2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the EDGE EVOLUTION really make this much power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a good point, but for $599 you could get the SCT LiveWire, which is custom tuned AND has the all the display goodies

Old 07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
slf06150
Junior User
Talking

Custom tuning is the best way to get the most power torque and gas mileage out of your truck. I have heard that the edge is cool; however it is not as effective as custom tuning. I Have 3 custom tunes and the stock factory tune. One of my friends has 06 Lariat with the Edge, I have and 05 Fx4, I can wave bye-bye to him from start finish he was not to happy about it. I have had mine tuned twice, once right after I bought it, then again after I added a Volant and a true dual exhaust with magnaflows. Of course having a friend who does SCT custom tuning for is living is an advantage.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:17 PM
MeanGene1
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Jusnes
Thats a good point, but for $599 you could get the SCT LiveWire, which is custom tuned AND has the all the display goodies
By custom tunning you mean that a unique configuration done is a shop on a dyno that can be downloaded into the LiveWire? Otherwise I don't see the difference.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
The difference between a tune that is written for any Ford F150 and one that is written for a specific configuration, with a specific calibration code, using specific mods? Any common mods that have been done have already been dyno tested by BamaChips, and the tweaks can be made to a mail order tune, based on dyno tuning another truck.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 AM
MeanGene1
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bob Jusnes
The difference between a tune that is written for any Ford F150 and one that is written for a specific configuration, with a specific calibration code, using specific mods? Any common mods that have been done have already been dyno tested by BamaChips, and the tweaks can be made to a mail order tune, based on dyno tuning another truck.
I guess my question boils down to what defines a custom tune over, for the lack of a better word, a canned tune. Meaning that one is created for a VIN number and the latter for a model number.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:17 AM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
And another question, with the edge you can unplug and reset before taking the truck to the dealer for service, therefore they would have no knowledge of a tuner.
How does the bama tune work inregards to "going back to stock" before taking the truck to a dealer.
Thanks Bob

Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MeanGene1
I guess my question boils down to what defines a custom tune over, for the lack of a better word, a canned tune. Meaning that one is created for a VIN number and the latter for a model number.
A canned tune is like an Ege Evo or a Diablo that is an off the shelf tune for all 4.6 and 5.4 04-07 F150s.A custom tune is made for a specific truck made to support specific mods.And it also changes some parameters that canned tunes don't change.Some CAI kits require a custom tune.

FWIW I love my Edge Evo and am happy with the gains I have gotten over the stock tune with my edge and CAI.However some people feel the need to squeeze every bit of horsepower possible out of their trucks so they get custom tunes.Either way it's still a big heavy slow truck.But a tune will make it more responsive and perform a lot better than stock.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 AM
MeanGene1
Junior User
I guess I should just say what's on my mind. I am thinking about adding an SC to my vehicle in the future. They come with there own "Custom Tunes". What device could I use that would allow me to use that Custom Tune and varients that would work with that setup, like towing and perfromance modes. In addition, have visability to tranny temp and the like.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:07 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MeanGene1
I guess I should just say what's on my mind. I am thinking about adding an SC to my vehicle in the future. They come with there own "Custom Tunes". What device could I use that would allow me to use that Custom Tune and varients that would work with that setup, like towing and perfromance modes. In addition, have visability to tranny temp and the like.
Which SC?
I know that a Roush charger comes with a kind of conservative tune and a lot of people have them custom tuned to get more horses out of them.But changing the tune would probably void the warranty.

You could install a tranny temp gauge for cheap, or get a dashhawk or edge for the gauges only(not cheap).

Last edited by NASSTY; 07-15-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Bob Jusnes
Elder User
Depending on the blower setup you get, BamaChips has dyno tuned a few of them, and could provide "mail order" custom tuning that will tweak things here and there to optimize the truck for what you need.

Most superchargers that come with their own tuning, will boost performance some, but their main purpose is to correct the A/F ratios for the blower, so there is still room for impovment. As far as a blower, I would not use an edge to alter the tuning, though it could be used for the gauges.

The BamaChips tuner will also reset your truck to stock. Some people who have attached the EDGE to their dash have reported problems physically removing it when they have to take it in for warranty work. A lot of people get around this by using velcro.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:53 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

I just bought the Edge from Bob Last week. Got it in time for my weekend run pulling a flat front enclosed motorcycle trailer. Being able to monitor the tranny temp and thus being able to tow in OD gained me 2-3 MPG on the weekend trip of about 300 miles round trip. I really like the 4-up display and being able to watch different specs on the fly. I was not as interested in having the absolutely best tune, but in boosting performance and keeping my truck safe and not harming it for the long run.

BTW..... Thanks Bob for the rush shipping, I love my Edge.