Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Toyota Tundra woes “shame” automaker

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 03:10 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Bad
Why does it seem that all the import supporters have such limited thinking, a seeming inability to grasp the big picture? Buying used a Taurus certainly helps support Ford far more than buying a used Corolla.

Why, you ask? Maintenance items, replacement parts, possible visits to a Ford dealership for diagnosis and/or repair work, etc.
I don't have limited thinking...I knew someone was going to say what you just did...He did not support Ford in the buying of the car(which is what I said), when he buys parts he will...

Tim

Old 04-02-2008, 03:15 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A guy with a 16 year old Taurus is far more likely to buy a Ford part than a guy with a Corolla. Seriously, what's comical is that you try to dismiss elementary logic with useless sarcasm and eye roll emoticons.

Logic dictates that a guy with a 16 your old car is going to buy the cheapest part he can find.....more than likely the made in China part from the local auto parts store. IF he was so inclined to pay 3X the money for an OEM part, chances are it wasn't made in the U.S. either.

So like already stated, buying a used domestic hardly makes one patriotic or Christian.

Where did I assume that the OEM parts are domestically made, DOHC? Point it out. What you are doing here is meshing two separate points I made in an attempt to create a talking point for yourself.
You didn't, but what difference does it make if a locally owned dealer....import or domestic... sells a foreign part??

Either transaction contributes to the same thing.....worker, taxes, etc...

See the Level Field data, Ford produces SEVERAL TIMES the amount of U.S. parts that Toyota does. Big picture man, big picture, get past this economic myopia.

Again, I take what they say with a grain of salt.......like when you linked the N.American content and it used "Domestic built" vehicles.....I still think that was an underhanded way to sway the numbers.

As for Level Fields, the data is easily verifiable. I've provided the info. in the past (from "unbiased" sources) and you didn't accept it then either. Whether you like or accept it or not, buying a Ford 9 times out of 10 is inherently more patriotic (for a U.S. citizen) than buying a Toyota for the simple reason they contribute FAR MORE to the U.S. economy than Toyota does.
They provide several times the number of U.S. jobs, spend many times the R&D money in the U.S., use a much higher average domestic parts content, and the list just goes on an on. .

That is your opinion......and it may be true using current numbers.

But those numbers are changing daily as Ford/GM continue to outsource and the Asians continue to build here.

And while a big chunk of those numbers are bolstered by the content and production location of trucks (now that Ford no longer makes 250's and 350's in Mexico)

It would be a vastly different mix if just cars were used for those figures.

I'm glad your Tundra is domestically produced with an 85% domestic content, but don't try to act like buying a Toyota (even a Tundra) is somehow as "patriotic" OR doing as much to support the U.S. economy as buying a Ford. It's impossible to do so when you look at the issue in a macro sense.

Considering I don't base my patriotism on my truck/car purchase, (I do, however, base my patriotism on my military service) there's nothing you can show me that as many Americans did not benefit from the sale of my Tundra (from R&D, build location, parts content) as they have from my Mexican built, Japanese chassied, 50% part content Lincoln.

Ford, GM and Chrysler laid down the gauntlet years ago when they imported vehicles for no other reason than greed.

They laid off thousands of domestic workers yet still brought in Couriers. LUV's, D-50's, Crickets, Fiestas, Arrows, Capris and countless other models.

I'll buy what I feel is the best value for my money at the time (Lincoln) or what I think is the best in class at the time for me. (Tundra)

If you believe so strongly, maybe you should petition your law makers???

To me, this country was built on free enterprise (among other things) if you can't compete, either step it up or step out.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by SMIGGS

Good god, it would be downright scary for someone to search the word "patriotism" on this website.

You get the same posts with the same links over and over and over and over again.
The only reason I included the word "patriotism" was because DOHC threw it out there. I just took the bait.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by RocketScience
Patriotism?

Toyota takes some of their profits and builds factories here in the US, creating thousands of American jobs. While Ford on the otherhand, takes some of their profits, and builds factories in Mexico, creating thousands of Mexican jobs, all, while closing plants here in the US.

But hey, what about your solution; what if we all just DID stop buying imports and ONLY supported the "Big Three" (oops, I guess that's the "big Two" now)? If it did happen, surely the greedy CEO's and Stockholders would much rather pay those high wages and benefit packages of the American workers, close those pesky unregulated factories down in Mexico, and JUST DO THE RIGHT THING! Do ya think???

So now , in the interim, in order for me to be patriotic and support American workers and the American economy, I drive an American-made Toyota (made in California), and only drive my import Super Duty (made in Mexico) when my friends aren't looking.

Note to other Users:
I have recycled this post six times now. Please try to do your part to conserve bandwidth.......Global Warming, it's EVERYBODY'S problem.

BTW, welcome to FTE!
Try a new post, as your post has already been refuted by facts.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
Logic dictates that a guy with a 16 your old car is going to buy the cheapest part he can find.....more than likely the made in China part from the local auto parts store. IF he was so inclined to pay 3X the money for an OEM part, chances are it wasn't made in the U.S. either.
Simple logic dictates that a far higher percentage of 16 y/o Taurus owners are going to buy Ford/Motorcraft parts than will a Corolla owner.

