1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

250 Gas or Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you ask them how long they keep them though? If they use(and abuse) them, sell them at 2 yrs, then the dependability becomes someone else's problem. I promise you if a landscaping company is using them to haul everything, skid steers, trees, mowers, maybe tractors w/ front end loaders(another type of skid steer, not the most popular one with landscapers though, althought I like them better then bobcats) and during their peak business season, they are getting abused. I wouldn't get a used one that has been thru that, diesel, I wouldn't hesitate, but gas that's been thru that, unless I didn't have a choice b/c of economics that would be one thing, but not if I had a choice. Now for what you use it for, it is perfect, but I would think again if I was in a business, particularly one like landscaping that has to haul some pretty good size equipment, if your of any size, which it sounds to me like the one your talking about is.

Last edited by tex25025; 03-26-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Blue Dog
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is another story...most companies especially the bigger ones do not keep vehicles forever...unless these are heavy equipment type (ex. bucket trucks)...since it is an tax write off to purchase new equipments and vehicles as an replacement. The point is, these companies purchases these trucks and abuse them...they look for dependablity for the years they have them on hand...
Image if it was just an owner using an 5.4 gasser with some little or no towing, this is an ideal vehicle if someone is looking for an reliable truck that has some omph to pull occasional heavy stuff...with good mileage and years of use. To add to that...with so many companies owning those 5.4 v-8 equiped SuperDuties, you are bound to find the parts at salvage yards.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:07 AM
scottman70
Posting Guru
I am sure that all the diesel owners would back me on this one: Once you have owned a Diesel truck it's almost impossible to go back. THey make more power at lower RPM's and are more econimcal with the better mpg's. I will pay more in diesel fuel to get more power any day of the week. Go diesel and you'll never look back. Before I owned a Diesel I would argue that gas is cheaper and maintenance is cheaper like all the gasser people do in the forum. BUT once you have bought a diesel you'll never want a gasser again! I have owned 2 gas suburbans 1 Cummins Mega Cab and my 6.0 Excursion. Looking back now I wasted money on the gassers, but din't think that while I was driving them. Go Diesel I KNOW you will be much more satisfied!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:24 PM
madjak
Elder User

I agree with scottman 70. I have owned a V10 and 7.3 and there is no comparison
to the inherent value of the 7.3 PSD compared to the V10. Try and sell a v10
with todays gas prices. Try to trade a V10 in.....dealers don't want them.
This is my first diesel but I don't think I will ever go back to gas. Your truck is a big
investment.......get something that will have some value when it is paid for.

Jack
2003 F250 4WD 7.3 PSD Lariat Crew Cab

Old 03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dog
The point is, these companies purchases these trucks and abuse them...they look for dependablity for the years they have them on hand...
Thats the thing though, you can't always be able to say that your going to be able to turn in that vehicle after just 2 yrs of abuse, other things happen. Let's say your having to keep that v-8 when it's 6 yrs old and having to do the same abuse, are you going to think its still as dependable as it was between 1-2 yrs old? I doubt it very much, whereis, I would not hesitat to keep my diesel up to the 6 yr marker(and I put some serious miles, your looking at over 300k for me in 6 yrs(avg. 170k in three)). Which one do you think will still be able to handle it? To me dependability goes to if you HAD TO keep it longer then normal, would it still be there for you at the same level of work as before? Not, i can get this cheaper vehicle that is barely sufficient, but I have to get rid of it after 3 yrs, sometimes life just doesn't work out like that, you have to be able to think longer then that. The price tags on newer vehicles aren't going to go down, you might have to live with what you have a little longer to where you can afford a newer one with less of an economic stress.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:08 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
I remember a thread a while back where the member had the right answer.

Buy one of both and get rid of the one you don't drive. The bottom line is you'll get opinions on both sides forever! Both have pros and cons.

I have one of both. My gasser gets used for short hops that would be tough on a diesel...remember they're not designed to be grocery getters. For just about everything else...we're in the diesel.

Find somebody you trust with each. Drive each and ask that person's opinion. After that, it's time to make your decision....unless you're well off enought to go buy one of each! LOL!!

