yet...so cool down a bit till they do....

2. Why is hp all that matters in a 150? Please explain why torque, gear ratios, build quality, and reliability aren't important.

3. Why didn't hp matter in 04, 05, 06, 07 or 08.....but suddenly is important in 09?

and the 6.2 just might not be done yet....ford doesn't want to rush it to market and have cam problems like the yotas......or tranny problems like the dodges.......or cam phaser, injector, spark plug problems like the Fords.

Fixed it for ya'.......

Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
well if you ask what the average guy buys....i'd look at the fact that ford, gmc, and chevy make up about 80 percent of the large truck market, and none of them have over 330 hp.....i'd say the average guy doesn't buy HP......which lends me to ask...what kind of guys do buy HP?

go ask a gm dealership what percentage of their trucks (1500) sell with a 6L vs a 5.3L.......a friend of mine who works at a chevy dealership says they sell approx 95% of the trucks with a 5.3L NOT the 6.0L ......

I'm fairly confident that ford has factored this in when deciding when and if to release a large displacement v8 for half tons.....when also keeping in mind theres now places in the country where gas is hitting 4 dollars a gallon.....

So is it none of them have over 330HP; or only 5%???

Is the same "friend" the one that told you about the Super Duty 5 star crash rating???

You don't ever stretch the truth to get your point across; do you???

[maybe a little???]

Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 AM
FX150
New User
The only good thing about these trucks f-150 is the look the interior desgine and the overall structure.

Engine, tranny and the electronics is BAD period!! good for about three years and it starts to knock, slip make all kind of noises...

they work fine if you just don't use them as trucks!

Sorry

Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
So is it none of them have over 330HP; or only 5%???

[maybe a little???]

well maybe not the best source of info...the only one i can find tonight is autozone which reports the % of vehicles that were manufactured with each engine each year.....

chevy in 06 had 1% of the trucks with a 6.0L and 7% in 07.....if you have better numbers why don't you share them....

Old 03-18-2008, 01:19 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
well maybe not the best source of info...the only one i can find tonight is autozone which reports the % of vehicles that were manufactured with each engine each year.....

chevy in 06 had 1% of the trucks with a 6.0L and 7% in 07.....if you have better numbers why don't you share them....

You may be 100% correct concerning 1/2 tons.

The bottom line is the 6.0 is available in 1/2 tons and I believe it's standard in the GM 3/4 tons.

A WAG would be that since the 6.0 is available in the "stronger" truck; why bother with it in a 1/2 ton?.

As I've stated numerous times; Ford does not even allow us to choose.

I loathe doing this for fear of the predicted accusations:

I'm certain the Tundra sells more 5.7's than 4.7's......

Old 03-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm confident you're right that toyota will sell more 5.7's than the 4.7's as the 4.7 isn't able to move itself out of the way...let alone carry a truck along with it... ford, chevy, and toyota all give you three engines to choose from.....how many more should we have to pick from before we decide its really just running the price of the trucks up for everyone.....if ford offers the engines it currently does....a 6.2L , the diesel everyone seems to have to have, and a v6 (as you remember people were griping about that going away) that would be 6 engine choices....is that really needed?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:56 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
I'm confident you're right that toyota will sell more 5.7's than the 4.7's as the 4.7 isn't able to move itself out of the way...let alone carry a truck along with it... ford, chevy, and toyota all give you three engines to choose from.....how many more should we have to pick from before we decide its really just running the price of the trucks up for everyone.....if ford offers the engines it currently does....a 6.2L , the diesel everyone seems to have to have, and a v6 (as you remember people were griping about that going away) that would be 6 engine choices....is that really needed?

Are you axing me; or is it rhetorical (sp)???

A base engine, mid engine and top engine are most certainly needed/warranted.

The 4.6 V8 is fine for a base motor......with a 6 speed and steep OD, it should get decent MPG during empty or light running.

The current 5.4 would work well as the middle motor, add a double OD 6 speed and I bet the highway mileage will improve greatly.

The sad part concerning the 5.4 is I believe it has the ABILITY to rival all current motors out there.....INCLUDING the Toy 5.7.....just not in its 2/3 valve anemic tunes.

I hope the 6.2L HurriBoss lives up to its hype.........using a SOHC 2 valve head gives me doubts though.

I am the wrong person to ask concerning the diesel.

The cost of admission, cost of fuel, no increase in payload or towing (in fact, I predict less max ratings since the 1/2 tons should have the same GVWR and CGVWR with a heavier motor) make little sense to achieve 5 MPG more.

So IMHO, 3 choices will suffice.........which ironically is the way it has usually been.

And to the question nobody asked........Ford did a very strange thing in '99 when they separated their truck lines. It was kinda cool since the Super Duty was big, tough and needed to be different than the somewhat "wimpier" 1/2 ton.

