1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superlift tru-speed sensor.....anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Mercury45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by popkorn
Try a superchips tirepaq. Thats what I have works perfect on tires up to 40".
Im glad the tirepaq worked out for you... just remember folks it is only for diesles for certin years and gas for other years... i have an 03 gas and i cant use something like that

I had to make my own correction device and it is cheaper then the tirepaq.

actually any of the "black boxes" for speed correction can be used - and are cheaper then the "tire paq" just fyi

kenny

Old 12-30-2007, 11:10 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
FWIW, my Superlift TruSpeed has been connected and the module located under the hood of my truck since 2001 and I've never had any issues with it.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Mercury45
Senior User
I plan on moving my device to the engine compartment just to see if it changes anything by seat of the pants feel.. i doubt it will but at least then I would have preformed that test... today im fixing up the wires for my efans and such

kenny

Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by superdutymj
Shouldn't you be able to calibrate your speedo with your Superchips programmer?
My particular tuner is the Superchips Micro-Max tuner. It has a stock setting, a 60hp tow setting, and a 90hp hi-performance setting, and also can read codes, unfortunately It doesn't have any options to adjust for tire size. Oh...and it can remove the governor limit too

Old 12-31-2007, 02:36 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury45
Well... until somebody can prove to me that the signal does matter I am going to keep thinking the pcm does not use it.
It is amazing that you feel FMC & All the certified Ford techs, with all the proper equipment to test ALL components on the vehicle, do not know what they are talking about. Yet you without a proper scan tool or access to all current information & WDS supposedly know more about how the vehicle operates, than FMC and the certified Ford techs.

The VSS signal is sent to the PCM to use, FMC did not include the signal to the PCM just for fun. Here is a hint to just one use, if the VSS signal is out of range at the PCM when compared to other inputs, this can be caused by Transmission fault or Transmission control system fault.

I will have to go see if I feel a difference if I connect the wires right after the abs module... Hope fully I get to do this soon, because I really want to put this question to sleep.
Now there is a scientific test! The old calibrated seat of the pants. God knows this is more accurate than the proper test equipment.

The reason i would hate to see people loose the signal to all those onboard systems is because it will be a PITA to track it down, where as behind the cluster it will be easier to locate a break.
Not if you troubleshoot properly. Troubleshooting is not a random sequence of events, it follows a specific path. If you lose the VSS signal to multiple components then the first place to start testing is the ABS module then move downstream from there. If multiple components have lost the VSS signal, then either the VSS sensor/wiring is bad, ABS module is bad or the wiring between ABS module VSS pin out (GY/BK) and the splice to all the connectors on this circuit. If the problem only results in a specific component then you start troublshooting there and work up-stream. Note: Anytime an A/M device is installed the first step is to isolate (remove) the A/M device and test the system for proper operation.

I agree an auto is no place for intermittent connections. Intermittent connections are a bear to track down and are difficult to troubleshoot. I do not see how an intermittent connection can cause voltage spikes especially when the cluster draws less then 6mA of current.
You may want to look a little closer, the IC is supplied with VBAT from more than one input, minimum voltage is 10. Broken connections can come in contact with ground or VBat, neither or these is particularly good for computer components that are extremely sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Mercury45
Senior User
Originally Posted by blackhat620
It is amazing that you feel FMC & All the certified Ford techs, with all the proper equipment to test ALL components on the vehicle, do not know what they are talking about. Yet you without a proper scan tool or access to all current information & WDS supposedly know more about how the vehicle operates, than FMC and the certified Ford techs.
When did I ever say that? I just cant beleive anything without proof - your words with no backup means nothing to me - im sorry but it is how it is. Have you disconnected your rear diff VSS sensor yet? Just to prove me right or wrong, whatever the case may be

The VSS signal is sent to the PCM to use, FMC did not include the signal to the PCM just for fun. Here is a hint to just one use, if the VSS signal is out of range at the PCM when compared to other inputs, this can be caused by Transmission fault or Transmission control system fault.
So If I put my truck on a dyno I should get all sorts of faults then right? Since the front sensors are doing "0" and the rear is doing, well whatever? Fact is I have done that and never gotten any faults. Another fact is, I disconnected my VSS and still put my rear of my truck in the air and never hot any lights other then an ABS light, plugged the rear vss back in and went for a drive, all lights cleared.

Now there is a scientific test! The old calibrated seat of the pants. God knows this is more accurate than the proper test equipment.
My seat of the pants test includes a full data log of the drive before and after the connection change. Its all I can do - I am not rich and I do not have all sorts of fancy equipment. I do have a diablo sport predator and I can only compare two logs. Instead of being so negative why not try to assist me in completeing what I want to test?

