1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

window leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 07:58 PM
jim2000
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
window leak

check to see if the molding around the glass is cracked when you get the window out i had a 1998 f-150 with rear sliding glass the dealer had it out three time before they realized it was cracked they put a whole new window never leaked agian

Old 07-09-2001, 10:20 PM
Flailr
New User
window leak

Hi all,

I have this same problem with a leak, but am almost sure it is caused by the stop-light above my back slider window.

But, can I ask if anyone has tried high vacuum grease, not RTV ?

I would hate to use RTV, and then a couple months later need to replace a bulb or something.

Thanks,

Flailr

Old 07-11-2001, 11:04 PM
flyincrow
New User
window leak

i've had this problem with my 97 F-250 LD SC4x4.I went to the local ford dealer and talked to the bodyshop about the problem,and they told me that the only fix for the slider i had was,either replace with a non-slider,or install a new model of slider.They told me the problem with my slider was that the frame is of a three piece design,which cracks and causes the leak and the new models are a one piece design.I have not had a leak since i replaced it with a used non-slider.A new slider was way to much money for me,the non-sliders are pretty easy to find.Hope this helps.

Old 12-17-2001, 03:13 PM
eblack
New User
window leak

I have a 97 f150 extended cab and my back window leaks too. I have had it to the best glass people in Chattanooga and they couldn't fix it, so I think it's good advice to not ever buy a slider design again.
Everyone that asks me about it I just tell them not to buy that option, if Ford can't get it right and they won't fix it or admit to it, then what is a man to do. Just don't buy it.

Old 12-17-2001, 10:05 PM
flyincrow
New User
window leak

The problem with the rear window everyone is talking about has to be the frame the window goes in .My 97 F-250 LD has not had one leak around the rea window since i replaced with a non- slider.But the new style sliders have been revisited with a 1 piece frame instead of the old style 3 piece bonded frame which cracks and causes the leaks.

Old 01-18-2002, 07:49 AM
FordFool
Junior User
window leak

My 99 F-150 SC used to only drip a couple drops during the car wash. Now it's a pretty good trickle just left of the slider. I took it to the dealership and they said I have the 3 piece frame and it's cracked. They ordered the 1 piece style, still under warranty. The information you folks have posted above was very helpful.

The group is working!

Old 05-02-2002, 07:47 PM
Sergeant
New User
window leak

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-May-02 AT 08:48 PM (EST)]I recently purchased a 1997 ford f-150 stylside. I am having the same problem. when it rains it rains inside my truck. it wets my back seat. I have an appointment with the dealer i purchased it from. If anyone has any ifo on this as a recall please let me know. JDAguilar@cs.com

Old 05-03-2002, 09:00 AM
RX 1 Liter
Senior User
window leak

My 97 150 Ext Cab and my father's 97 150 Ext cab both did it as well. He caught his before warranty ran out, but I didn't. It is the frame not the light. Ford replaced his and it never happend again. I still have mine and still get a damp passenger side rear seat in heavy rains. I went rounds with Ford and they absolutely refused to do anything out of warranty. They are lucky I am so blindly loyal.

Old 09-06-2002, 10:52 AM
armypat
New User
window leak

I had the same issue. Took my truck to an auto upholstery place and talked with the manager for a while. Manager told me he had worked on over 500 Ford Trucks for this same problem--from one particular dealership--under warranty. He stated that the issue is a poorly designed window/frame and going to the one-piece (w/ the rear slider) will cure the problem (it did for his truck and mine).

By the way, I am writing from Norfolk, VA--one place where they build the F-150...

Old 09-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
window leak

Since I pulled mine and recaulked it hasn't leaked. That was over a year ago. I still have the split window and have no intention of replacing it with a solid one (it easier to throw the beer cans in the back with the split).

Seriously though they all appear to leak in the same place and a little attention to it seems to work. i.e caulk the hell out of the place where it pulls away from the body.

Old 09-15-2002, 01:21 AM
sama19582000
New User
window leak

My 97 supercab with sliding rear window leaks also, this occured after the warranty period, ford said no way on warranty repair or help with repair cost. I now keep a plastic bag on the back seat to catch the water. Thanks Ford!!!

Old 09-15-2002, 02:13 AM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
window leak

Bought my 97 used in Feb.2002.....came with a 30day/1000mile warranty..2weeks after having the truck we had a hard rain.Back window was leaking.Went back to the Ford dealer and they had a outside glass company "seal" the leak.2days later,it rained again and the leak was there again.This time the Ford dealer had the glass company put in a new aftermarket slider.Cost Ford almost 400.00.I didnt have to pay anything.

Old 09-25-2002, 08:24 PM
chadkee
New User
window leak

I have a '99 F150 SC with a sliding window. I purchased the car used and noticed a slight mildew smell. Thinking it just needed cleaning, I did not worry about it. However the smell did not go away but I never saw any leaks. I finally decided to check under the rear seat after a good rain and the carpeting was pretty wet on the passenger side. First, how can I tell where the leak is coming from on the truck, any tricks would help. Also, have any of you dealt with a mildew problem. If so, what did you do?
Thank you,
Chad

Old 09-25-2002, 11:56 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
window leak

Chad,have someone with a hose spray water on the back glass on the passengers side while you are in the truck looking for the leak.Thats the best way to reinact rain.Good luck!

Old 09-28-2002, 12:31 PM
medicmike
New User
window leak

I own a '97 F250 SC that I purchased used. Ehen I got the truck I noticed a slight smeell and thought it was the dog the previous owner had. Then it rained and I had a small leak at the rear window on the passenger side. Recently, we had three days of rain and my truck leaked a lot. Looking for help to fix it, I found this web site. Armed with your info, I called a local Ford dealer and asked if they had changed their stance on repair of this problem. They told me Ford was "helping out" peolpe with trucks with up to 70,000 miles and under 5 years. If you're having this problem, I would press the dealer to fix it. He also told me to go to an outside auto glass repairer, since I have more than 70K on my truck. He said the outside guys know the problem and have the replacements in stock and are a lot cheaper.

Quick Reply: window leak