Sponsored by:

time for my 7.3 ramble

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Mikestrucks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time for my 7.3 ramble

I just bought an F Superduty Rollback with a rod hanging out the side of the engine.

I have not looked at the truck yet and will bring it home Friday when I can get it towed.

I do know it is an F450 with the strait front axle and the body is at least a 1988 but not later than a 1997 but I do not know exatly which year yet.

The guy scouting for me did say it had a 7.3 in it. But I don't know which flavor 7.3 it has yet.

I'm looking around at the different 7.3s and wondering what is the best engine to put in the truck based on what we know so far?

If the consencus is that a 94.5 - 97 powerstroke is the apex engine but I wind up having a 1988 truck, will it be a pain to set the powerstroke down in the older truck?

If it is a powerstroke but I can only find a good IDI will I be barking up the wrong tree?

If it is a 93 - 94.5 Turbo IDI am I locked into finding that specific engine?

I have questions like that spinning round my head and I know I won't be able to sleep for the next 2 nights unless I talk with people about it and get some ideas to chew over!

If I'm off on my engine info that is because I've only just now been reading up on the 7.3 on wikipedia.

I've only owned one other Ford Diesel, about 3 months ago, a 1986 F350 Rollback with the 6.9 that was beat to death and on it's last leg. Needless to say it was a bad experience and I let it go back to the guy with my down payment and considered myself lucky!

I know it sounds like I'm going down the same road, buying a truck with a rod out the side of a very expensive family of engines, but I'm an optomist...or just very desperate for a roll back!

Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 PM
littledre1
Senior User
Forget the powerstroke and put a 12v cummins in there. When my powerstroke goes that's what's going in my beast. destroked.com is a good place to start. They have motor mounts & tranny adapter plates and other stuff that you'd need.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:00 AM
Mikestrucks
Senior User
Roger that!

Now you really got my head spinning!
I just bought a 1st gen CTD and fell in love immediately but wished the engine had something more substantial around it, other than the Dodge D250.

I know where some of those B5.9 engines can be had too!
hmmmm...