Modular V10 (6.8l)  

dieselpower v10 vs 6.4 powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:32 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
I won't be too demeaning on you............mostly because I used to believe like you.(wrong)

Then FTE member Cleatus12R set me straight.

http://www.4wheelpartsadventures.co..._oldiron_01.asp

"The 6.9L engine was a special development from IH for Ford and it’s interesting trivia to note that the 6.9L was actually a diesel conversion of a late ’70s IH 446ci gasoline V8. Before all you much-abused GM pundits start wagging fingers and clucking tongues, that gas engine was a honkin’ big industrial unit used in big trucks, so it had plenty of beef for dieselization. A turbo was debated early on, but the extra money on the sticker price for a turbo diesel was reckoned to throw it over the edge pricewise. The naturally aspirated diesel was a $2000 option at the time and the addition of a turbo would have nearly doubled that."

Unfortunately, that site doesn't come up any longer, but it is archived here at FTE.

I'll find more "evidence" if needed

I wasnt being Demeaning, Unfortunatly All i can find related to this is the website that wont come up...oddly enough im having a hard time finding anything on any International Gas engine which i know there are. I find it hard to belive that they would in the Conversion process drop the 446ci to 420ci. By all means if you have something else please share i cant find anything.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:44 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Since I could find no Info on this I went to the Horses mouth. I shot International an email mainly because now I am overly Curious.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:57 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by driximus
I wasnt being Demeaning, Unfortunatly All i can find related to this is the website that wont come up...oddly enough im having a hard time finding anything on any International Gas engine which i know there are. I find it hard to belive that they would in the Conversion process drop the 446ci to 420ci. By all means if you have something else please share i cant find anything.
I'll drop Cleatus a PM......like I said, he's the one who set me straight years ago.

Everytime I look now, the info is vague at best.

I used to quote a Navistar link stating how the PSD was 100% diesel from the ground up.....but it was shown to me that even though the 7.3's share the same bore and stroke, the PSD and idi were not related.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:17 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Yah lots of people think the Buick and GM 350's are the same but they are not the only thing they have in common is the ci's

Old 09-08-2007, 08:37 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Yah lots of people think the Buick and GM 350's are the same but they are not the only thing they have in common is the ci's

Right...... and as far as the drop in displacement concerning the 6.9 idi compared to the gasser, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was because of a slightly smaller bore for thicker cylinder walls.....we all know the fiasco that happened when IH punched it out out to 7.3.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:11 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say that as a former hopped up 7.3 owner and I have driven the 6.0 and the new 6.4, the 6.8 V-10 is a winner. All things being stock, the V-10 can hold it's own with them all. Probably the only drawback is the midrange pull on the diesels being better and that's only in comparison with the new 6.4. Even from a standing start, the V-10 hangs with the 6.4 with the 3:73 rear, and that's saying something. So far my new 2008 V-10 is much more of an engine that I thought it would be, and the truck itself is a real jewel and I'm very impressed. Believe me, if I find a fault, I'll be the first to inform this bunch.

Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by pappy19
I have to say that as a former hopped up 7.3 owner and I have driven the 6.0 and the new 6.4, the 6.8 V-10 is a winner. All things being stock, the V-10 can hold it's own with them all. Probably the only drawback is the midrange pull on the diesels being better and that's only in comparison with the new 6.4. Even from a standing start, the V-10 hangs with the 6.4 with the 3:73 rear, and that's saying something. So far my new 2008 V-10 is much more of an engine that I thought it would be, and the truck itself is a real jewel and I'm very impressed. Believe me, if I find a fault, I'll be the first to inform this bunch.
Pappy, I couldn't agree with you more and having owned a 95 and 2000 7.3, I can tell you my 05 V10 out pulls both of those trucks and that is more than I expected. My 04 sick litre and my V10 are more closely matched in tow power but the V10 has been 100 % reliable up to this point where my sick-oh lived down to it's reputatuion and loved being towed in. When your truck is sitting dead on the road, a power wheel chair can out pull it, so relability is number one and the V10 wins......YES!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Wrenchtraveller
Pappy, I couldn't agree with you more and having owned a 95 and 2000 7.3, I can tell you my 05 V10 out pulls both of those trucks and that is more than I expected. My 04 sick litre and my V10 are more closely matched in tow power but the V10 has been 100 % reliable up to this point where my sick-oh lived down to it's reputatuion and loved being towed in. When your truck is sitting dead on the road, a power wheel chair can out pull it, so relability is number one and the V10 wins......YES!
You hit the nail on the head here.
Reliability in the reason I'm driving a V10.
I have absolutely no worries about hitching it up and driving it anywhere.
I have been seriously watching the new 6.4 threads and milage discussions.
Seems to me the 6.4 gets little better than what I'm driving, maybe worse in some circumstances. And I do not want to own one of those beasts out of warranty.
When it comes time, maybe next year, I most likely will be sitting in another V10. And I have zero worries about buying one out of warranty, go figure........
Only I want an 05 or newer 3 valve this time.

