1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rear 4-bar Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Wayne! I see one major problem with me installing it myself. I don't have a welder and I can't weld. LOL.... This might be a bigger project than I thought if I have to remove the bed and all. I checked with CPP and they said the complete kit for my truck is $900.00. They said there was no bolt on kits and welding is required. They referred me to a guy who installs them, the cost of install= $3500.00 Ouch! Ed

Old 04-24-2008, 11:08 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ed, I think that if you remove just the bed wood it could be done easily enough. I,m thinking that it was removing the old crosmember and drilling for the new one that required access to the top of the frame. The coilover mounts to the rearend and c-notches were all that needed welding.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Thanks again Wayne! I think I'm going to give this a shot, but since it appears to be a project, I might wait for the winter months to do this one. I already put in a order for the ECI kit. I may call my friend who has a hotrod shop and see if maybe we can do it there? I appreciate all your help.
Ed

Old 04-25-2008, 09:25 PM
8bahead
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking for such a thread as this to see if others have benifitted a better ride from a four link suspension. I guess i wont miss my leaf spring ride one bit! Iam waiting for my four link should be here this coming week. I ordered mine from mid-fifty. Iam not a know it all, but I think removing the bed would make this job easier! I cant imagine grinding old rivets and drilling holes in the frame having to work around the bed would be a PITA! I have to drop my exhaust system too! my tail pipes go under the rear housing. But the end result will be worth it! Good Luck to Ed hope you get it done soon. Great thread all the input was positive! Bob

Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 PM
rockher_man
Elder User
Question 4-bar/link club...kinda wordy...

I got an old friend that has offered his help...we lost touch for a while but just recently ran into each other & he FREAKED when I showed him some pics of the '56 effie...he works about 2 miles away, in Dearborn, MI. at the Ford Dyno Lab ( 20 yrs+) & his brother retired from the same gig years ago & dad was a 35 yr. Ford dude now retired from the SAME DYNO LAB...

MAN YOU SHOULD'E SEEN THAT GARAGE...dad & bro drive '32 & 34 coupes respectively... one with a big block & one with a dual quad Boss 302...the 3 dudes are serious rodders...my buddy had the most rightous '70 big-block Mach I...dad just got a new Heidts MII IFS in HIS coupe...they've been roddin' like this long before I met them back in 1977...

Dad thinks the 4-bar & panhard bar is kool idea for my little 3250 lb.truck!

Says it should a launch like a rocket-ship with the correct spring/shock
set-up together with the TCI MII IFS...he asked why I didn't go with Heidts
and I just told him to keep in mind that this was "supposed" to be a "low" budget build & he just laughed & said "aren't they all?"...

Even though the effie already has a "seasoned" '70 or '71 302 & C4 (we're still not of the motor #'s yet!) I'd like to eventually go with an AOD...he's keepin' he eyes & ears open for any "neat" or "strange" induction set-ups he may be able to get his hands on for me...ya know how it is...not so much what ya know as it is WHO......point is...I've been offered some serious FORD assistance...

Believe me..these dudes have the connections...

Anyway...my question is...HOW much VERTICLE adjustment, with coilovers, do you guys get with your 4-bars...or 4-links...& HOW easy are the adjustment to make???

PLUS...I just wanted to THANK: 8bahead, B/B Ford, imlowr2, 53fatfndr, fatfenders56, 55 f350, 53 effie, twise, dstruble, Number Dummy, havi, flatheadjohn, and ALL the rest of my Blue Oval FRIENDS...

You have NO idea how MUCH you are helping us ( me & The_Girl ) in this, MY first ground-up build...and with a relatively new diagnosis (less than 2 yrs. treated) of VERY aggressive MS.

It really means alot to us. Thats all I wanted to say...I know I can be a pain in the ***...so help us complete this truck & and we look forward to meeting
ALL of youse & buyin' ya a at a rally soon...damn it...your gettin' me all misty.......light the fires & smoke the tires...PEACE...

Old 09-06-2008, 03:32 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

No problem, we all like to help when we can.

As far a height adjustment goes, with my set up I have three mounting holes with the bottom being the lowest setting, then the other two are in increments of 1". So I guess I,m saying that there is 2' of height adjustment. I currently am using the middle setting on mine.
The setting is easy to do, you just move the lower shock mounting bolt to the next hole you choose.(after jacking the rear end up)

Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 AM
jm ray
Senior User
the chrome on the shocks and the panhard bar bracket will look good for about a week. then it rusts and will peel off. or mine did anyway. the coil overs are trash .shaft rusted and cause them to leak oil.$400.or more to replace. money well spent? i like the rest of the kit..my12 year old 4 wheeler as coil overs that have never rusted. just my luck i guess.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:20 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

jm ray, what company did you get your kit from? Mine is T.C.I. and i have had it for several years now with no coil over problems. I didn't get the chrome 4 bar kit so I can't speak to that.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:14 PM
JBravo
Senior User
just chiming in... I'll get my Heidt's Classic truck 4-link tomorrow... I have a bare stripped frame and a fresh 9 inch waiting to meet one another...

JB