Not if you troubleshoot properly. Troubleshooting is not a random sequence of events, it follows a specific path. If you lose the VSS signal to multiple components then the first place to start testing is the ABS module then move downstream from there. If multiple components have lost the VSS signal, then either the VSS sensor/wiring is bad, ABS module is bad or the wiring between ABS module VSS pin out (GY/BK) and the splice to all the connectors on this circuit. If the problem only results in a specific component then you start troublshooting there and work up-stream. Note: Anytime an A/M device is installed the first step is to isolate (remove) the A/M device and test the system for proper operation.
That sounds like exactly what I am trying to do, however the first thing I want to know is why is my truck apparently like so many others out there, did you see my post to that other thread where people basically did the same thing I did. Am I supposed to belive without a doubt their truck has a mysterous short as well?? I do not beleive things without back up -i am sorry its just how I am. heres that link i really want you to comment on:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ht=speedometer

I am not saying I am smarter then FMC ford techs - you keep referring to them - but where are they? Wheres the documentation? You keep saying I dont have a clue but I was the only one (thus far) to provide some sort of hard written proof of my thought process. You continue to provide nothing but a bad attitude - but no backup of YOUR thought process.

You may want to look a little closer, the IC is supplied with VBAT from more than one input, minimum voltage is 10. Broken connections can come in contact with ground or VBat, neither or these is particularly good for computer components that are extremely sensitive to voltage fluctuations.
I made a mistake, when I said "cluster" I meant to say speedometer signal into the cluster - that is what we are talking about here. The speed signal into the cluister - at least on my truck draws very little current, I know this - I tested it.

Look, I am not trying to be mean or aggressive, but please provide me with some reasonable input - you keep saying that I claim to be wiser then FMC techs, I really do not claim any such thing. I just wish somebody can clear this all up - until that somebody comes along I will believe what I find through experimentation and the Ford data that I do have.

I already offered you money to disconnect your sensor on the rear of your truck and see what it does. I will ask some friends of mine to do the same thing since you apparetly do not want to do it.

I will return with results, from experimentation and to me experimentation over-rides anything written in some book somewhere where the person who wrote it likely has never even been in a truck.

Happy new year

Kenny

Old 12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Mercury45,

Without the proper diagnostic tools you cannot datalog all the parameters. The Diablosport will not read or properly datalog the ABS module or most of the others. The Diablosport will only read a small portion of the PCM data at best.

You and your buddies can do all the half baked tests with little to no equipment you want. It will not change the facts on how the VSS is generated, what components use it or how the system works.

You are doing all of your shade tree testing on a single 2003 5.4 SD compounded by the fact you do not have all the proper tools to perform the tests, read & access the codes & pids, let alone perform tests on these components. The Electronic computer controll system just on the 03 SD has different variations. The gas motor version the least sophisticated, 7.3 version more sophisticated and 6.0 version the most sophisticated. Also trim level packages vary in sophistication with the XL series being the least sophisticated.

Compound all this with the fact you have little to no mechanical knowledge and yet you profess to know how these systems operate on all 99-04 SD.

As far as the techs talking to you, most of them will not, especially after all of your initial posts and smart *** remarks. I have tried to help you learn about these systems but you have every thing completely figured out in your little world so i am done trying to help you.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Mercury45
Senior User
Mercury45,

Without the proper diagnostic tools you cannot datalog all the parameters. The Diablosport will not read or properly datalog the ABS module or most of the others. The Diablosport will only read a small portion of the PCM data at best.
Nobody said i wanted to datalog all that stuff... I want to see how well the truck runs with the speed corrected vs not corrected, I can look at spark advance, engine load and an array of many others including shift points etc... since thats the big one I feel will not change.

You and your buddies can do all the half baked tests with little to no equipment you want. It will not change the facts on how the VSS is generated, what components use it or how the system works.
These tests are not half baked - the question is this: If rear vss is unplugged with the speedometer read - its a simple test with a simple result, please stop saying what I am and what I do is "half baked" Maybe you dont care about your reputation, but I do care about mine. And if somebody is name calling, even on a forum, it makes the other person look bad and the first party look, well not so smart.

If you have all this info and know so much, why not conduct one simple test - go unplug the VSS off your rear diff on your truck and tell me what happeneds when you go around the block - thats all I ask. Until then, your attempts at scaring me away with your aggressive tone are useless to me and everybody else in here - words are garbage compared to actual experimentation. I said it before and I will say it again, I have seen so many documents written that are far from the truth. Take the business I am in for example - light rail trains. They have a specification that all the suppliers need to follow, at the end - what is actually on the train is usually completely different then what the spec even asked for. I am not talking about small companies doing this either. The company I am talking about did ~ $107 BILLION in sales in 2006 (i just had to look that up quick)

You are doing all of your shade tree testing on a single 2003 5.4 SD compounded by the fact you do not have all the proper tools to perform the tests, read & access the codes & pids, let alone perform tests on these components. The Electronic computer controll system just on the 03 SD has different variations. The gas motor version the least sophisticated, 7.3 version more sophisticated and 6.0 version the most sophisticated. Also trim level packages vary in sophistication with the XL series being the least sophisticated.
FYI, and this is going off memory but I intend to try it again, I have disconnected the rear VSS on my buddies 2003 6.0 truck, his speedometer still read. I have to verify this because it was some time ago...

