2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cai

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
torino_gt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the volant in mine and really liked the tones. did it help...i am sure, a lil bit. i had the edge and flowmaster already. i would say that the ram air scoop option will really make the difference though.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
torino_gt
Senior User
i had the volant in mine and really liked the tones. did it help...i am sure, a lil bit. i had the edge and flowmaster already. i would say that the ram air scoop option will really make the difference though.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wreedZ71
i am going to order a Volant. I can get one for $255.
thats a good price. just try to get one from a site sponsor if you can. it's a little world and everything comes around

I'd shy clear of the ram air tube though. you're just asking to get a slug of water in the motor with it...especially if you're 4x4. a 4x2 that never sees anything deeper than a few inches of water would probably be safe though

Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 PM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
OK i have been doing alot of reading and it seems the guys say if you are running a Edge keep the truck totally stock, NO CAI or exhaust. They say you can run a CAI but you need a Troyer tune. They say the CAI and Edge will lean the truck out. and cause damage over time.

I really like the Edge and dont want to get rid of it for a one man tune. I like the finanical backing of a big company like Edge.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by FTE Ken; 11-27-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by wreedZ71
OK i have been doing alot of reading and it seems the guys say if you are running a Edge keep the truck totally stock, NO CAI or exhaust. They say you can run a CAI but you need a Troyer tune. They say the CAI and Edge will lean the truck out. and cause damage over time.

I really like the Edge and dont want to get rid of it for a one man tune. I like the finanical backing of a big company like Edge.

Your thoughts?
you can have the financial backing of SCT if you want... bigger company and WAY bigger tuner network. damn near every city has a dyno shop that can tune SCT or even diablo. i was wondering how locked down he edge was, and it appears it is pretty limited compared to the other tuners.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 11-27-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:35 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not exactly. Edge is part of MSD, a huge company in comparison with MSD Ignition, Superchips, Edge Products and Racepak under its belt. SCT is a much smaller company.

I'd say Edge's financial backing is going to be much better, and they haven't changed warrantee terms on pre-existing customers the way SCT did (they greatly reduced it from 1 year to 90 days, and if you bought a unit previously under the 1 year term, tough luck). Edge has a 1 year warranty. Ultimately, the only financial backing you're going to have with SCT is the backing of the guy doing the tune. If he screws it up his shop is responsible, not SCT.

As far as custom tuning goes, yes, SCT does have a bigger network, since Edge is not considered a custom tuning device. The Edge actually has more features than many tuners, but the bottom line for many people is not the feature set, but rather the tuning. With Edge you are limited to the off-the shelf tuning it includes plus and tweaks it allows.

Not all CAI's require custom tuning. If they have the MAF positioned properly they get a correct reading and will work fine. The problem is the design of the current MAF makes it sensitive to curves and positioning in the intake track.

So, while both companies make good products, they both have different intended end-customers.

If you do decide to go with custom tuner, Troyer is a good choice.

Last edited by FTE Ken; 11-27-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
DaMole
Posting Guru
Listen to Ken above me. He knows what he is talking about when it comes to tuning.

If you were purchasing the Volant then the edge will do great. Same with an exhaust. There is an intake that I know of, that is probably where you are getting those answers from. I believe it is the AIR FORCE ONE, CAI. That one is made in 2 or 3 different tube sizes. With the biggest tube (I think 3 1/2) you will need a custom tune other than the edge's canned tunes.

So don't worry with the Edge, Volant, and a exhaust. It will work great. It is the same setup on my truck. I really like the features alone of the Edge Programmer and the tunes aren't custom, but they are plenty for most people including me.