Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Why aren't you guys running WVO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BIO is the way to go in Texas,

Up here, in Canada, many days of the year are too cold to run BIO, and most guys arent willing to spend money proccessing WVO to go and burn a 40% bio mix.

So, if you gotta heat a tank of BIO just to burn it, you might as well go the extra mile and set up a WVO system.

This is my opinion anyways, burning WVO definately isnt for everyone... whenever you are driving your truck, you always have to think about the WVO.... is it hot.... is the pressure good ....whats the engine temp.....how long has she been idling for.....

If any of you are burning oil to heat your home, it is very simple to buy a second oil spray pump unit, and rig it up for WVO. You can even leave the original unit to the side in case of a breakdown.
This is what I've been doing with WVO for a while now, and every liter of heating oil not burned, is as good as a free liter of diesel (just about), and its a lot easier and less risky to burn WVO in a furnace than a truck, and should also get you some practice with filtering, gathering, etc...

Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
true dat.

living in a colder climate limits the options. WVO is truly the way to go for home heating though.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
To the OP: Because making money is too easy.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:53 PM
A-Z Racing
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Pilgram 78, How many hours a day and gallons a month are you burning thru that generator to reverse your bills? Only using WVO thru generator?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by empiretc
true dat.

living in a colder climate limits the options. WVO is truly the way to go for home heating though.

Even heating a home with WVO can have glitches, but like I said, if you leave the original oil pump and sprayer intact, but removed, you always have the ability to twist wrenched for 5 minutes in case its cold out and you project went south.

Even if you clog up the nozzle, thats only 80$ down the hole, instead of injectors.

If you live in a very cold place, you could burn 300-400$ a month in heating oil, which can easily be eliminated with WVO.

I'm not trying to discourage WVO conversions here, heck, I plan on one...

Old 07-31-2008, 09:03 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
i put a burner out of a old heater in my homemade processor. i am able to use a mix of bio, filtered WVO, and a little gas (for flash) in it. sometimes some condensate as well.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HKusp
Well I am currently paying $2.66 a gallon for on road diesel fuel (7/31/2008). It wouldn't be worth it for me just for the hassle of tracking down all the sources. Plus in the state of Maryland, they just passed a law that you have to account for every gallon and pay 17 cents in round use tax, plus you have to get a license to make bio fuels. I'm not sure how much that costs, but they ain't getting it from me.
Good lord, were are you getting on road for 2.66? I think last I saw was 4.59. Up here in central PA though.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Jack_99V10
Senior User
Originally Posted by rebelchevy02
Good lord, were are you getting on road for 2.66? I think last I saw was 4.59. Up here in central PA though.

Yeah... that might be worth a drive...

Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 PM
rebelchevy02
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Jack_99V10

Yeah... that might be worth a drive...
And If Im paying 4.59, that means its 5.09 in NY. Seems everytime I cross into new york, its 50 cents more a gallon.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:30 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
You can save money on burning WVO, granted just as fast as you could lose it...

If burning WVO is for you, you'd be mechanically inclined, have time to devote for processing, etc.

If you are gonna be hasty, with mind set purely on free fuel, you should probably take a step back...

There are many who run WVO with no trouble, those who prepare the oil religiously, and always wait for the temperature to rise up to a safe level.

With this decision, you have lots to gain; as well as lots to lose....

Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by parkland
If burning WVO is for you, you'd be mechanically inclined, have time to devote for processing, etc.

If you are gonna be hasty, with mind set purely on free fuel, you should probably take a step back...

There are many who run WVO with no trouble, those who prepare the oil religiously, and always wait for the temperature to rise up to a safe level.

With this decision, you have lots to gain; as well as lots to lose....
AGREED. I feel the same way about BIO. there are people making horrible batches of BIO and burn it regardless. some even burn it unwashed due to haste.

anyone looking to burn/make wvo/bio must be prepared to do so.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:50 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by empiretc
AGREED. I feel the same way about BIO. there are people making horrible batches of BIO and burn it regardless. some even burn it unwashed due to haste.

anyone looking to burn/make wvo/bio must be prepared to do so.
It is rewarding if you can commit, however there is no free lunch.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,922 Likes on 1,155 Posts
Burning VO is stupid and it will ruin your engine.

It truly is getting very difficult to find, though. And most 'kits' on the market really WILL ruin yer engine. There is definately more than one WRONG WAY to do it.

My truck has almost 70K miles on VO. 2 tank system based on early Vegistroke design. I put 190* VO into the heads without heating the VO tank. My fuel costs between $0.05 and $0.15/gallon (everything BUT my time). I have driven 7,500 miles on 1/2 tank of (bio)diesel - about 15 gallons. That was not a typo. I used about 450 gals of VO iirc. I have a 100 gal VO tank now, soon to be replaced w/a 200 gal tank. (I drive cross-country alot, towing 5ver) I have friends all over the country who are willing to 'top me off' when I drive by as well. I 'switch over' in under 5 miles and purge in about 20 secs. No VO ever gets near my diesel tank and I have NEVER had the first problem with my VO system, much less a breakdown because of it.

I also have a couple friends w/BioPro 190's. That is the awesome 'set it and forget' biodiesel machine. Literally put in ingredients (a 'recipe' - no chemistry or math), push a button and come back in 24hrs. Drain glycerin, then push another button and come back in 24hrs and pump washed, dried B100 straight into yer truck. 50 gals EVERY 48hrs - it is sweeet! B100 is costing us about $1.50 a gallon for ingredients (its closer to $2/gal on the left coast) Methanol is coming down again though. We used to be under $0.80/gal before it went up 3 fold!

Anyway, its been A LOOOONG time since I bought fuel at a station... I heard its been high lately.

DP-Tuner WILL have at least one program for VO, as soon as I'm home long enough and know enough in advance for me get over there and get some 'Live Tuning' done! Jody has seen my junk and was well aware it ran on VO when he wrote the programs I'm running now! Nice having them so close by now!
Thanks AGAIN Jody and Diane, lovin' the Excursion tunes!!!!

Swamps saw my injectors after 50k miles on VO. "Normal for 240k mile injectors". In fact awhile back they offered to evaluate any VO injectors people would send them. They found almost all were good. The only issue they found was a few cases of chemical wear from caustic cleaning agents resteraunts use in the fryers. My old injectors worked perfect btw, I just wanted to change them at home, myself - rather than get raped while 3000 miles from home when ONE failed. (thats what we told the wifey anyway - truth is single-shots ROCK!)

Alright, enough of the stupid long post from the new guy! There's not enough VO for all of us anyway...

CHEERS!

Old 08-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 799 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
To the OP: Because making money is too easy.
Same here.
I can earn the money to pay for the fuel at the pump in less time than it takes to run around, gathering, making, etc.
Simple matter of time management.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Jack_99V10
Senior User
I've been dealing with $600/month for fuel long enough. Sure, I make way more than that, but the rich aren't rich because they waste their money

Quick Reply: Why aren't you guys running WVO?