Compound all this with the fact you have little to no mechanical knowledge and yet you profess to know how these systems operate on all 99-04 SD.
I never claimed to be an expert on these trucks. My area of expertise is the speed signal, thats all I am concerned with, not with power windows or timing or anything like that - ONLY THE SPEED SIGNAL AND RELATED SYSTEMS. I do know how to read, and all I am doing is passing on documentation that I have read, I have provided links to such documentation so people can make their own interpretations, you have provided nothing. You keep saying I have no mechanical knoledge - what does that even mean - I have showed that I ripped the front end apart on my truck, I know how nuts and bolts work, I know how engies work - do I know the details of all the onboard electrical systems - heck no - who does? Do you?[/quote]

As far as the techs talking to you, most of them will not, especially after all of your initial posts and smart *** remarks. I have tried to help you learn about these systems but you have every thing completely figured out in your little world so i am done trying to help you.
When somebody notices somebody else spewing wrong information it is the first persons duty to come in and at least correct them. So far, it looks like (based on proof and other threads) I am not the one with wrong info

As for helping me out with test equipment... You do not leave me much choice - without me spending upwards of $1000 - $3000 you are basically saying get good test equipment or shut up - I was attempting to conduct tests which do not require costly equipment. If you think you need a $3000 piece of equipemnt to tell you if your speedometer works if the rear vss is unplugged - then you are the one who is lacking knowledge, and not me.

Look the only thing on the table is this:

Does the speedometer still read if the sensor in the rear diff is disconnected - you say it does not, I say it does.

Im not sitting here trying to conduct rocket science.

You continue to say I have no mechanical knoladge - but I am the only one who backs my know-how up... YOU are the one who keeps claiming all this stuff with no backup... I will ask again, where is the proof except for the words you type? DO YOU HAVE ANY PROOF OTHER THEN YOUR WORDS?
WHY SHOULD I EVEN LISTEN TO YOU? YOU SAY YOU MAKE RACE CARS, THATS WONDERFUL, BY NO MEANS DOES THAT MAKE YOU A FORD EXPERT.

I am trying to be nice to you in every way I can, you keep coming back and say that (basically) I am stupid and inferior to you, I keep asking for you to prove it, and now you say you are done talking to me - Some people I just will never understand.

We can both learn a lot from the stuff that could be presented here, but you are too much a firm believer in the documentation (or lack of) and not the tests.

I urge you to stop the attitude, come in here with some facts and leave the angry comments at home.

Thanks, Kenny

Last edited by Mercury45; 12-31-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Mercury45
Senior User
Another post for blackhat:

Where does all your expertise come from on the superduty line of trucks?

Thanks, Kenny

Old 12-31-2007, 10:39 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Nobody said i wanted to datalog all that stuff... I want to see how well the truck runs with the speed corrected vs not corrected, I can look at spark advance, engine load and an array of many others including shift points etc... since thats the big one I feel will not change.

My area of expertise is the speed signal, thats all I am concerned with, not with power windows or timing or anything like that - ONLY THE SPEED SIGNAL AND RELATED SYSTEMS.

As for helping me out with test equipment... You do not leave me much choice - without me spending upwards of $1000 - $3000 you are basically saying get good test equipment or shut up - I was attempting to conduct tests which do not require costly equipment. If you think you need a $3000 piece of equipemnt to tell you if your speedometer works if the rear vss is unplugged - then you are the one who is lacking knowledge, and not me.
Hmm let’s see, based on the fact you do not have the proper diagnostic tools and you cannot properly locate and read the fault & pid codes set by a faulty VSS, you have determined through your “expert” analysis that no faults exist. In addition, you have repeatedly stated the PCM does not use the VSS for anything and that you know everything the VSS signal operates and how. Unfortunately without the proper test equipment You cannot determine or see all the parameters effected by a faulty VSS signal.

you are too much a firm believer in the documentation (or lack of) and not the tests.
Hmm interesting conclusion you have reached since You refuse to perform All the tests and use the proper equipment. Just because you lack the equipment to see the results does not mean they are not there.

Does the speedometer still read if the sensor in the rear diff is disconnected - you say it does not, I say it does.
Actually I said if you are getting a speedometer reading with the VSS disconnected then there is another problem in the IC, wiring or ABS system.