So like already stated, buying a used domestic hardly makes one patriotic or Christian.
Who said otherwise? It's hard to argue that an American assembled Ford or Chevy doesn't do more to support the U.S. economy (both directly and indirectly) than a Toyota Tundra purchase, and hence is a more "patriotic" purchase. That doesn't necessarily make one more of a "patriot" though.

You didn't, but what difference does it make if a locally owned dealer....import or domestic... sells a foreign part??
Because one purchase supports a company that contributes far more to our local economy than the other. A purchase from Ford helps support 80,000 blue collar U.S. jobs vs. 30,000 for Toyota. White collar and R&D expenditures are even more lopsided.

But those numbers are changing daily as Ford/GM continue to outsource and the Asians continue to build here.
Except the weak yen is encouraging the Japanese manufacturers to expand in Japan. Toyota has already stated in press releases they do not intend to expand production in the U.S. beyond the new Mississppi plant. So this argument just doesn't hold any water.

Considering I don't base my patriotism on my truck/car purchase, (I do, however, base my patriotism on my military service) there's nothing you can show me that as many Americans did not benefit from the sale of my Tundra (from R&D, build location, parts content) as they have from my Mexican built, Japanese chassied, 50% part content Lincoln.
Hence the 9 times out of 10 comment. I could argue that the Lincoln purchase does more to indirectly support more American jobs though.

Ford, GM and Chrysler laid down the gauntlet years ago when they imported vehicles for no other reason than greed.

They laid off thousands of domestic workers yet still brought in Couriers. LUV's, D-50's, Crickets, Fiestas, Arrows, Capris and countless other models.

I'll buy what I feel is the best value for my money at the time (Lincoln) or what I think is the best in class at the time for me. (Tundra)

If you believe so strongly, maybe you should petition your law makers???

To me, this country was built on free enterprise (among other things) if you can't compete, either step it up or step out.
I'm a believer in the free market as well, that doesn't mean I won't purchase according to my own personal protectionist policies though.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
sglaine
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by SMIGGS

Good god, it would be downright scary for someone to search the word "patriotism" on this website.

You get the same posts with the same links over and over and over and over again.

I guess somethings never change when I'm not here...LOL...Nice pattern I am seeing here...Good Bye

Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Simple logic dictates that a far higher percentage of 16 y/o Taurus owners are going to buy Ford/Motorcraft parts than will a Corolla owner.
I guess if 0>0 then you are correct.

Who said otherwise? It's hard to argue that an American assembled Ford or Chevy doesn't do more to support the U.S. economy (both directly and indirectly) than a Toyota Tundra purchase, and hence is a more "patriotic" purchase. That doesn't necessarily make one more of a "patriot" though.
Key word; "American Assembled"

The fact that GM/Ford/Chrysler have/currently import vehicles to call their own blows the whole patriotic argument out of the water.....if they can buy from the Japanese; why can't we???

Because one purchase supports a company that contributes far more to our local economy than the other. A purchase from Ford helps support 80,000 blue collar U.S. jobs vs. 30,000 for Toyota. White collar and R&D expenditures are even more lopsided.
It also helps support the factories in Mexico/China/India.....where's Ford's loyalty/patriotism???

Except the weak yen is encouraging the Japanese manufacturers to expand in Japan. Toyota has already stated in press releases they do not intend to expand production in the U.S. beyond the new Mississppi plant. So this argument just doesn't hold any water.

Glad you acknowledged the MS. plant......when was Ford's last new U.S. factory??? I know they spent 2 billion in Mexico while buying out 30,000 U.S. workers.

Hence the 9 times out of 10 comment. I could argue that the Lincoln purchase does more to indirectly support more American jobs though.
Argue away, a lot of the suppliers that supply Toy also supply U.S. makers....N.American content is N.American content.

In fact, Aisan builds transmissions in the U.S. for Toyota, Dodge and GM. (not 100% sure about Ford)

I'm a believer in the free market as well, that doesn't mean I won't purchase according to my own personal protectionist policies though.

Well, that's the bottom line......we differ on protectionist policies.

I liken them to marxisim/democrats.....take from the rich and give to the poor. (the poor being the downtrodden American auto maker)

Let's buy Jaguar and lose billions.....

Let's buy Aston Martin (not the loss Jag was) but money that could have been used domestically

Let's import cars and trucks instead of putting our own people to work...

Let's do joint ventures with Asian countries; including Korea.

And then cry when we lose market share.

Look, I want Ford to kick butt and take names but I'm not going to buy one just because of some pseudo-patriotic (or religeous) reason.

They need to earn my hard earned money.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
I guess if 0>0 then you are correct.
0>0? Odds are that something > nothing would be the case here.

