1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your HUBS....They might be LOCKED!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:03 PM
redford
Received 1,573 Likes on 920 Posts
Originally Posted by DoorKicker
I have never seen a thread that talked about how they were having problems with the shifter on the floor........
Actually, I started on way earlier this year. My new '07 would grind something terrible when going into 4H whether stopped or going. It took about a week, but it eventually loosened up.

In that thread we discovered that the manual system is called MSOS, or Manual Shift On Stop......but we all agreed you do not have to stop to engage 4H if your hubs are locked, even if the manual says otherwise.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Aatcntrl1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I just got my ex back from the dealer. They had the thing for two weeks putting in my Hypermax head gaskets and ARP head studs (by the way, anyone in the Central Valley Ca. looking for a dealer that will work with you, PM me) ANyways as a courtesy they checked the front end for popping. They said my ball joints were tore up. I was a little suprised with a pampered truck with only 40k on it. ANyways under extended warranty they replaced them. Steers nice, no wonder and such. However the popping is still there. I checked the cv joint and I can spin it. Is it possible it's still catching?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Kentucky250screw
New User
Hi everyone, have had my SD a year,2003 bought used. I put on about 20k no problems with auto 4X4. I have used it enough times if there were going to be problems they would have showed up by now. I used the manual ones years ago and are a pita, call me lazy but I like the auto ones alot. Just my two cents worth, enjoy the site, like all the comments on different subjects. Have been a mechanic for years, and like getting my tools out.
2003 sd screw 4x4 5.4 all factory stock 78.5k (not even broke in yet)

Last edited by Kentucky250screw; 07-08-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 PM
dbtolman
New User
Still doing it!

TIme to revive this, I guess.

So, I replaed my lockers with Mile Marker hubs, all stainless. After a couple days, I'd be driving and POP, POP, POP just going straight. So, I locked the hubs and it doesn't happen anymore. I guess something is sitll binding up? It's coming from passenger side.

What could be next?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by dbtolman
I've got a 99 SD with manual hubs and a floor lever, and 3.73 diffs (don't know if they're LSD/POSI, or not.) I heard the clicking when I first bought it and assumed it was normal (felt same thing in numerous Jeeps over the years.) My hubs are the plastic ones with no marks on them anymore. I assume they are Locked/Unlocked type instead of Locked/Auto, since I don't have ESOF.

Anyways... When I finally discovered that I could unlock them, I didn't check the driveshaft afterwards. I drove a couple days, and felt some binding, which would go away when I moved the steering wheel slightly. I locked the hubs, and it didn't happen anymore, then I unlocked a few days later and drove for a week before I heard and felt the binding again. When I got out, I got under the truck and turned the front shaft, only to discover that one side is locked and the other side isn't. I guess my hub is frozen? I locked both hubs again, and the binding went away after a sharp u-turn in each direction and it's been fine since. Question is... Did I just totally fry my front differential? How likely is it that once I replace the locking hub assemblies, I'll be just fine and won't have to touch the diff?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
cj11302000
New User
I agree

I had the same problem on my 99 F250 super duty with the ESOF hubs. I felt the truck "crabbing" at slow speeds on corners and it felt at times like it was in four wheel drive during routine driving. The hubs became so frozen, I couldn't switch them from Auto to Lock without pliers. I found the post on this forum that tells you how to disassemble and clean, which I did and it didn't help. I finally picked up some WARN hubs and the problem is gone. I'll bet I'll get better gas mileage and save my tires some wear!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 AM
gtmustang00
Senior User
can't you just shift it on the fly in drive?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
castrol
Junior User
Do you guys bother to do the old "back in reverse for 10 to 20 feet" after disengaging
the 4x4? That was an old trick I was taught a LONG time ago. I have never had a
problem with my hubs staying locked. Even with the auto hubs. Give it a shot.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
pony
Senior User
Everyone....there is a TSB on this problem TSB 04-18-5

Old 02-04-2008, 04:55 PM
dbtolman
New User
I'd seen this TSB, but I don't have issues with my hubs disengaging when they are engaged. It's the opposite. When they are disengaged, the passenger side seems to want to re-engage.

If I am driving with the hubs unlocked, I experience a popping noise when driving in a straight line, when turing around curves, when making a turn, etc... If I am going straight, all I have to do is slightly yank the wheel to the right and the popping stops.

I replaced the lockers, and the passenger side components were VERY VERY dry. My fear is that another part is damaged on this side, but I don't know what's next in line to break after the hub locker fails. Another note: I can tell someone used pliers to try to unlock or lock the passenger side at one point... I fear the PO never bothered to service the front end on this thing...

I don't have a good understanding of how the 4WD system on this truck works, or how the hubs engage/disengage. I'm smart and can fix anything, once I understand it... Just need a little help getting started here... I appreciate anything anyone can offer to help!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:56 PM
dbtolman
New User
Forgot to mention. It's a 99 F250 Super Duty, with full manual hubs, auto tranny, and floor shifter for the txfr case.

Originally Posted by dbtolman
I'd seen this TSB, but I don't have issues with my hubs disengaging when they are engaged. It's the opposite. When they are disengaged, the passenger side seems to want to re-engage.

If I am driving with the hubs unlocked, I experience a popping noise when driving in a straight line, when turing around curves, when making a turn, etc... If I am going straight, all I have to do is slightly yank the wheel to the right and the popping stops.

I replaced the lockers, and the passenger side components were VERY VERY dry. My fear is that another part is damaged on this side, but I don't know what's next in line to break after the hub locker fails. Another note: I can tell someone used pliers to try to unlock or lock the passenger side at one point... I fear the PO never bothered to service the front end on this thing...

I don't have a good understanding of how the 4WD system on this truck works, or how the hubs engage/disengage. I'm smart and can fix anything, once I understand it... Just need a little help getting started here... I appreciate anything anyone can offer to help!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:05 PM
schultz
New User
dump the shift on the fly & go with warn manual hubs you will be happy

Old 02-04-2008, 09:53 PM
brwolfjr
Elder User
is it possible the po had a l/s installed in the front?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Bulldog68
Senior User
Originally Posted by castrol
Do you guys bother to do the old "back in reverse for 10 to 20 feet" after disengaging
the 4x4? That was an old trick I was taught a LONG time ago. I have never had a
problem with my hubs staying locked. Even with the auto hubs. Give it a shot.
I was just reading this post and I was about to post the same thing. My Uncle has a '97 powerstroke 4x4 with automatic hubs. This is how he unlocks his. Just back up down the street a ways and they should free up.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
walleyeman
Mountain Pass
I do beleive that the older hubs required a backup to disengage. They operated on a cam in the hub. The newer ones do not.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Gmeanie
Senior User
I never feel a clunk cluck?
It is more like an extreme wobble when in 4X4.

Quick Reply: Check your HUBS....They might be LOCKED!