Sponsored by:

6.0 or 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 01:54 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dc3655
I'd recommend the 6L over the 7.3L. Yeah, the 7.3 is revered as the most reliable, but some of us have differing opinions. I now have 42k miles on my 05 and it hasn't needed anything in terms of repairs. I previously had a 7.3L and by the time I hit 42k miles, it had been in the shop 4 or 5 times (I can't remember exactly) for new injectors, relays, and an ECM. My 7.3L was chipped and my 6L stock would outpull it. Now that I have my 6L tuned, it will walk all over the 7.3L in terms of towing and the truck is just a much better truck now. Just run an OASIS first and if there hasn't been anything wrong yet, it's probably going to keep on the same track. Good luck.
i dont see why people cant seem to understand this. you are so right :

go buy a 7.3, then do all the common bolt on's and chip, now you have a truck that would be hard pressed to keep up with a STOCK 6.0 ! !

Old 08-26-2007, 01:57 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
And if you want to have a real towing war with a Duramax, just find a big summit on a hot day and you'll win most of the races based on the fact that the Duramax has such a hard time not overheating. And forget adding any power to the Allison tranny, it can't take any additional power without upgrading the tranny first. We've found all these things out with my dad's new Duramax. But hey, it does ride nice when it's not loaded down.
that depends on the duramax... my buddy is a chevy tech. there were x amount of blocks that had a casting defect that would inhibit water flow. if your truck didnt have this defect it would never overheat, if your truck did have this defect, it would always overheat.
let me tell you, the dmax's have been my biggest thorn in my side here. i haven't come across a single dodge here that has beaten me, but the dmax has a big following in vegas, and i need more powerstroke guys to mod up !!

Old 08-26-2007, 02:09 PM
dc3655
Elder User
Kenworth, that's a good observation about the low-end power. They did put the VGT turbo on the 6L to try an alleviate part of the problem, but it still doesn't make the low-end torque that the 7.3L and others make. I will say that the tuner did help the low-end significantly though on the 6L.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:30 PM
dc3655
Elder User
LvTitan, that's interesting about the casting defect because it is a well-known fact that the Duramax's, especially the LLY's had significant numbers of overheating issues and it just so happens that my dad's is one of them. Have you asked the D-max owners that you're up against how much they've had to improve the Allison to be able to take the additional power of motor? My friend pumped up the power on his Duramax and completely ate up his tranny in 5k miles. It's kind of interesting that the Allison tranny is the weak link (cooling issues and front end issues aside) in the Duramax trucks. If I was still in Vegas, I'd help ya out. But it's true, I never had any problems with the Dodges there either.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:34 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 429 Likes on 286 Posts
I found the casting defect an interesting one too -- lots of folks on the Dmax board I spent a couple years on chasing every notion of why the LLYs overheated. Read a lot of excellent and very technical diagnosis that was tried, including all forms of flow/pressure testing on known overheaters, and nobody could ever seem to pinpoint it on that theory (tho it was one often brought up). The best solution was to add a second radiator below and horizontal under the 1st. It was a crackerbox solution. but it worked (and it voided your warrantee too)....

Count me in the "I could OH my LLY anytime I wanted to camp" (and unfortunately often when I didn't).

I've had a 7.3psd as well and have zero complaints on that truck, but the 6.0 and TS trans is just so much more refined...

Old 08-26-2007, 04:02 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
LvTitan, that's interesting about the casting defect because it is a well-known fact that the Duramax's, especially the LLY's had significant numbers of overheating issues and it just so happens that my dad's is one of them. Have you asked the D-max owners that you're up against how much they've had to improve the Allison to be able to take the additional power of motor? My friend pumped up the power on his Duramax and completely ate up his tranny in 5k miles. It's kind of interesting that the Allison tranny is the weak link (cooling issues and front end issues aside) in the Duramax trucks. If I was still in Vegas, I'd help ya out. But it's true, I never had any problems with the Dodges there either.
one of my best friends has a c/c 2wd duramax. he buids drag race cars and is into racing, his dmax is the reason i keep doing mods to my PS. it's a big D!CK measuring contest mostly. he did eat up his stock converter after having 1600 miles on his truck. He put an ATS 5 disc converter, and now it handles the power okay, the main tranny issues with his is that it 'freaks out' with all of the extra power, and decide which gear to be in, as soon as he floors it, the tires will spin and the tranny will shift up/down/up/down/up down etc... it doesnt stay in a gear long enough to get a good pass.
i've driven with him and it is very annoying trying to race that truck, when he finally does it to stay in a higher gear, like on the freeway, it pulls very good and is a strong truck, but it's useless on the street with the tranny set up as it is. maybe if he got one of those copilot things to control the tranny, but as far as the actual tranny internals not being able to handle the horsepower, he hasnt had that problem. i've spoke with a couple people i know with dmax's and they are all reporting pretty much the same problems. is this along of the lines of what you've heard when it comes to their tranny woes ?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:04 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
yes the torqshift is so much better than the 4r100 that is reason alone. i have upgraded the internal frictions and steels in my 5r110 as well as a killer converter and it handles everything i throw at it. and i drive it like i stole it !