I said it before and I will say it again, I have seen so many documents written that are far from the truth. Take the business I am in for example - light rail trains. They have a specification that all the suppliers need to follow, at the end - what is actually on the train is usually completely different then what the spec even asked for. I am not talking about small companies doing this either. The company I am talking about did ~ $107 BILLION in sales in 2006 (i just had to look that up quick)
It is nice that you have read vendor/product procurement specification sheets, but we are not talking about the vendor/product procurement specification sheet, we are talking about the real DTC’s & pid’s that are seen in real time while working on a SD with the proper tools, not to mention the real time tests that can be carried out on the Electronic Control system with this equipment.

Where does all your expertise come from on the superduty line of trucks?
I answered this for you earlier but I will repeat it again since you missed it. I have been building race cars, restoring antique vehicles & tractors and turning wrenches for 40 years. I cut my teeth on FMC products and have wrenched on flat heads to the modern 6.0. I have personally owned in excess of 20 F250/F350 trucks and wrenched on numerous more. In addition I have several friends that are certified & qualified FMC techs who are still turning wrenches for FMC, some with over 30 years experience.

Here are a few more facts, since you missed the facts posted earlier and I will contain them to the 03 MY since that seems to be the only SD you have access to.

5.4 platform has the least sophisticated electronic control system on a SD as does the XL trim package.
2003 5.4 SD only available with either ZF S6-650 or 4R100 (no PTO option on 4R100)
2003 6.8 SD available with either ZF S6-650 or 4R100 (PTO option available on 4R100)
2003 7.3 SD available with either ZF M6HD-C or 4R100 (PTO option available on 4R100)
2003 6.0 SD available with either ZF M6HD-C or 5R110 (PTO option available on 5R110)

4R100:
The PCM monitors the following information and uses it to control the Shift timing, Line pressure & TCC operation of the 4R100:
BPP, MAP, MAF, RPM, TP, IAT, VSS, TCS, TFT, TSS, TR, OSS, PTO, PIP, 4WD, CKS & ACP

5R110 (Note: there were two versions of the 5R110 installed in 03 MY SD):
The PCM monitors the following information and uses it to control the Shift timing, Line pressure & TCC operation of the 5R110:
APP, CKS, CPS, BARO, RPM, VSS, VGT, BPP, T/H, TFT, ECT, EOT, PTO, 4WD, MAP, MAF, IAT, IPR, EGR, TSS, ISS, OSS, ACP

Just one of the transmission parameters the PCM controls by monitoring the VSS signal is downshift timing.

There is a flow chart used to diagnose a vehicle problem, the three following items are the first things always checked; 1) Retrieve All DTC, 2) Check TSB & Oasis messages, 3) Check for non-factory installed components.

There are multiple inputs the PCM uses to control the transmission operation, different sensor inputs are valued higher than others depending on the operating conditions. Also if the PCM detects a faulty sensor input, the PCM will try to use other sensor inputs and fixed default values to allow the vehicle to operate. Some faults set a hard code & MIL and other faults do not set a hard code & MIL. Some faults are only found through ongoing diagnostics in real time by a qualified FMC tech using the proper equipment.

The data is contained in the FMC vehicle service manuals, TSB’s, Oasis messages, FMC general broadcast messages, Direct real time connection of the vehicle computer system through WDS and an FMC technician at Corporate with the assistance of the local Ford field tech that has direct control of the vehicle. Much of this information is not readily available to the average shade tree mechanic.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Mercury45
Senior User
Hmm let’s see...CLIP...see all the parameters effected by a faulty VSS signal.
So if I get that autoenginuity PC program and scanner I will be able to read all those codes - look I am not an idiot and that auto enginutiy package makes it very easy to do whatever you want. I sleep and dream in HEX so reading hex codes would be nothing new for me. I am also sure it comes with some sort of instruction.

You keep claiming there is something wrong with my truck when I said if I disconnect the rear diff sensor and the speedometer still reads. Why then do so many more people have the same issue? Maybe we should all join forces and have a class action suit against ford. Or maybe it is the way it should be. All I know is that I am not the only person who when disconnecting the rear VSS the speedometer still reads. I wanted you to try it on your truck - but you wont... why wont you? Its just a simple test or are you afraid your truck may do the same thing as mine and the others?

Hmm interesting conclusion you have reached since....CLIP...there.
I am doing the best I can with the equipment I have, since we started this conversation I have made a savings pile for one of those auto enginutiy packages, however I fear that it may not have the ability to trouble shoot anything that does not show up on the cluster. You said it your self some items are ford specific and even the ford add on from auto enginuity will not cover it. I would have to spend $500 to have something that is nothing more then a fancy code reader and data logger.

