Sponsored by: DP Tuner

bad injectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 PM
dougwood62
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bad injectors

I have bad injectors on my 2001 F350 with the 7.3 liter. I was wondering if anyone new of a place to get rebuilt injectors or if I could get a kit and do it myself. Also I was wondering how hard it is to remove and install the injectors myself and how hard is it to rebuild them. I am pretty much wondering if it is worth the butt load of money to have someone do it.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 02:40 PM
pipelayerjdh
New User
Rosewood diesel sells a kit to do it yourself. I rebuilt/ modified mine myself. It is a little tedious, but not really difficult. In my oppinion, it is worth your time to save the extra money. If you are worried about down time, it took me about 12 hours to remove, rebuild, and replace the injectors. For a quicker turn around, new or rebuilt injectors are the way to go.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:48 PM
IDPisan
Elder User
What is the problem with the truck? Is she running rough, you've pulled some codes? Please give some details,We might be able to help ya.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:56 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
heres another site that might help you out too

http://www.dpppower.com/73-injectors.html

they have kits to do it yourself and rebuilt injectors too

Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 AM
SVLERF250PWRSTRKE
Senior User
Lightbulb

This is from 7point3.com
looks very helpful that dreadful day one of my eight boys bite the dust

http://www.thedwilsons.com/powerstroke/HEUI-Injector-Teardown-and-Assembly.html

These things look complicated, but if your careful and have the right tools it looks doable. A kit like mentioned above would probably your best DIY route

Old 02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
dougwood62
Junior User
Thanks for all you help guys. The truck takes about 3 rounds of cranking in the morning when it is first fired an I am in southern california so it never gets cold. then you have to keep your foot in to the gas for about 2 minutes before it will run in its own. Then you can't drive it for about a half an hour because it won't go over 10 MPH. It is a company truck and they took it into the dealer and they said it had 4 bad injectors and 2 that were not looking healthy. But the price was way to high for them so they said to just let it warm up a long time before driving it. So I told my work that I could change them as long as they got new injectors. so I am searching for the cheapest way for them.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
When was the last time the oil was changed?
I'm not disputing the dealer's report, but it has been reported that an oil change makes a huge difference sometimes.
Especially if there are a lot of miles on the oil.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
8tsixt
Elder User
Originally Posted by dougwood62
Thanks for all you help guys. The truck takes about 3 rounds of cranking in the morning when it is first fired an I am in southern california so it never gets cold. then you have to keep your foot in to the gas for about 2 minutes before it will run in its own. Then you can't drive it for about a half an hour because it won't go over 10 MPH. It is a company truck and they took it into the dealer and they said it had 4 bad injectors and 2 that were not looking healthy. But the price was way to high for them so they said to just let it warm up a long time before driving it. So I told my work that I could change them as long as they got new injectors. so I am searching for the cheapest way for them.
Hey i'm in socal also. Where about are you? I replaced mine for a similar issue. I replaced 1 injector and all was fine for a little while. I found a set of 8 on ebay factory ford remans for a great price and ended up replacing the other 7 injectors. While i was there i replaced all glow plugs and under valve cover harness as well. The dealer i took mine to for diag wanted almost $5k to replace the injectors!!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
me i would go new on the injectors not much of a price difference,your in and out in no time!If thats your problem!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by medhvac
me i would go new on the injectors not much of a price difference,your in and out in no time!If thats your problem!
A big ditto on this one.
Run both, the new ones are MUCH better.
But if it's a company beater, the rebuilts will get it down the road just as good.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 PM
SVLERF250PWRSTRKE
Senior User
Originally Posted by 8tsixt
Hey i'm in socal also. Where about are you? I replaced mine for a similar issue. I replaced 1 injector and all was fine for a little while. I found a set of 8 on ebay factory ford remans for a great price and ended up replacing the other 7 injectors. While i was there i replaced all glow plugs and under valve cover harness as well. The dealer i took mine to for diag wanted almost $5k to replace the injectors!!
I'd say for 5k pull the engine and put a 12 valve cummins it lol

Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM
dougwood62
Junior User
Im In T.O. I will check out ebay thanks. Also we change the oil regularly but I never thought about that thanks

Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
8tsixt
Elder User
Originally Posted by SVLERF250PWRSTRKE
I'd say for 5k pull the engine and put a 12 valve cummins it lol
I just about had a heart attack when they gave me the estimate. I did everything myself with about $6-700.00.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it does come down to the injectors and you want to rebuild yourself - Jim (Rosewood Diesel) is a very good man to work with and he'll anwere any & all questions in my experience.

Here is the link:

http://www.diy-injectors.com/

Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
beansdiesel
Senior User
If it is hard to start when its cold then your poppets are wore out. In this case it will be useless to rebuild them yourself and if they are bad enough it is better just to get some new injs. It will depend on how bad the poppets are worn, they can be machined back into shape but not always. Definetly not the job for a DIYer on fixin those.

Quick Reply: bad injectors