Old 08-27-2007, 01:02 AM
dc3655
Elder User
My friend that completely shredded his Allison tranny has so much money that he didn't look into what was wrong, but he did tell me that the Chevy dealership had to order him an entirely new tranny, that his old one couldn't even be rebuilt. Another guy who I talked to said much along the same lines in that when he added 65 hp, his truck couldn't figure out which way was up and so he had to upgrade to the TransGo kit. It was a minor fix until he got a new programmer with race files and then he had to get a complete tranny upgrade with a new torque converter from SunCoast. He said that even with that $3k spent in upgrades, it still struggles to find it's gearing when towing heavy loads. I just thought that was funny because at the time I was running a 65 hp towing box that did nothing for my TorqShift and yet it towed my 30' trailer just fine over some huge summits in Northern California. After all that, I'm just very impressed with the TorqShift transmission and I truly feel that it's the best on the market right now! All the more reason to get a 6L PSD!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:06 PM
96psdiesel
New User
Originally Posted by Kenworth
I have had a 7.3 it was a 95 mind you with 235hp the 03 6.0 I have has 100hp more so I do notice the difference. The difference I notice between the 7.3 and the 6.0 is getting rolling power. The 7.3 has more power to get rolling than the 6.0 but once the 6.0 is rolling the 7.3 would never come close.

I think the 6.0 low end power has to do with the emissions crap. My truck has a 6spd manual so it takes a little more work getting the truck rolling. I have 4:30 gears so they are a little on the tall side but they do the job.

95 7.3L was only rated at 215hp not 235hp. But they are still far superior to any 6L powerjoke, you have to keep them running to outpull anything. Good luck keeping your head gaskets and head bolts in tact long enough

Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 PM
07psdrookie
Senior User
Originally Posted by 96psdiesel
95 7.3L was only rated at 215hp not 235hp. But they are still far superior to any 6L powerjoke, you have to keep them running to outpull anything. Good luck keeping your head gaskets and head bolts in tact long enough
I don't think this was supposed to be a s*%t talking session about which is better. Yes the 6.0 has had its problems, and yes, the 7.3 did too. Theres NO arguing that. My stock 6.0 destroys my buddies Edged 7.3.....off the light, onto the freeway, up the pass, towing, everywhere. Yet I still like both! And.....I've had no head/headgasket problems whatsoever. There are good engines and bad engines, whichever the displacement.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 96psdiesel
those are harsh words there...
"you have to keep them running to outpull" .. what does this even mean ??
mine keeps running w/no problems. and it runs well, and it may be a powerjoke to you, but we'll see who's laughing when you're eating my smoke ...
and for the record i was well past 440HP on stock head bolts for many many miles and i still have factory head gaskets... and they don't show any signs of weakness w/over 800ft lbs

Old 01-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everybody forgets how many problems the 7.3 PSD especially when they first came out and the diesel techs didn't realize how many problems the CPS caused when they started failing. The HUEI injectors had problems with misfiring from oil frothing.

The 7.3 is good but you drive a 6.0 and see how much quieter it is and how much more top end power.

Don't bash a 6.0 if you never owned one or driven one. I have had both and still have my 6.0 and so far love ever minute of it

Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM
LvTitan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 07psdrookie
I don't think this was supposed to be a s*%t talking session about which is better. Yes the 6.0 has had its problems, and yes, the 7.3 did too. Theres NO arguing that. My stock 6.0 destroys my buddies Edged 7.3.....off the light, onto the freeway, up the pass, towing, everywhere. Yet I still like both! And.....I've had no head/headgasket problems whatsoever. There are good engines and bad engines, whichever the displacement.
i totally agree, we're ALL ford PSD owners we should be on the same side i thought....
are there some lemon 6.0 motors out there ? of course no one denies that.
are there some lemon 7.3 motors ? not nearly as many that i know of, but yes
is the torqshift a better tranny than the 4r100 ? in every way possible

i understand 96PSD is partial to 7.3, but it's obvious the reason is because he owns one... i believe the reason he is SOO obviously bitter is because he is jealous that he doesn't have a 6.0.. that's what people do, they get defensive and badmouth something else because they dont have it and they want it..
HERE ARE SOME SIMPLE FACTS: and 07rookie was right.
take a 7.3L PSD and put an exhaust on it. then straight pipe it. go ahead and throw an intake on there too. i'm not sure what chip is best, but put an edge, or a dp, or SCT, or whatever other module on there that is available out of the back of a magazine.
now take that 7.3 that has all the "usual suspects" of mods done to it and stage it up against a bone stock 6.0 of comparable body style. now run them down the track..
anyone care to guess who won ?? those of you who said 6.o were right. was it a killing ? no, but it was obvious...
but just to drive my point home a little more, lets take that 6.0 and put an exhaust on it. now lets put an sct on it. go ahead and leave the intake stock.
lets run them again... chances are good the 6.0 is back in the pits and enjoying a frosty beverage while 7.3guy is pulling into the turnout...

96 there was no reason to bash the better rig just because you dont have one. the OP asked which was better, just because your rig didnt fall into the category that answered this question, you can still give credit where it is due.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:04 PM
96psdiesel
New User
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by LvTitan
those are harsh words there...
"you have to keep them running to outpull" .. what does this even mean ??
mine keeps running w/no problems. and it runs well, and it may be a powerjoke to you, but we'll see who's laughing when you're eating my smoke ...
and for the record i was well past 440HP on stock head bolts for many many miles and i still have factory head gaskets... and they don't show any signs of weakness w/over 800ft lbs
I gotta love ignorance from the peanut gallery, when ford/navistar makes the 6.0 for 8.5 years then we'll talk, oh wait they already replaced after 4yrs. So just keep talking your s%*t.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 PM
07psdrookie
Senior User
Good luck building a reputation with dumba$$ posts like that dude.....especially with 11 POSTS!!!! Go back to Yahoo chats.

Quick Reply: 6.0 or 7.3