Actually I said if you are getting a speedometer reading ...CLIP..., wiring or ABS system.
I have to ask, why then do so many other people have the same occurance? Maybe all the ford trucks like mine do it.. am I to beleive all these trucks have a problem? Or perhaps it defaults to the signals it IS getting?? If you do the simple test I ask, we can add another truck to the list and you can see it first hand. For as much writing we have done back and forth you could have conducted this test on both your trucks and provided results. The test is not to see anything except IF the speedometer will read - no need for fancy equipement!

It is nice that you have read vendor/product procurement...CLIP... Control system with this equipment.
Are we really talking about that? So you can honestly say you have hooked up one of these computers to your truck, disconnected the rear VSS, have gone for a drive and ended up with results different then me?

I answered this for you earlier but I will repeat it again since you missed it....CLIP....over 30 years experience.
I am glad you are a person of many talents building race cars must be no easy feat. However, wrenching on trucks, in my opinion hardly qualifies anybody to be an electronics expert on the ford systems. I will admit I am not an expert either, I feel I know more about the speed signal on these trucks then most people, and this was from reading FORD documentation - maybe the documentation is not right - I am just passing along what I saw, but thats it. I think to be qualified in my opinion, some schooling and some sort of degree would have to be mentioned.

Here are a few more facts...CLIP...
5R110:
APP, CKS, CPS, BARO, RPM, VSS, VGT, BPP, T/H, TFT, ECT, EOT, PTO, 4WD, MAP, MAF, IAT, IPR, EGR, TSS, ISS, OSS, ACP
good information there, where did you read it? I cant beleive any one person can remember all that by heart.

Just one of the transmission parameters the PCM controls by monitoring the VSS signal is downshift timing.
Do you know of any others? here is a link to a couple pictures i have taken from my DVD's Why is the VSS not even mentioned? And it says for shift timing and pressure it uses other sensors besides the VSS. Have you got an equivilent picture or document that can back up what you are saying?

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/mercury/abs/2003torque.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/mercury/abs/2003_4r100.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/mercury/abs/2004torque.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/mercury/abs/2004_4r100.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/mercury/abs/2005torque.jpg

There is a flow chart used to diagnose a vehicle problem, the three following items are the first things always checked; 1) Retrieve All DTC, 2) Check TSB & Oasis messages, 3) Check for non-factory installed components.
There is a way to troubleshoot any problem quickly and effectively, those three steps sound good to me I would do them in a different order and through experience i would prolly modify them slightly but ok I agree troubleshooting is a systematic process.

There are multiple inputs the PCM uses to control the transmission operation, different sensor inputs are valued higher than others depending on the operating conditions. Also if the PCM detects a faulty sensor input, the PCM will try to use other sensor inputs and fixed default values to allow the vehicle to operate. Some faults set a hard code & MIL and other faults do not set a hard code & MIL. Some faults are only found through ongoing diagnostics in real time by a qualified FMC tech using the proper equipment.
So knowing this new information is it not POSSIBLE that with a faulty rear diff sensor / disconnected the PCM will use the front two abs sensors and generate a speed signal?

I really want to know the black and white of it... Do you have a pdf or a picture that shows what you are explaining in text?

IF the speed signal is used by the PCM to control the tranny is there or has there ever been an analysis done to see what reprocussions there are to using the incorrected speed?

The data is contained in the FMC vehicle service manuals, TSB’s, Oasis messages, FMC general broadcast messages, Direct real time connection of the vehicle computer system through WDS and an FMC technician at Corporate with the assistance of the local Ford field tech that has direct control of the vehicle. Much of this information is not readily available to the average shade tree mechanic.
ok let me break down what I dod have...

1. Service manuals, I have them in a hard copy form and in the DVD form for my truck and on DVD for other years and models.
2. Oasis - I cant beleive how a system operates would change via Oasis - I do not have this option. It would cost me a lot of money to have this option.
3. A TSB would not change HOW a system is set up, so I cant see how this is relavant. I can access a few off the internet but again, I do not have the full list.
4. FMC broadcast messages, why would a system be designed for a truck then a message be broadcast about it... am I right or wrong, these broadcasts are for items not dealing with initial design.
5. connecting to the computer on the automobile - ok this is nice and all... do you have this option at hand? IF so it would be great if you could plug your computer in, unplug your vss and see what it says when it either reads on the speedometer or does not. If it does read on the speedometer then you likely have the same error so many others have, and if you tell me what it is maybe i can fix it on my truck. Unfortunately I have a hunch that you will find that the speedometer will read, and the system will not find any failures other then the rear VSS failure. I cannot be sure about this because I do not have the equipment to conduct your involved tests

as for the information not being avalible ^^^ have a look... I found everything required to find what I found.

STILL I ask that you conduct the simple test I have been asking you to do for a while. No it will not tell us if there is some sort of short or something, but it will add your truck to the list of trucks that all do the same thing when the rear vss is disconnected. That is if my hunch is correct.

