1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Dealer Told Me My 01' 7.3L Doesn't Have Block Heater Plug In!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Shonufftuff69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Dealer Told Me My 01' 7.3L Doesn't Have Block Heater Plug In!

Man, I am very disappointed! Took my 01' Powerstroke to the local dealership and the service guys told me they couldn't find a plug in for my block heater! That sux big time! here lately its been in the teens temperature wise...But a bit of good news, I will be getting a reimbursement check back for having the sensor that's involved with the recall said it would take me about 4-6 weeks to get it though but better late than not at all....

On a different note, I have been considering changing my air filter over to a KNN. But a buddy of mine told me he believes that when he did that to his 03' Dodge Cummins it made it burn oil HE THINKS not proven. And please, I know what we ford lovers think of dodges so no smart alicky comments LOL trust me I already jump on him about driving a dodge! But my question is is there any truth to this happening to any of your trucks? Thanks and sorry for the multiple questions in one post just didnt' want numerous posts...

Old 01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
As far as I know, all 7.3's came with a block heater except California trucks. Do you know where yours came from? It might just be coiled up back behind the bumper or somewhere close to the radiator. Id take a better look if I were you.

As far as KNN goes, a lot of the guys on here don't like them and don't agree with using an oiled filter on something that pulls in so much air for fear it will suck in debris and damage the turbo. A lot on here have changed over to the 6637 Kwik filter, which is just a standard paper filter. If you're going to go out and buy an air filter for your truck, I hear the AIS is the best you can get for a Powerstroke.

BTW - most of us Ford folk don't mind a Dodge, just as long as it has a Cummins in it.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
That sucks about the plug in. But i put a K & N intake on my old truck 00 7.3, (before I knew about this site), and it was a big waste of money. I would clean the filter, and then a week or so later, it would be really dirty again. And they advertise those things saying that they will go for quite a few miles before you have to clean them. I ended up putting the stock air box back on. I will definately go with something different this time. Probably the AIS system.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Shonufftuff69
New User
Originally Posted by Smokin'
As far as I know, all 7.3's came with a block heater except California trucks. Do you know where yours came from? It might just be coiled up back behind the bumper or somewhere close to the radiator. Id take a better look if I were you.

As far as KNN goes, a lot of the guys on here don't like them and don't agree with using an oiled filter on something that pulls in so much air for fear it will suck in debris and damage the turbo. A lot on here have changed over to the 6637 Kwik filter, which is just a standard paper filter. If you're going to go out and buy an air filter for your truck, I hear the AIS is the best you can get for a Powerstroke.

BTW - most of us Ford folk don't mind a Dodge, just as long as it has a Cummins in it.
Thanks for the info, sounds like there was some truth to there being some issues with using the KNN's.

And I guess I do need to take a better look for my Block heater plug. Don't know where it came from but I think it was from Kentucky if I am not mistaken. I will have to reasearch it and find out for sure!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Shonufftuff69
New User
Oh and one more thing, how do you upload the pics of your trucks in your identity so that it shows up when you post or reply to a message? Thanks abunch!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Shonufftuff69]Man, I am very disappointed! Took my 01' Powerstroke to the local dealership and the service guys told me they couldn't find a plug in for my block heater! That sux big time! QUOTE]

Crawl under the engine and look just above your oil filter.. If you have a heater, there should be a orange and black heavy duty wire coming out of a large fitting in your block..

Old 01-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by Shonufftuff69
Oh and one more thing, how do you upload the pics of your trucks in your identity so that it shows up when you post or reply to a message? Thanks abunch!
Putting a picture in your signature is something that only supporters (paying members) can do.

You can put a picture as your avatar though. You'll find a link under your Control Panel.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Shonufftuff69
New User
[QUOTE=clintbonnie]
Originally Posted by Shonufftuff69
Man, I am very disappointed! Took my 01' Powerstroke to the local dealership and the service guys told me they couldn't find a plug in for my block heater! That sux big time! QUOTE]

Crawl under the engine and look just above your oil filter.. If you have a heater, there should be a orange and black heavy duty wire coming out of a large fitting in your block..
Thank you I will try it!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Shonufftuff69
New User
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Putting a picture in your signature is something that only supporters (paying members) can do.

You can put a picture as your avatar though. You'll find a link under your Control Panel.
Thank you very much! I was wondering how so many were able to do it.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
stormyrider
Elder User
Block heater connector is normally coiled and tyewrapped in the bottom of the front bumper.
I have the AIS mod and like it. shop around before you buy as the price varies a bit.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
TurtleRacing
PSD Addict
All you have to do is look right where your oil filter screws onto the block, if there's an orange wire coming out of there you have a block heater, follow it to the end.

As Far as K&N, I wouldn't use them on ANYTHING, period. I've lost way to much $$ with them passing dirt, and I don't just think so, I know it was the K&N's fault.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 PM
roaky81
Senior User
I'd definitely replace the stock filter box (I have the AIS) cause the locking tabs by the fender are cheesy and don't hold the lid down.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong (like I need to tell you that) All of the engines have the heaters, just all didn't come with the $35.00 plug in cord.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by zx250
Correct me if I'm wrong (like I need to tell you that) All of the engines have the heaters, just all didn't come with the $35.00 plug in cord.
I didn't know that. But, then again, I've never seen a Powerstroke without one... but that's not saying much.

What doesn't make sense to me is why Ford would skip the plug in cord, even in a warm state. It seems an important accessory on a vehicle that has a likelihood of being sensitive to the cold...even if you do live in CA...doesn't mean you won't take roadtrips to cold places.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:14 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that's why the charge is only $35 or so on the window sticker.

Quick Reply: Dealer Told Me My 01' 7.3L Doesn't Have Block Heater Plug In!