Old 03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
im so freakin sick of this mpg crap from diesels...my sisters b/f 7.3 get 16 mpg and i get 13 (in the summer) with the cost of gas vs diesel around here it pretty much evens out...MPG is not a good reason to buy a diesel...i dont care what you guys say, as a matter of fact dont even come back on this one....longevity and power yeah...mpg hell no!!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:00 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
so angry you are, cheer up it's a forum for people to share opinions

Old 03-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Blue Dog
Junior User
Or "FACTS"...some people can be really set in their mind on an particlar opinion...and will not listen to reason....which makes this forum site interesting....with the lively debates...

Old 03-26-2007, 03:20 PM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Originally Posted by CounterMaker
im so freakin sick of this mpg crap from diesels...my sisters b/f 7.3 get 16 mpg and i get 13 (in the summer) with the cost of gas vs diesel around here it pretty much evens out...MPG is not a good reason to buy a diesel...i dont care what you guys say, as a matter of fact dont even come back on this one....longevity and power yeah...mpg hell no!!
I'll agree with you with regards to either not towing or towing "light", say...less than 5-7K lbs. Where you start to see significant MPG improvements is when you're pulling a pretty heavy load.

I don't see much difference in my '05 Expy 5.4L and my '03 F250 6.0L when just driving around, town or highway. But strap on my 7000lb dry travel trailer (probably about 8500lbs wet and loaded), and the numbers really move apart. I get about 6-7mpg on average with the Expy, and about 12-13mpg with F250.

I'd say that's pretty signifcant, so I came back on ya anyway

TX

Old 03-26-2007, 03:26 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
its not a fact and im not hostile at all ...its 80 and sunny here in ohio YEAH!!!! but back to the topic...some are saying a diesel is a great buy and there main argument is mpg...well if you dont tow at all or tow moderatley or even heavy the 5.4 and the 6.8 gassers will suit you fine..the price of diesel vs gas is aout .30 higher here and the upfront cost plus maintenence makes the better mpg a very weak argument...ok talk to me about how itll tow 10k lbs better than my 5.4 or 15k better than the 6.8 and ill listen, but for someone who rarely does heavy towing, has a much broader option than just the diesel, and some of the diesel guys think that the diesel is the only option that should be available in the SD...and as for the person who stated that its hard to go back to gas after owning a diesel...i will never own a diesel...go ahead and state your opinion and yes ive driven both...and no i havenet owned a diesel...i will always drive a large truck and gas is sufficient for me...ok im going to go clean the slug now

Old 03-26-2007, 03:31 PM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry
I'll agree with you with regards to either not towing or towing "light", say...less than 5-7K lbs. Where you start to see significant MPG improvements is when you're pulling a pretty heavy load.

I don't see much difference in my '05 Expy 5.4L and my '03 F250 6.0L when just driving around, town or highway. But strap on my 7000lb dry travel trailer (probably about 8500lbs wet and loaded), and the numbers really move apart. I get about 6-7mpg on average with the Expy, and about 12-13mpg with F250.

I'd say that's pretty signifcant, so I came back on ya anyway

TX
yes i agree with you 100%...the mpg is going to be drastically better when you strap some weight to it but some poeple claim that the weight of the truck itself i to much for the 5.4...but im able to squeeze 13.4 mpg around town out of my 5.4 (that was before the cat back...now im always in it ) if i worked in the field where i towed heavy equipment than maybe i would look harder at a diesel (after all the majority of SD truck are diesel ) but for someone who doesnt much if anything at all mpg is not a good argument at all...

Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
triton185
Junior User
I have owned a 2000 F-250 with the V-10 (4.30 gears) in the past and now own a 2000 F-350 with the 7.3 PSD. Both were 4x4, supercab, long beds.

As far as everyday driving (not towing), I enjoyed driving the V-10. And stock to stock the V-10 will smoke the 7.3 PSD (as I said mine had 4.30 gears). Go ahead and try to tell me otherwise but I have had both.

That being said, I am throughly happy with my 7.3 PSD. I won't go back to the V-10 as long as I can afford to have a diesel. I pull a car hauler a couple of days a week and like that low end torque.

There is no comparison on resell value. Everybody wants the diesel and very few people would pick the v-10 over it with all things being equal. BUT if you are buying a used v-10 then this is in your advantage. You can pick up a heavy duty truck capable of pulling about any thing the average person would ever pull for the price of a half ton.

Anyway, just my .02

Old 03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
I think this horse (no pun intended) is dead and we should stop kicking it...

Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM
triton185
Junior User
Thumbs up

I'm done.................

Quick Reply: 250 Gas or Diesel?