Thanks again for reading

kenny

Old 01-01-2008, 02:07 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
I agree with blackhat on this one...as I mentioned before. If you spend some time on this site....you will know that this guy knows facts/specs and his posts aren't on what he "thinks he knows".

Merc, I don't think anyone is trying to scare you off. You are the one with the aggressive tone (look back to your first post in that other thread...what was the response to it?).

You state it's people's duty to correct wrong info....

Jetjock tried back in the day (what a year or two ago?) and got sick of you and gave up.

I came in, corrected you and verified all of his info...you edited your posts not to look like you "knew" all this info that wasn't at all true.
I tried again here....but it's like beating my head against the wall, so it's not worth my time.

Blackhat has lasted the longest and posted the most tech info of anyone and he's right....but you still argue and say he's not.

Look back through this thread and the other one Merc, from your first post...there are others who have quoted you and corrected you, notice they all gave up trying to correct you to.

Like I said before....your arrogant attitude and unwillingness to accept the fact that you may be wrong discredits you, your product and isn't making you any supporters here.

Don't think it's just me, I'll voice my thoughts so it may seem like only me, but over the years I've sold and done a lot of tech support on products and have heard from quite a few people (since pretty much the majority of what I sold was for lifted trucks) hesitant to run your product because of how you come across on the forums and they question your expertise.

Again, I'm sure you'll have some sort of rebuttal to each section of my response.....whatever.

And before you ask me to unplug my VSS, all of my Super Duty trucks are parked for the winter to keep them out of road salt, so that's not going to happen.

My $.05

Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
You keep claiming there is something wrong with my truck when I said if I disconnect the rear diff sensor and the speedometer still reads. Why then do so many more people have the same issue? Maybe we should all join forces and have a class action suit against ford. Or maybe it is the way it should be. All I know is that I am not the only person who when disconnecting the rear VSS the speedometer still reads. I wanted you to try it on your truck - but you wont... why wont you? Its just a simple test or are you afraid your truck may do the same thing as mine and the others?
The VSS signal is generated by the VSS sensor located at the rear axle, if you are getting speedometer movement with it disconnected, then with the proper tools you need to troubleshoot the ABS system, IC and wiring to see what is causing this movement as it is not correct. Just because you are seeing movement of the speedometer does not mean the movement is within spec of the speed signal and other operating parameters.

As stated previously, in ALL instances where the speedometer is not working properly, it is caused by one or a combination of the following; ABS module, IC, wiring or VSS (rear axle). The ONLY sensor ever replaced is the Rear Axle VSS, the front ABS wheel sensors are never replaced to repair a faulty speedometer. Since i have replaced the Rear Axle VSS sensor more than once to repair a faulty speedometer and all the Ford techs I know do the same thing, we have proved this theory out.

I am doing the best I can with the equipment I have, since we started this conversation I have made a savings pile for one of those auto enginutiy packages, however I fear that it may not have the ability to trouble shoot anything that does not show up on the cluster. You said it your self some items are ford specific and even the ford add on from auto enginuity will not cover it. I would have to spend $500 to have something that is nothing more then a fancy code reader and data logger.
That is why you need to find the people with the knowledge and the proper tools.
Are we really talking about that? So you can honestly say you have hooked up one of these computers to your truck, disconnected the rear VSS, have gone for a drive and ended up with results different then me?
I have been with the Ford tech when they have done this with their computer.

