2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 PM
BourriagueJA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Problem

Tell that to the thousands who have had the spark plugs blow threw their hood or engine going down the road... I would think that would pose a safety problem...
Here's some links to REAL safety issues...

Feds Urged to Act on Ford Spark Plug Blow-Outs - Topix
Ford F150; Spark Plug Nightmare automobile forum

Old 11-01-2010, 08:11 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BourriagueJA
Tell that to the thousands who have had the spark plugs blow threw their hood or engine going down the road... I would think that would pose a safety problem...
Here's some links to REAL safety issues...

Once again, thanks for the links, but those two links you posted are completely unrelated. The spark plug blow out problem is only on pre-04 model 2 valve engines. So which problem do you have...or do you know?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 PM
BourriagueJA
New User
First, it's a single page form that takes only a few minutes to fill out... Secondly, the links below will introduce you to the massive safety problem that this really is... going down the road and having spark plugs blowing through your hood or out of your engine is a major safety issue...

And here is what seems to be the only safe, reliable fix that I have found...
Ford Spark Plug Blow Out Problems How to Repair | Tech Articles

Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM
BourriagueJA
New User
I have a 2007 Ford F150 SuperCrew Lariat and I have the same plug problems... Who said it ended with the 2004 model...?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
I have a 2007 Ford F150 SuperCrew Lariat and I have the same plug problems... Who said it ended with the 2004 model...?
So, let me get this straight. You had a plug blow out of your truck and through the hood? And if thats the case why are posting in a thread that is about the plugs breaking off in the head? Once again, plug blow out and plugs breaking are two different issues.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:25 PM
BourriagueJA
New User
On the Topix link, see page 52 on a post by Brian nc, here is what he said...
I have a 2006 f150 with a 5.4 triton and yes I had a spark plug blow and not only 1 but 2 of them pulling my boat home from the lake. I put it in the shop on the 5 of july and now it is the 25 and still haven't got it back. They had to order a special tool and wait for it to com in. I am not looking forward to that bill when I get it. I just wish Ford would step up to the plate and stand behind there name. I was a first on race day ford man but now i am going toward fixed or repaired daily !!!

So... it's definitely still a problem with the later models...

Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 PM
BourriagueJA
New User
Also on the same page 52 is a post from Frank from New Jersey... Here is what he said...

I own a 2006 Expedition with the famous 5.4 Triton. My wife is driving home on turnpike and check engine light comes on, raw gas coming out of exhaust and engine running rough. Brought vehicle to dealer and it turns out that #6 fuel injector stuck open and hydro-locked the cylinder. Had to change the catalytic converters, plugs and now they tell me the piston rod compressed and the piston is 1/2" short from top dead center of stroke. This means I need a new engine. Ford has a customer satisfaction bulletin 07M08 which covers the 2005 Expeditions built at the Michigan plant for stuck injectors. What is described in the bulletin that could happen, did happen to my vehicle. My truck was made at the Michigan plant on June 17,2005. I contacted Ford to ask if my truck was covered and was told no only the 2005's. They won't even consider that fact that my truck has the bad injectors even thought the dealer has stated so. I have emailed and sent letters to Willam Ford Jr and Alan Mulally. I get no response. I have owned or driven Fords for over 30 years. Oh I forgot to mention, they said no to the repairs but gave me a coupon to buy a new one. Cost for repairs if I do the engine,$9,535. Where is the Ford quality.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
So... it's definitely still a problem with the later models...
No, its not. Millions of these trucks sell in various forms every year and a few isolated blowouts in post 2004 models does not constitute a national safety issue and recall. It is however, unfortunate. So, did one of your plugs blow out of your engine or not?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:33 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Also on the same page 52 is a post from Frank from New Jersey... Here is what he said...

I own a 2006 Expedition with the famous 5.4 Triton. My wife is driving home on turnpike and check engine light comes on, raw gas coming out of exhaust and engine running rough. Brought vehicle to dealer and it turns out that #6 fuel injector stuck open and hydro-locked the cylinder. Had to change the catalytic converters, plugs and now they tell me the piston rod compressed and the piston is 1/2" short from top dead center of stroke. This means I need a new engine. Ford has a customer satisfaction bulletin 07M08 which covers the 2005 Expeditions built at the Michigan plant for stuck injectors. What is described in the bulletin that could happen, did happen to my vehicle. My truck was made at the Michigan plant on June 17,2005. I contacted Ford to ask if my truck was covered and was told no only the 2005's. They won't even consider that fact that my truck has the bad injectors even thought the dealer has stated so. I have emailed and sent letters to Willam Ford Jr and Alan Mulally. I get no response. I have owned or driven Fords for over 30 years. Oh I forgot to mention, they said no to the repairs but gave me a coupon to buy a new one. Cost for repairs if I do the engine,$9,535. Where is the Ford quality.
OK, and this one has to due with a know injector issue. Ford has since agreed to cover the injectors and any damage caused by one for up to 120K miles. Once again, not the plug blow out or breaking issue. Remember, this thread is about stuck plugs. Not blown out ones, not bad injectors, but stuck two piece plugs. You've now introduced another issue. Do you have a bad injector?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM
BourriagueJA
New User
Yes, it did... and that is what caused me to start researching this in the first place...

Here is another post about a 2005 model... Page 50
I have a 2005 with 74,000 miles spark plug came apart in the engine, now the engine is blown up.

And another with a 2007 problem from the Nightmare link I gave you...
Reply #5 Richard Lecuyer (142.217.189.67) - Tue Jun 23 03:17:01 2009

This is a true problem, i am presently trying to extract the remaining three plug on the left side, they all broke i will make a reclamation against ford they have missed the design i have a 07 limited Sport-Trac with all the equipment you can buy, i am driving a lot 175k in three year, the closest dealer is about 4 hour drive i just cant wait to listen there story in court, i still believe we can still change plug on our car, looking in my truck manual they call a plug change at 150K.

even if i did use there TSB procedure to remove them they just snap, and it is not my lack of experience i am a licensed technician on ford product and past service manager at a ford dealer also i am changing this truck this month and it will be another Ford, but the plug is the only problem i hade with it, they should make a recall to there customer asap asking for the plug to be replaced and lubricated with high temp anti seize they should come with a better plug design, Champion plug have a thicker ground sleeve that should help resolve some expensive repair.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:51 PM
BourriagueJA
New User
Although the plugs in some of these are not blowing out of the engines, they are still breaking off because of poor design and materials... here's another 2006 story...
Reply #41 John (74.210.78.90) - Thu Dec 17 19:08:48 2009

Took my 06-supercrew-5.4 ltr. to a shop on a Fri. It's now Thurs. 4 plugs broke off still no truck. The Mech. is trying to do everything he can to avoid pulling the head. It's time for a class action law suit and by the way the truck has 114k and I also need 2 new hubs. was told it's also a common problem!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Although the plugs in some of these are not blowing out of the engines, they are still breaking off because of poor design and materials...
Yes...we're aware, hence this and a couple other threads on this forum...about the stuck two piece plug issue.