Key word; "American Assembled"

The fact that GM/Ford/Chrysler have/currently import vehicles to call their own blows the whole patriotic argument out of the water.....if they can buy from the Japanese; why can't we???
Fun fact of the day: Toyota has 3 US plants, Ford has 10.

It also helps support the factories in Mexico/China/India.....where's Ford's loyalty/patriotism???
In employing 2.5 times the number of blue collar workers, in spending the bulk of their R&D expenditures in the good 'ole U.S.of A.

Glad you acknowledged the MS. plant......when was Ford's last new U.S. factory??? I know they spent 2 billion in Mexico while buying out 30,000 U.S. workers.
Last I checked, 10 > 3 or 4 and 80,000 > 30,000.

Argue away, a lot of the suppliers that supply Toy also supply U.S. makers....N.American content is N.American content.
And who do you think buys more from these suppliers? The company with 10 assembly plants and 80,000 workers or the company with 3 assembly plants and 30,000 workers?

In fact, Aisan builds transmissions in the U.S. for Toyota, Dodge and GM. (not 100% sure about Ford)
Aisin supplys the 6-speed transaxle for the Fusion and the Five Hundred/Freestyle up until it became the Taurus/Taurus X. The GM-Ford joint venture 6-speed has already begun phasing out the Aisin 6-speeds. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to see Ford and GM coming together to eliminate Aisin from their products.

Well, that's the bottom line......we differ on protectionist policies.

I liken them to marxisim/democrats.....take from the rich and give to the poor. (the poor being the downtrodden American auto maker)

Let's buy Jaguar and lose billions.....

Let's buy Aston Martin (not the loss Jag was) but money that could have been used domestically

Let's import cars and trucks instead of putting our own people to work...

Let's do joint ventures with Asian countries; including Korea.

And then cry when we lose market share.

Look, I want Ford to kick butt and take names but I'm not going to buy one just because of some pseudo-patriotic (or religeous) reason.

They need to earn my hard earned money.
Ford has made poor business decisions. So have all of the Big 3. So has Toyota. I'm still not sure how this disqualifies Ford from being more American than Toyota, or from currently doing far more for the U.S. economy.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
It doesn't make one more American than the other.....that's been my point from the beginning.

The fact remains, that one company is DECREASING its U.S. work force while another INCREASES theirs.

They're both global companies that put one thing ahead of all else......and that is profit. Ford would pull EVERYTHING out of the U.S. and move to Somalia if they thought they could get away with it (as would Toyota)

And while out of order, I'm confident that the guy changing his oil in his 16 year old Taurus OR Corolla is using $1.99 generic filters and $.99 Flag motor oil.

The chances of using a Motorcraft filter/oil in either vehicle is probably the same.

[BTW, if it makes you feel better,(warm and fuzzy?) I use Motorcraft 5W-20 in all my vehicles; including the Tundra]

Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
From an FTE FRED thread:

Ford and Toyota named as EPA Energy Star winners | CanadianDriver: Automotive news

Washington, D.C. – The Ford Motor Company and Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America Inc. have been named Energy Star award winners by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The two companies were the only automakers named to the list, which highlights 74 organizations noted for reducing greenhouse gas emissions through energy efficiency.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
The only reason I included the word "patriotism" was because DOHC threw it out there. I just took the bait.

Negative, Ghost rider......the bait was cast by someone pretending to be a new member in post #337.

Worked pretty well, too!!!

Originally Posted by chrismatchett
What about patriotism? I think it isn't an issue whether or not Japanese cars are better than our domestic cars. It is a matter of supporting this north american economy over theirs. I still bought a Ford Taurus 1992 strictly out of patriotism over a 1993 toyota carolla that was the same price.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Negative, Ghost rider......the bait was cast by someone pretending to be a new member in post #337.

Worked pretty well, too!!!
Well then, my mistake.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Try a new post, as your post has already been refuted by facts.
Oh geezuz......you've forced me to use another recycled post :

Let's dissect (one by one) my so-called facts, shall we?...

"Toyota takes some of their profits and builds factories here in the US, creating thousands of American jobs..."
Fact #1

"....While Ford on the otherhand, takes some of their profits, and builds factories in Mexico, creating thousands of Mexican jobs...."
Fact #2

"....all, while closing plants here in the US..."
Fact #3

"....and ONLY supported the "Big Three" (oops, I guess that's the "big Two" now)?..."
Fact #4

"...So now , in the interim, in order for me to be patriotic and support American workers and the American economy, I drive an American-made Toyota (made in California)..."
Fact #5

"...my import Super Duty (made in Mexico)..."
Fact #6

"...and only drive my import Super Duty when my friends aren't looking."
Fact #7

Old 04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Big Bad
Elder User
Absolutely pathetic. This post contains nothing but "facts" that have either been recently adressed or are irrelevant in context to the discussion at hand.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:10 PM
RocketScience
Posting Guru
Absolutely pathetic. This post contains nothing but "facts" that have either been recently adressed or are irrelevant in context to the discussion at hand.
That's IT?......That's all you got???

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra woes “shame” automaker