Last edited by Ricohman; 09-09-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 AM
driximus
Posting Guru

i havent drove the any of the new 3v V-10's but have driven some 2000's and 01's honestly that was the most disappointing motor i have ever felt. My buddy had a 2000 F-250 with the 5.4 and it felt like it had more then any of the v-10's i drove.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
i havent drove the any of the new 3v V-10's but have driven some 2000's and 01's honestly that was the most disappointing motor i have ever felt. My buddy had a 2000 F-250 with the 5.4 and it felt like it had more then any of the v-10's i drove.
Your right, the 5.4 is obviously the better choice for the Super Duty platform.........

Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Im not saying it should be but his truck which only had a K/N air filter Pulled away from the V-10 i was in. Like i said though i havent driven the 3v V-10's. If I was gonna take a V-10 from those years i would take the Dodge v-10 for those years vs a Ford v-10. if i was going for strait engines. Ill stick to my 7.3 though

Old 09-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Im not saying it should be but his truck which only had a K/N air filter Pulled away from the V-10 i was in. Like i said though i havent driven the 3v V-10's. If I was gonna take a V-10 from those years i would take the Dodge v-10 for those years vs a Ford v-10. if i was going for strait engines. Ill stick to my 7.3 though
You are right agin.
A 5.4 will outperform any 2V V10 all day long in a SuperDuty truck.........
And the Dodge is a waaay better truck, especially the Dodge tranny's. And the Dodge V10 is obviously a better motor than the Triton series................
Ok. I am laughing to hard to keep typing!

Last edited by Ricohman; 09-09-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:48 PM
driximus
Posting Guru

Yah and your inability to Read wears thin. Once again you have decided to make assumptions. So let me be clear try reading slow.......

The 2 Valve v-10 motor is hardly anything to be impressed over. I have never liked the 5.4 from the time it came out to current. they lack *****. I said the dodge V-10 is a far better V-10 for those years. I never said i liked the truck, the transmission or the tire valve stems. Pay attention and try to keep up with the converstion. Add something intelligent or some information, maybe people will take you serious. and if you cannot do this I suggest going back and just reading if you cannot add something useful maybe you can learn somthing.

Last edited by driximus; 09-09-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:20 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I smell a troll.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:04 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Yah and your inability to Read wears thin. Once again you have decided to make assumptions. So let me be clear try reading slow.......

The 2 Valve v-10 motor is hardly anything to be impressed over. I have never liked the 5.4 from the time it came out to current. they lack *****. I said the dodge V-10 is a far better V-10 for those years. I never said i liked the truck, the transmission or the tire valve stems. Pay attention and try to keep up with the converstion. Add something intelligent or some information, maybe people will take you serious. and if you cannot do this I suggest going back and just reading if you cannot add something useful maybe you can learn somthing.
Yes...smells like a troll.

Obviously this guy likes bits and pieces of a truck. Like the Dodge V10 over the FORD V10? Wow...that is a statement. Only problem...is the FORD V10 is a TRUCK engine...while the Dodge V10 is a car engine. Go get yourself a car...and be done with it.

biz

Quick Reply: dieselpower v10 vs 6.4 powerstroke