Now that the 150 cab, stance and whole personna has gone back to the macho truck look, it's my thought that Ford should consolidate body styles, like everyone else, whch would leave a lot more $$$ for powertrain R&D among other things.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 AM
bookem15
Senior User
HP for 4X4?????

Challenger I am not sure what school of thought taught you that HP is what is need for 4X4 but I will take the torque. As for the number of choices I will take as many as it takes to get either the 6.2 or the diesel into the 1/2 ton market for the 2009 - 2010 Ford F150's as then at least we will not have to listen to P.O.S yota buyers stick by that stupid commercial with the steel beams getting thrown at that truck and the HP it takes to get away from them saying how much HP their truck has. Toyota spends more money putting together those rediculous commercials than they did doing r&d for the rest of those less than decent trucks (politicaly correct). I would hope that Ford decided to make positive sure that the 6.2 Boss is going to hold up to the punishment before production starts I for one can wait till next year if I have to. just my .02

Old 03-18-2008, 03:01 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bookem15
Challenger I am not sure what school of thought taught you that HP is what is need for 4X4 but I will take the torque. As for the number of choices I will take as many as it takes to get either the 6.2 or the diesel into the 1/2 ton market for the 2009 - 2010 Ford F150's as then at least we will not have to listen to P.O.S yota buyers stick by that stupid commercial with the steel beams getting thrown at that truck and the HP it takes to get away from them saying how much HP their truck has. Toyota spends more money putting together those rediculous commercials than they did doing r&d for the rest of those less than decent trucks (politicaly correct). I would hope that Ford decided to make positive sure that the 6.2 Boss is going to hold up to the punishment before production starts I for one can wait till next year if I have to. just my .02

$.01.....and here's your change.

And dropping crap into your bed from a 'coptor, swinging a truck by its tow hooks, driving backwards through a slalom course are not ridiculous....

Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 AM
db_tanker
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love how these discussions get to the heart of the matter.

To the OP...if you wish to get something that has lots of horsepower and can really haul @$$ then you really shouldn't be looking at a truck.

To the rest who wish to troll and flame whenever you get a chance...I dunno...its humorous, but you folks take it a bit too far I think. My opinion of course. and I am sure that I will be getting flamed up for even saying this.

As for what I would like is a nice 2010 FX-4 with the 5.4 and the active displacement system they are talking about to help with a bit more economy when I drive back and forth from Houston to Austin.

I am sure that the 6.2 will be coming along soon though.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 AM
dascro
Senior User

I hope the 6.2L HurriBoss lives up to its hype.........using a SOHC 2 valve head gives me doubts though.

Where have you heard this? I haven't heard anything believeable about the 6.2. I've heard rumors of everything from OHV to DOHC

Now that the 150 cab, stance and whole personna has gone back to the macho truck look, it's my thought that Ford should consolidate body styles, like everyone else, whch would leave a lot more $$$ for powertrain R&D among other things.
I've thought this for years. But doesn't GM use different body styles for the heavy duty line?

My understanding was that in the late 90's ford wanted to go with an aerodynamic look which they did. But that style would not allow the installation of the diesel, I think because it couldn't fit the big radiator? So they were forced to split the body styles. I think it worked pretty good then, but the marketplace was very different. Since the end of the aero style, 2004, they have been pushing brand recognition where all vehicles have to have a simliar grill and other styling hints. So we have 2 body styles trying to look like each other. Even the ranger is styled to look like the others. So I think the point of the tough styling has long passed. I hope that they are using this revision to bring them closer then just merge them for the next revision.

Now if you want to talk about a wasteful decision, what about GM making two brands GMC and Chevy, to sell identical vehicles. That is something I can not understand in todays economy.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 AM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru

And dropping crap into your bed from a 'coptor, swinging a truck by its tow hooks, driving backwards through a slalom course are not ridiculous....

They actualy did that...

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM
DeckedoutF150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Challenger08
yep, i will be looking at both the yotas and the 09 Dodge Ram when they come out

last i heard was the 6.2L will be available sometime in 2009 or early 2010. the toyota is junk i would not look at that even, trans and cam shaft problems!! also talked to one guy the expireances a vibration everytime after he pulls a trailer, toyota fixed it 3 times and told him that he would have to pay for it next time, trailer is a 7,000 pound trailer and truck is rated at 10,300

Old 03-18-2008, 11:22 AM
bookem15
Senior User
keep the change you can go buy a couple of toyota trucks with it.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM
dascro
Senior User
Originally Posted by DeckedoutF150
last i heard was the 6.2L will be available sometime in 2009 or early 2010. the toyota is junk i would not look at that even, trans and cam shaft problems!! also talked to one guy the expireances a vibration everytime after he pulls a trailer, toyota fixed it 3 times and told him that he would have to pay for it next time, trailer is a 7,000 pound trailer and truck is rated at 10,300
I think he should look at the toyota and dodge and every other truck. Look at whats important to you and buy the vehicle that is closest to that. Who cares what brand it is.

Quick Reply: why no 6.2 engine yet?