Oil & Lubrication  

Synthetic DOT 3 brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Dot3 fluid is everywhere. Now that its warm I need to flush my brake system. Picked up 3 quarts of Penray super heavy duty dot3 dry boiling point is 450 deg, wet is 284.

Brake fluid is one of my pet peeves.
And something this is neglected in lots of mechanics shops also. So many people pay to have new pads, rotors and etc put on but the shop doesn't bother flushing the brake system. Guess its partly because the customer will whine about the extra cost.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
Dot3 fluid is everywhere. Now that its warm I need to flush my brake system. Picked up 3 quarts of Penray super heavy duty dot3 dry boiling point is 450 deg, wet is 284.

yes it is everywhere... but if your car/trucks specs call for High Performance Motorcraft DOT3 the off the shelf stuff wont compare to it... highest ive found around here in the stores is valvoline's version meant for both dot 3 and dot 4.. but highest its rated for is 480*F... HP motorcrafts (part number PM1C) is rated to 550*F.. so not all dot 3 fluids are equal... most are only made to meet the national specs and not the mfg specs.... need to get my stangs done cuz i managed to boil it recently cuz of some brake issues ive been having...

Originally Posted by dkf
And something this is neglected in lots of mechanics shops also. So many people pay to have new pads, rotors and etc put on but the shop doesn't bother flushing the brake system. Guess its partly because the customer will whine about the extra cost.
i do agree it is something most people over look and forget about... but i think the reason most shops dont do it is cuz theyd rather have it done separately so they can charge you more to do it lol.. yes it does break down over time like all the other fluids in the cars/trucks.. but its closer to being like the gear lube in the axles... just isnt needed done as often as other things do...

Old 03-21-2010, 08:18 PM
dkf
Hotshot
I'm just going to run the stuff I got. Forgot to say it says exceeds 450 deg dry and min 284 deg. I wouldn't put it past the OEs to purposely recommend a fluid that is above general industry specs so you buy their fluid. I'm not convinced all OE ford parts and fluids are the best of the best either, I've found that out with the OE pads on my SD they perform poorly compared to some aftermarket pads.

You boiling fluid in that stang at the bottom of your posts? What are you doing with it, looks stock?

Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by dkf
I'm just going to run the stuff I got. Forgot to say it says exceeds 450 deg dry and min 284 deg. I wouldn't put it past the OEs to purposely recommend a fluid that is above general industry specs so you buy their fluid.
if it wasnt for the fact they said it needed high performance fluid i wouldnt of cared about putting the lower grades in.. but because it did im gonna try and meet what the mfg recomends for minimum back in...

Originally Posted by dkf
You boiling fluid in that stang at the bottom of your posts? What are you doing with it, looks stock?
wasnt on purpose... and it is... but a recent brake jobs caused my issues... changed the pads on it and tried to leave town.. didnt realize it when i started out but my front brakes were dragging... hotter they got the more drag occured... 20 mins out at highway speeds the problem started showing itself... drove back on the city streets... when i did the brake job my fluid was clear as could be... opened the hood 2 days later (when it finnally stopped raining) to find my fluids now black as tar... all the heat transmitted through the calipers boiled it...

Old 03-21-2010, 08:36 PM
dkf
Hotshot
I can understand why you want to meet the manual specs. Not trying to argue or anything just curious as to why your fluid boiled.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by dkf
I can understand why you want to meet the manual specs. Not trying to argue or anything just curious as to why your fluid boiled.
its cool... and i knew you werent trying to argue... like i said if it hadnt been for the fact they said H.P. fluids i wouldnt of cared what went in... i would have even used the low grade store brands too if it hadnt been for that... ntm i have a gallon of HD dot 3 sitting on the shelf out in the garage from when i changed all the lines on my 79 suburban i would have used..

can understand why you asked too cuz its not something that should have happened... im not happy about it happening myself either...