I am glad you are a person of many talents building race cars must be no easy feat. However, wrenching on trucks, in my opinion hardly qualifies anybody to be an electronics expert on the ford systems. I will admit I am not an expert either, I feel I know more about the speed signal on these trucks then most people, and this was from reading FORD documentation - maybe the documentation is not right - I am just passing along what I saw, but thats it. I think to be qualified in my opinion, some schooling and some sort of degree would have to be mentioned.
Degrees are nice, a degree & $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee. Degrees yep I have a few, EE, ME to name a couple. In addition I have been through several automotive training programs through the years, and have years of real world practical experience doing the actual work. But more importantly than all of that, I learned along time ago to find the people that had access to information and tools I did not. A very good friend of mine that I went through high school with has been and automotive mechanic his entire career and for the last 25 years has owned one of the top 5 private automotive repair facilities in Arizona. If I have a question or do not have the tools or expertise I go to him. My brother has been in the auto body business for 30+ years, ran the shop at a large Ford dealership and also a Chevrolet dealership for many years, he now owns his on shop in the same community and does the overflow work of both the Ford & Chevrolet dealerships. Over the years good relationships have been made with several of the repair techs at the dealerships, so if we need something done that is a dealership only option, we just go see one of them. When you know them, they will let you in the bay with them. Also through the years I have made friends with other Ford techs who have many years in the business and are still out there everyday working in the trenches. The Ford techs have a few tools you will never have access to by yourself; 1) The shear number of Ford trucks they work on weekly, 2) They can call another Ford tech to help them, 3) They can call the Ford Tech hotline and speak with a FMC engineer directly, 4) They can hook the vehicle up to the FMC computer and along with the FMC engineer can perform real time diagnostics that are available no other way, 5) An FMC engineer can come out to the dealership in person to survey and analyze the problem.
good information there, where did you read it? I cant beleive any one person can remember all that by heart.
Why do I need to memorize this information when I know where to go get the information when needed.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Do you know of any others? here is a link to a couple pictures i have taken from my DVD's Why is the VSS not even mentioned? And it says for shift timing and pressure it uses other sensors besides the VSS. Have you got an equivilent picture or document that can back up what you are saying?
You know this is quite interesting, you have gone from stating that, you know everything there is to know about the operation of the VSS signal and that the VSS signal is Never used by the PCM for anything and never for transmission control, to now wanting to know how many other things it can control and why you cannot find it in the information you have available. Sounds like you need to get better sources of information before you draw all your conclusions.
The VSS signal is used as stated earlier as one of the parameters to control shift timing, it is also used during some operations of the PTO function and used in some diesel engine operations. As stated before you do not have access to all the information available, some of this information can only be obtained from a Ford tech using FMC computer equipment and unless you are standing in the bay with the tech you will not see this data. Yes I have been in the bay with the tech and seen some of the data.

So knowing this new information is it not POSSIBLE that with a faulty rear diff sensor / disconnected the PCM will use the front two abs sensors and generate a speed signal?
I really want to know the black and white of it... Do you have a pdf or a picture that shows what you are explaining in text?
IF the speed signal is used by the PCM to control the tranny is there or has there ever been an analysis done to see what reprocussions there are to using the incorrected speed?
The information I posted is not “New” information, it has been available and known for quite awhile. I have had no need to know what percentage of performance is lost do to an inoperative VSS, so have never inquired. However I can tell you this loss is not going to be linear or static because the conditions the vehicle is operated under continually change. A FMC engineer would have this data but since it is not needed to diagnose and repair a faulty VSS it is not distributed and accessed. Also someday you need to wake up and realize not everything is written in a book you have access to, some things are passed on by the guys in the trenches that have been doing this work for many years and have access to many sources of information you do not.

ok let me break down what I dod have...
1. Service manuals, I have them in a hard copy form and in the DVD form for my truck and on DVD for other years and models.
2. Oasis - I cant beleive how a system operates would change via Oasis - I do not have this option. It would cost me a lot of money to have this option.
3. A TSB would not change HOW a system is set up, so I cant see how this is relavant. I can access a few off the internet but again, I do not have the full list.
4. FMC broadcast messages, why would a system be designed for a truck then a message be broadcast about it... am I right or wrong, these broadcasts are for items not dealing with initial design.
5. connecting to the computer on the automobile - ok this is nice and all... do you have this option at hand? IF so it would be great if you could plug your computer in, unplug your vss and see what it says when it either reads on the speedometer or does not. If it does read on the speedometer then you likely have the same error so many others have, and if you tell me what it is maybe i can fix it on my truck. Unfortunately I have a hunch that you will find that the speedometer will read, and the system will not find any failures other then the rear VSS failure. I cannot be sure about this because I do not have the equipment to conduct your involved tests
as for the information not being avalible ^^^ have a look... I found everything required to find what I found.
Not everything is contained in the service manuals you have access to. The manuals are routinely updated, and FMC uses Oasis, TSB, FMC broadcasts and its computer system to continually update not only the techs but the diagnostic and repair procedures as well. The EC systems on the SD uses multiple protocols to communicate, and several of them are not accessible accept with the use of specialized equipment. This specialized equipment is rarely available to the consumer or shade tree mechanic do to the cost not only to initially purchase it but also to keep it current with all updates. To have the Oasis and FMC computer system access you will have to purchase a Ford dealership or become a Ford tech.

Since you have available only 1 of the 5 sources of information and your Only source does not show all the data and parameters in black & white, then in your world nothing else exists…interesting.

Just an FYI not all tests on modern vehicles are simple, and as the vehicles become more computer controlled the diagnostics and repair procedure become much more specific and complicated. Here is just one example, on the 08 SD platform, installing an incorrect light bulb or adding a light to the parking/turn signal system can cause the entire vehicle lighting system to shut down. If additional or different bulbs are used/added, then software that can only be obtained by FMC must be used to reprogram SPDJB. This software is only available to FMC dealers and approved upfitters.

Best advice and suggestion I can give to you is to develop a good relationship with some Ford techs, and other experts in the automotive industry and not only learn from them, but also let them do the things you do not have the knowledge or tools to do.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Mercury45
Senior User
Originally Posted by DCSpecial
I agree with blackhat on this one...as I mentioned before. If you spend some time on this site....you will know that this guy knows facts/specs and his posts aren't on what he "thinks he knows".

Merc, I don't think anyone is trying to scare you off. You are the one with the aggressive tone (look back to your first post in that other thread...what was the response to it?).

You state it's people's duty to correct wrong info....

Jetjock tried back in the day (what a year or two ago?) and got sick of you and gave up.

I came in, corrected you and verified all of his info...you edited your posts not to look like you "knew" all this info that wasn't at all true.
I tried again here....but it's like beating my head against the wall, so it's not worth my time.

Blackhat has lasted the longest and posted the most tech info of anyone and he's right....but you still argue and say he's not.

Look back through this thread and the other one Merc, from your first post...there are others who have quoted you and corrected you, notice they all gave up trying to correct you to.

Like I said before....your arrogant attitude and unwillingness to accept the fact that you may be wrong discredits you, your product and isn't making you any supporters here.

Don't think it's just me, I'll voice my thoughts so it may seem like only me, but over the years I've sold and done a lot of tech support on products and have heard from quite a few people (since pretty much the majority of what I sold was for lifted trucks) hesitant to run your product because of how you come across on the forums and they question your expertise.

Again, I'm sure you'll have some sort of rebuttal to each section of my response.....whatever.

And before you ask me to unplug my VSS, all of my Super Duty trucks are parked for the winter to keep them out of road salt, so that's not going to happen.

My $.05

No DC I am truely sick of arguing.... nothing that anybody posted here can back it up with anything but here-say, other then my documentation I already provided a few times now. Lets be honest with eachother and stand back and put yourself in my shoes. I will admit I have limited sources, I am not rich nor do I know people @ ford. I truely appreciate the data blackhat has provided... but he could not have possibly typed that from memory, so I ask where did he get the data? Scan it, take a picture of it - but do something to PROVE IT.

My point is, through experimentation I have found that when the VSS is disconnected the speed still reads, it reads because the front two sensors are still getting pulses, I know this because when I unplug those two, then I loose the speedometer.

The fact of the matter is I am asking for the result of a very simple test, this should not have even escalated to where it became, its a simple yes / no response. I want to see if my truck is different then other peoples and if so, WHY. The thing is however, my truck may be the same as others (so far my tests have shown that to be true). I want to know if there is something now wrong with all our trucks since they all show the same result.

We need to simplify the discussion, its gotten way out of hand and we are going nowhere.

Abut what I said in the past I would have to go back and check, I will be honest I used to be quite cocky with my posts - I apparently still tend to be a little bit, I apologize for that however... It is just that I have done tons of research, and over the last 2 years have had nobody prove anything to me regarding the speed signal. The only hard eveidence I have, although limited is the service manuals that I have on DVD. I hate to say it, but even though blackhats responses are well thought out and sound like he knows what he is talking about there has been no links to this information, no documentation. My point is things can get convoluted and watered down when it is "here say" and that is what I am worried about when black hat tells me all about the items we are discussing.

All I know is I have been running my truck with my speed correction device just behind the cluster. I have never had a problem and do not forsee a problem with running it this way. I may change the wiring location to see if anything changes, but like blackhat states - I do not have equipment to prove anything, so it would just have to be based on gas milege and how the tranny shifts and such. I doubt I will feel much difference.

I know other people who have ben running it this way for quite some time on their trucks, I know custom shops that will install it just behind the cluster because it is easier to get to and easier to remove if necessary. Can we all be completely wrong? Maybe so, but I am dying to find out the truth.

as for you hearing people say they dont trust me or my product because of the way I post, I do not doubt it completely but I have not found any bad post yet about me - and I hope I never do. To those people who feel angered by the post or the way I post, I urge them to email me, merc45@gmail.com. We can discuss anything they want. And when it comes down to it, they can hook the device or any speed correction device in any configeration they want - before the pcm or behind the cluster. (only 1999-2004 years, 2005 up needs to be in the engine compartment FYI) So if they are worried about the pcm getting the correct speed, no problem hook it in the engine compartment. People have asked me about all this stuff before and I tell them what I know. It goes something like this: "I have had mine hooked up behind the cluster for some time now with no issues. You can hook it up in the engine compartment but through my personal research and experimentation I have not seen the reason to do so. The device works fine in either location, so the choice is up to you (the user)."

Ive been trying to ease off a little realizing that there is a possibility that my truck does have a problem - I still do not know why others have the same problem.

Anyway thanks for reading, its a new year I do not want to spend it arguing about this stuff... if we can get some hard facts in here, be it PDF of documentation or something, you will all be amazed how fast I button lip.

Thanks again, Kenny

Quick Reply: Superlift tru-speed sensor.....anybody?